How to make a ISO file adding changes to Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
naena

How to make a ISO file adding changes to Puppy?

#1 Post by naena »

I 'Sinhala-enabled' my Puppy. Sinhala is an Indic language that is a bit more complicated than the other Indics because it has multiple orthographies.

There are two ways Sinhala could be written on the computer:
1. Using a smartfont that automatically makes all the complex letters as you type phonetically using the Latin character set (US-International keyboard)
2. Using the characters in the Sinhala code page and the special Sinhala keyboard.

These are the enhancements I made:
Added the necessary keyboard variants to 'us' and 'lk' keyboard layouts
and added Sinhala fonts. These required updating of 'xorg.conf' and 'base.lst' files.

Please see this page:
http://www.ahangama.com/puppy/index.htm

Now I want to make a CD iso file that has these changes. I read the Woof support pages. They seem to be about making your own distribution of some distro you like. What I want to do is simply to extend the official Wary and Lucid versions because they are pretty adequate for most people and especially for the poor people in Sri Lanka. It would be great if I could also change the date format to the European format, which is what Lankans use (yymmdd).

I have only about six weeks experience with Linux. Could someone help, please?

Thanks

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Have you looked at the ' ISO Master iso file editor' in Start/Multimedia.

It gives you the option to rebuild the ISO and create a new one without altering the original.

666philb

#3 Post by 666philb »

In 'menu/setup' you'll find 'remaster puppy-live cd' which will make a new iso/cd of puppy with all installed apps included.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

naena also take a look at Shinobar's localization project for Wary 5 Multilingual he adds new languages as often he is able to. So he most likely would welcome that you add your language and he may know how to do this too.

If you do frugal install on a HDD then you can have an untouched Puppy running in parallell to the test version so you can reboot into the untouched and do remaster as they describe and then reboot and test the new version within minutes without having to burnd a CD or DVD and that seems practical way to test your progress in making a local version of Puppy.

Multilingual support on Puppy Linux 4.x/5.x

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51702

here is for the Wary Puppy linux version
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63503
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

naena

Thanks

#5 Post by naena »

Thank you.

It's like I am surrounded by angels -- Guardian angels.

I am going to try all the suggestions and report back how I did it.

Again, thanks

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Yes that will be interesting and I do hope Shinobar get a big friendly smile on his face when you want to add your language to his collection.

Have you looked if it is already there? I am too lazy to help you find the link to his text about it but use the link in my signature and search for list of language he has. maybe key word to search in wellminded

Shinobar localization language
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

naena

Making an extended Puppy

#7 Post by naena »

Well, here I am again.

The system I am working on is 525 upgraded with the late-breaking patch.

Last few days I tuned the new system. It has a perfectly working menu; I uninstalled programs that do not work and those which are duplicates. Then I added Skype and Team Viewer. It has Firefox 5.0 (It updated automatically)

There are three things that make it extended for Singhala:
A set of web pages in that language in a folder called Singhala inside the /usr/share/doc folder (see it on the web: http://lovatasinhala.com/puppy/) plus a link to them on the desktop

Another folder called Singhala with Singhala fonts at /usr/fonts/truetype;

And most importantly, a Keyboard Layout Variant added to LK layout at /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/. This is for typing translit Singhala.

Now I wanted to use the Remaster tool to make the CD. It takes you all the way and stonewalls you when it tells you to edit the SFS file. It cannot be opened because Puppy thinks it is in use thinking it is the same one that the system is running on(?). Actually, you can edit lupu-525.sfs if you rename it. I tried Remaster 3 times and each time it gave me the original CD removing all the edits. New root, usr and etc folders are thrown out! I removed the remaster program from the system so no one else suffers what I went through.

So I decide to make the files of the CD by hand. Actually, I copied the contents of the CD and replaced lupu_525.sfs in it. I replaced the following folders in lupu_525.sfs,
bin, dev, etc, lib, root, sbin, usr, var.
with the ones in the current system.

There is an extra folder called sys in the system that was not in the original sfs file. I think it is a new virtual folder that was added with the upgrade.
Used mksquashfs command to compress the folder.

I used ISOMaster to make the iso file. Its a great program. The resulting iso file is pretty much like the downloaded Lupu_525.iso. Whether I create it from Windows 7 or Puppy (BurnISO2CD), the CD is not bootable. I tried both capital file names and lower case.

I think I don't know the secret of making the iso a bootable set.

HELP!

zagreb999

Make Iso of Precise 571 Pae

#8 Post by zagreb999 »

Dear Mr.!
There is no problem!
Please,
1)take an Iso of Puppy precise 571 pae!
2) Install it- unetbootin,
3) Make your own save file with all
your files with your language!
4) Take pet file of PupRemaster from
puppy Carolina packages!
5) No problem with custom Iso file.
Move Pupremaster and take the directory
with your own puppy precise plus save file.
Just in 5 minutes you will have New Iso!
----------
Kind Regards.