Quirky 1.4 bug reports and feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Billtoo

Quirky 1.5

#121 Post by Billtoo »

I installed quirky to a 4 gb flash drive.
On first boot a popup screen came up saying the mouse pointer hadn't
moved, I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with this netbook and it
is working fine.
The screen resolution is set to 800x600, it should be 1024x600.
Sound works, I set the levels with alsamixer.
Wireless network is working, I have a linksys usb wireless adapter
plugged in and it uses the rt73 usb driver.

Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Memory 1813MB (83MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.14
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 15 Apr 2011 09:13:03 AM EDT
Display
Resolution 800x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor (null)
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Logitech USB Receiver
Logitech USB Receiver
Power Button
Lid Switch
Sleep Button
Power Button
Video Bus
PC Speaker
1.3M WebCam

VGA compatible controller ATI Technologies Inc Device 9712
Audio device ATI Technologies Inc Device 970f
Ethernet controller Attansic Technology Corp. Device 1073
Network controller Broadcom Corporation Device 4357

The builtin ethernet and wireless adapters aren't detected.
Attachments
popup.jpg
(25.44 KiB) Downloaded 2295 times

peebee

Almost good

#122 Post by peebee »

Hi Barry

Tried the BABY version frugal install on my HP550 laptop - booted fine, only problem is that the new quirky only uses part of my screen - it should be 1280*800 but looks 1024 wide as there are big black bars down each side. The display that is showing is fine. I tried going out to the prompt and run xorgwizard which did probe as expected and found my 1280*800 screen but on return to xwin the truncated screen was still shown.

Wifi connection via SNS was OK but disconnected after a short time (a regular problem with some puppies) and I'm posting from Seamonkey now (but had 2 prompts to download flashplayer so far.

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

nooby

#123 Post by nooby »

Re this thing "Wifi connection via SNS was OK but disconnected after a short time (a regular problem with some puppies) "

Did they not joke about it in teh Lupu 525 thread that it had a Stay connected button that pinged the relevant thing often enough to allow it to stay connected. I am not on that level so I failed to get what they talk about but me being on LAN was not affected and I did see the stay connected once and then never found it again so do a search and maybe you find it? Some stay connected pet???
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rjbrewer

#124 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:Re this thing "Wifi connection via SNS was OK but disconnected after a short time (a regular problem with some puppies) "

Did they not joke about it in teh Lupu 525 thread that it had a Stay connected button that pinged the relevant thing often enough to allow it to stay connected. I am not on that level so I failed to get what they talk about but me being on LAN was not affected and I did see the stay connected once and then never found it again so do a search and maybe you find it? Some stay connected pet???
Oops,

wrong post.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

taca0

#125 Post by taca0 »

Hi,

Just to report that Vesa not works on my VIA EPIA M board. I had use Xorg vesa and work only with Xorg version 7.3 1.3.0 or a new one 1.9.5 .

nooby

#126 Post by nooby »

Testing 1.42 full version. Jay that one got internet right away and pictureviewer works but am I suppose to download a video viewer?

Is this a bug? I look in Menu > Multimedia > there is GMPlayer but nothign happens when I click on it. Play button on Desktop also link to defaultmediaplayer but nothing happens when I click. Should it?

okay Maybe I am supposed to use PPM to install one by choice.

SM worked I write from within it now. But when I use SFS-Exec-Dir that Seaside have built then it refuse to start both Firefox 3.6.13.sfs and 4.07.sfs
which it does on other puppies. Is that due to Seamonkey? How can I tell SM to accept FF instead?

My computer usually fail to get internet on older puppies so this one has more drivers.

No criticism but I think SM should be a choice and not included by default.

There is a guy starting a new thread about Qrky 1,5 maybe some of you can help him? Too advanced for me.

ttuuxxx

#127 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi Barry here's 2 tiny video and audio converters I compiled on qrky-142-BABY.iso
I tested them both and they worked, they use ffmpeg as the backend
ttuuxxx
Attachments
TranscoderVideoEdition-0.0.5.pet
(28.45 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
TranscoderAudioEdition-0.0.5.pet
(22.19 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#128 Post by ttuuxxx »

I also Compiled a static version of xfburn-0.4.3,
exo-0.6.0 <--static
libburn-1.0.6 <--static
libisoburn-1.0.8-i386 <--static
libisofs-1.0.6 <--static
libxfce4util-4.8.1 <--static
libxfcegui4-4.8.0 <--static

I also added each function into the menu, and Right click rox functions when clicking on a iso image to format the cdrw/dvdrw or to burn the iso.
like below
ttuuxxx
Attachments
xfburn.jpg
(30.27 KiB) Downloaded 1764 times
xfburn2.jpg
(45.58 KiB) Downloaded 1965 times

ttuuxxx

#129 Post by ttuuxxx »

here's xfce's task manager static deps version.
it also has a taskbar icon that when you hover on it, it displays system resources.
I also converted a gnome icon for it, it was 5kb in size, when I was finished with it, it was 500 bits in size, 1/10 the original size :), yes it was a bit of shadow loss, and I recoloured most of it, it it still looks really nice :)
ttuuxxx
Attachments
taskmanager.jpg
(75.2 KiB) Downloaded 1758 times
xfce4-taskmanager-1.0.0-i386.pet
(61.85 KiB) Downloaded 522 times

nooby

#130 Post by nooby »

Testing 142 and it is maybe me not getting it.

SeaMonkey works good but when I try to use a Firefox.sfs then it refuse to start up.

Are seamonkey and firefox fighting for dominance something? Tested with two different sfs 3.6.13 and 4.0

ttuuxxx

#131 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi nooby, not sure which firefox your using? Is it one that Barry compiled?
I just tried the latest mozzila firefox release package on wary and it worked, just extract it /lib and opened the folder and clicked the firefox script and it ran.
ttuuxxx

nooby

#132 Post by nooby »

ttuuxxx wrote:hi nooby, not sure which firefox your using? Is it one that Barry compiled?
I just tried the latest mozzila firefox release package on wary and it worked, just extract it /lib and opened the folder and clicked the firefox script and it ran.
ttuuxxx
I am in Q142 now but I am not that bright so I can extract in /lib without totally messing it up. and I am a poor reader of text.

You took it from FF mozilla themselves.

I am talking a about two different FF3.6.13.sfs and FF4.sfs that I have found in the forum. To do what you write is beyond me. I would screw up the whole pupsave most likely so

I am asking what is it about this latest Q142 is it the wrong kernel most likely?

`f00

#133 Post by `f00 »

xfburn I like (and the libs'll come in handy for mousepad .. maybe that thunar deal as well if not packed with the dotpet)

speaking of file managers, is a recompile of xfe indicated? (some bobbles in my old compact-version copyover in other pups at times). no-nls and only the xfe theme icon-dir are my prefs (plus xfw and xfv add-ons for a little functional bloat) if you're in the mood.

about three hours of dialup-dl 'labor' to go for the Baby :)

`f00

#134 Post by `f00 »

first and continuing looks

With my hwr, q142-baby went to a viable 800x600 (24bit) desk right after the usual locale run-through (tz GMT-5 retained correctly on first go, no need to fiddle with it in-X). Not that much more effort to edit the xorg.conf, re-X and get a more convenient 1024x768 (24bit) display size.

What I was hoping for - shinobar's sfs_load on-the-fly works just dandy (even on initial run!). This is great for liveCD multisession fans since you can check out an sfs before you commit to it, roll your own sfs and check it or whatever your setup and tools allow. The only slight disadvantage on disc media is that the sfses are burned-to-disc once committed at save (the mbs can add up with large packages like OO).

Small annoyance - fast scrolling shows a 'tearing' visual effect as drawing breaks down (possibly might be 'fixed' by taking depth down to 16bit from 24, but I'd rather have 24's smoother look than 16's 'blockiness' with finer-graded images).

Fairly easy to get everthing trimmed and as I like it (guess the xcompmgr stuff was left out to keep vesa driver as simple as possible). q142-baby looks like a winner here :)

___addenda-110512
..(wt%#&@ is this login-password nonsense? when it's supposed to be saving session to cd savedir :| )
a) a short synopsis - needed to remaster the livecd (to effectively get rid of some things that persisted and tidy up in general) and after a try or two finally got it reasonably correct (or so it seemed, I thought it might be clear sailing after the 2nd remaster got past the initial save with no foulups).

b) But no. About the 2nd or 3rd savedir reboot->save(yes) went to

Code: Select all

login[29088]: root login on 'tty1'
# _
.. %#&@, this 'option' or whatever never ends well for me :( .. maybe "login --help" might give some insight, so try "login -f" and that needs an argument so maybe "login -f root" but that goes back to a similar rehash of

Code: Select all

login[29088]: root login on 'tty1'
# _
:roll: , maybe "login -p" and that goes to a delightful "puppypc login:" which when "root" is entered gives "password" and <enterkey> doesn't seem correct or any other thrash that I tried .. I did get it to give me "ogin" and "assword" which at that point in time seemed fairly appropriate until I hit/held the casebutton out of frustration.

c) how do I get rid of this login-password nonsense when all I want to do is have it save the blessed session to a savedir like it's supposed to on reboot/poweroff->save? Should I make sure the /etc/pssword(?) file is not in the next remaster or what? Mostly I simply blank the 'given' /tmp/root dir's contents and copy the working /root contents to it and then check /tmp/etc to ensure that the setup I want is there (as far as I can tell).

Despite all that, a couple bg variations (1024x768) on q142's 'default.jpg' in the following attachment - full-size screenie-link to subtler jwm-'branded' sample @138k

___addenda110515
.. my bad - was doing odd things (as per usual for me) and forgot to rename a loaded sfs back to original working name after poking about looking at the contents (like I tell the cat, curiosity may be regarded as a coin with two sides and a rim :lol: ), it's pretty much all good after a blank-disc and reburn of the 2nd remaster iso (~178mb or macpup-ish in size, a strange-but-true savings size-wise was to remove the /*sfses - somehow they seem to get incorporated into the mix anyway after some use so the actual squashfiles might be considered as mere bulk .. or at least that's how it turned out in the 1st remaster that weighed in at 277mb :grunt:, adding the devx sfs was just a tad much for that one on liveCDmulti - foof, the disc mounted as boot anyway so no loss and even a bit of gain in redoing for slim-ish the next time). Been avoiding the possibility of having to deal with the above-noted 'nonsense' by using savesession-dvd while in-X after the initial save. That 'nonsense' is just confusing to me (why it happens at reboot/poweroff->save) .. notice during boots that it 'autologins' to tty1 so probably just an anomaly. Even if it throws up the demi-warning graypage, yah I can ignore that just fine and all seems kopacetic.

___addenda 110703
Tried twm-1.0.3 window manager in this pup and it works well - same window-resize issue as w512 but the proper bmp images for the titlebar endbuttons showed (maybe something there since only the generic '?' bmp images showed in w020 and w512 for me). mplayershell was missing a lib or so somewhere along the way (pulled from wary and good to go).
vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used, but also RV280 (switched off in BIOS - aka Radeon 9200SE), PCI (old-style)
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCD multisession (cd-rw media)
limitations - no printer, no internet connection
Attachments
q142e-bg.tar.gz
md5=59e0493b78e7891d246edb975eac24b5
(76.13 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
Last edited by `f00 on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

linuxcbon

#135 Post by linuxcbon »

quirkybaby 1.4.2

video window doesn't occupy full screen
asks which sound card -- not simple to guess
asks to choose mouse if not moving -- not needed
chat icon doesnt work (no pidgin)
play icon doesnt work because missing shared library: libXv.so.1

postfs1

#136 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 00:38, edited 15 times in total.

postfs1

#137 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.