The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tubeguy

Re: ffmpeg

#1461 Post by tubeguy »

sszindian wrote:Yes... Terminal... However, when you type run command, it only takes you to the www.ffmpeg site where there is a ton of info.

If you have to run it from terminal, forget it, not worth the hastle. It's simply easier to go to another Puppy where I have it installed as a 'MENU ITEM' and use it there..

Wonder why 525 forgot to set this up ??

Anyway, thanks for all your help bigpup!

>>>---Indian------>
I think ffmpeg is command line only, other programs use ffmpeg to perform tasks from within a GUI environment. I just today discovered ffmpeg for transcoding audio and it is fantastic. Image
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

myke

Security

#1462 Post by myke »

I think, RandSec, what people are trying to tell you is that they can only understand what you are saying when you write "This is to introduce SecurPup based on Lucid [or whatever], which implements the security ideas that I think Puppy should have."

Once you have done that the discussion becomes concrete and not abstract. And your influence becomes greater.

In short, people listen and react to "proof of concept" not to abstract discussions.
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

bigpup

Re: ffmpeg

#1463 Post by bigpup »

tubeguy wrote:
sszindian wrote:Yes... Terminal... However, when you type run command, it only takes you to the www.ffmpeg site where there is a ton of info.

If you have to run it from terminal, forget it, not worth the hastle. It's simply easier to go to another Puppy where I have it installed as a 'MENU ITEM' and use it there..

Wonder why 525 forgot to set this up ??

Anyway, thanks for all your help bigpup!

>>>---Indian------>
I think ffmpeg is command line only, other programs use ffmpeg to perform tasks from within a GUI environment. I just today discovered ffmpeg for transcoding audio and it is fantastic. Image
Could this be what you are looking for for ffmpeg?
FFconvert
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54056
It's a frontend for Ffmpeg.
Attachments
ffconvert.jpg
(28.88 KiB) Downloaded 1155 times

ABNormal

#1464 Post by ABNormal »

i'm trying the new 5.25 and HDMI detection is still wrong.

ATI Radeon hd5670
monitor hanns-g hg281d

sszindian

FFmpeg

#1465 Post by sszindian »

bigpup.... my hat's off to you, that ffmpegconvert frontend was exactly what I was looking for.. Appreciate all your time and effort on this! 'Thanks.'

I don't honestly remember how I got that before for other Pup's, gosh. my head is 'Puppy-Spinning' from so much testing on the last two versions plus I fool with a few other versions, plus I run Joli OS (jolicloud) system which I really do believe (cloud) is the future for computer users, sure would like to see a puppy-CLOUD down the road! I presented John Murga with an email on this subject awhile back to get his thoughts on possibly suggesting a place to try an announcement somewhere and see what the Puppy developers think about the possibilities.... he never responded... at least not yet... must be a busy person!!! At any rate, I think Puppy would be a perfect CLOUD system if someone would develop the browser for it!

As you stated, ffmpeg (latest edition) is already installed in 525 so it appears that the two ffmpeg packages in the PPM are really not necessary... I'll check that out with a convert later today. If this is so, maybe it would be a good idea for someone to get the ffmpeg convert.pet in the PPM.

Hmmm... now we're back to a 'perfect Puppy' again... :D

>>>---Indian------>

Greatnessguru

BaCon for Lucid 5.25?

#1466 Post by Greatnessguru »

Hello,

I'ld like to tinker a bit with BaCon that Barry talks about.
I run Lucid 5.25. I installed lupu_devx_525.sfs.
"gcc --help" works, but "bacon --help": ERROR: file not found!

I also did Update in PPM. I found no "bacon" PETs there.

Is "BaCon" available for Lucid 5.25? How?

Thank you,
Eddie Maddox

playdayz

#1467 Post by playdayz »

Thanks to technosaurus and BarryK
Thunar 1.0.2 with good icons and everything!!!
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 1-i486.pet

Remember: Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 16:09, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#1468 Post by playdayz »

Yes, it is in lupu_devx_525.sfs.
Attachments
bacon-yes.png
(9.26 KiB) Downloaded 1090 times

Greatnessguru

#1469 Post by Greatnessguru »

playdayz wrote:

Yes, it is in lupu_devx_525.sfs.
# bacon
# bacon -h
It works! How wonderful.

Btw, I would like to see a wrapper, or whatever, for Ghostscript.
I don't see BaCon docs on how to do that,
just a list of ones that have already been done.
How can I learn how to do this?

Thanks very much,
Eddie Maddox

rcrsn51

#1470 Post by rcrsn51 »

Could someone please try doing a flash drive install with BootFlash?

In my tests, the procedure hung and left the drive as unallocated space. There appears to be a conflict between /usr/sbin/makebootfat and the file /usr/lib/syslinux/ldlinux.bss. When I replaced ldlinux.bss with the version from Quirky, the install worked correctly.

Possibly a new and incompatible version of syslinux has been introduced?

bigpup

#1471 Post by bigpup »

Bootflash did the same thing to me. Seems you are right about a problem.
Did what you said it did to you.

RandSec

Problem Playing Music CD on 5.2.5

#1472 Post by RandSec »

While running 5.2.5 loaded from LiveDVD, I wanted to listen to a simple music CD. All-in-all, 3 different players failed: Gnome, Pmusic and pCD. By "failed" I mean they locked up tight and had to be killed. This happened multiple times, with no sound produced. This system routinely plays videos with good sound. After considerable disbelief and confusion, I eventually downloaded and installed VLC, which worked fine the first time. Perhaps someone can clarify the issue for me. Thanks!

James C

Re: Problem Playing Music CD on 5.2.5

#1473 Post by James C »

RandSec wrote:While running 5.2.5 loaded from LiveDVD, I wanted to listen to a simple music CD. All-in-all, 3 different players failed: Gnome, Pmusic and pCD. By "failed" I mean they locked up tight and had to be killed. This happened multiple times, with no sound produced. This system routinely plays videos with good sound. After considerable disbelief and confusion, I eventually downloaded and installed VLC, which worked fine the first time. Perhaps someone can clarify the issue for me. Thanks!
Testing as I'm posting.....put a Earth, Wind and Fire cd in the optical drive, the disc showed up as sr0. Clicked the icon and pCD started playing, no problem.

Pmusic.....working here too.

MPlayer.....works too, however won't change tracks.
All 3 play here and nothing locked up so.........I would normally suggest something corrupted in the install bur since you're running from DVD that's doubtful.Hopefully someone else will have a good idea or two.

Oh, I'm running a frugal install of 525.

scsijon

oh hal!

#1474 Post by scsijon »

I seem to have a problem :oops: , i'm missing the hal deamon at /usr/sbin/hald, am I alone?

thanks
scsijon

Minnesota

Puppy installer

#1475 Post by Minnesota »

Not sure if related to the comment "rcrsn51: Could someone please try doing a flash drive install with BootFlash? " As I do not know what bootflash is... However, yesterday I tried four times, on two different duel processor machines to build a STICK... using the universal installer. All seems to go well.. till I attempt to boot. Loading starts and then says it can not find...xxxx 525.sfs. Dropping to randisk console...

It is on the drive, I can see it. Has anyone else been able to build a stick with in 525. Earlier versions worked. I will see if I can find or try again with earlier versions. I even cleaned and reformatted the stick to ext3 with Gparted. Still same problem. Did I answer a question wrong?
Thanks.

rcrsn51

Re: Puppy installer

#1476 Post by rcrsn51 »

Minnesota wrote: As I do not know what bootflash is...
BootFlash is on the same menu as the Puppy Universal Installer. It is the alternate tool for doing flash drive installs.

I tried the Universal Installer several ways (vfat, ext, etc) and it worked correctly every time.

When you boot your flash drive, does the line

Code: Select all

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives...
show some red dots?

Minnesota

Boot stick

#1477 Post by Minnesota »

Yes, then crunches a bit,
Next msg, shows Searching for Puppy Files in computer Disk Drives..

THEN
Pink: Searching deeper, sub-sub-folders in partitions... RED: lupu_525.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console....

#

I am attempting to boot from the stick.. NO HARD drives... Nothing in the CD drive....

AH.... PROBLEM IS LACK OF a hard disk... Just slid in a hard drive...and it is booting fine.... so that is the problem... try a boot without any hard drive!

rcrsn51

Re: Boot stick

#1478 Post by rcrsn51 »

Minnesota wrote: PROBLEM IS LACK OF a hard disk... Just slid in a hard drive...and it is booting fine.... so that is the problem...
This business with the red dots first appeared in Wary and has now filtered into other Puppies via Woof. I'm pretty sure that previous Puppies have been able to boot off flash drives with no hard drive present.

rcrsn51

#1479 Post by rcrsn51 »

I can confirm Minnesota's bug. I disconnected the hard drive from a machine and booted off a valid Lupu 525 flash drive. I got the red dots, followed by "lupu_525.sfs not found".

I then booted off a Quirky 1.1 flash drive. It worked fine.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

Re: Boot stick

#1480 Post by bigpup »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Minnesota wrote: PROBLEM IS LACK OF a hard disk... Just slid in a hard drive...and it is booting fine.... so that is the problem...
This business with the red dots first appeared in Wary and has now filtered into other Puppies via Woof. I'm pretty sure that previous Puppies have been able to boot off flash drives with no hard drive present.
Info on what are red dots about?
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02001