[SOLVED] Serial mouse doesn't work (error during boot ?)

Booting, installing, newbie
evtooms

[SOLVED] Serial mouse doesn't work (error during boot ?)

#1 Post by evtooms »

Hello (and please excuse my bad English)

I am trying to install Puppy Linux 5.2.5 on an old Pentium II PC with a classic serial Logitech mouse.

When I boot in normal mode, an error shows up just before the loading of X-Window. Therefore, I am not able to see it for more that one second.

The error looks like : "/etc/oldmousebutton Folder does not exist"

I imagine that my mouse was properly detected but that the path of the correct driver was mistyped by the developpers.

But I am a total newbie when it comes to configuring Linux... Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a way to correct the bug, or to install the mouse manually. Could you please help me or just send me a link to a page explaining something I could try ? Thanks a lot in advance !
Last edited by evtooms on Fri 15 Apr 2011, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

So, X starts, but you have no mouse movement. Then type CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to kill X, then type:

# xorgwizard

You will see an option to test X, and an option to change the mouse and choose a serial mouse.

Puppy does not auto-detect a serial mouse, it has to be selected manually.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

evtooms

#3 Post by evtooms »

OK, In fact I thought there was an error because X had failed to load something called "oldmousebutton".

But anyway, as you adviced me to do, I killed X, runned xorgwizard, chose "serial mouse / COM1" and now it works perfectly.

Thanks a lot for your help !