PupServer-435

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
p310don

#41 Post by p310don »

Sorry to derail the thread a little, but I installed shinobar's samba sfs, which is newer than the samba in this pup, and it does work to browse files on my n900. Shame, I like the setup provided here more!

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

@irishrm: To access your Puppy shared printer from a client machine, read How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Lupu/Quirky/Wary

irishrm

Re: pupserver 435 printing.

#43 Post by irishrm »

jrb wrote: On your client open Setup->CUPS PrinterWizard->No->Printers and you should see the printer you have installed on Pupserver435. Just choose "Set as Default" and its a done deal.
I have two clients and all that shows up are the printers that are installed on the clients.

▼ Queue Name ▼ Description Location Make and Model Status
CUPS-PDF CUPS-PDF Ghostscript Idle
epson660 epson660 Epson Stylus Color 660 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Idle
pdf_writer PDF Local Printer Local Raw Printer Idle
i,e the above:

The printer installed on the server is an epson830u and appears to be working properly.
I tried the search for printers option but nothing showed up.
Maybe its a problem with the computer I'm using as a server. If I don't find a solution I might try setting the server up on a different computer.(I have three but they are all ancient, 10 yrs approx )

Anyway I must compliment you on the excellent puppy you have produced. Even without the printing option its extremely useful and so easy to setup.

Thanks again for your help-irishrm

jrb

#44 Post by jrb »

irishrm wrote:I have two clients and all that shows up are the printers that are installed on the clients.
When you open CUPS on your clients do they see the printers on the other clients? What version of Puppy are you using on the clients?

jrb

#45 Post by jrb »

p310don wrote:Sorry to derail the thread a little, but I installed shinobar's samba sfs, which is newer than the samba in this pup, and it does work to browse files on my n900. Shame, I like the setup provided here more!
I just uploaded
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... 35tngG.iso.
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... so-md5.txt
This is the same Pupserver435 but using rcrsn51's tng samba server. Give it a try and see if your n900 will talk to it.

Good Luck, J

irishrm

#46 Post by irishrm »

jrb wrote: When you open CUPS on your clients do they see the printers on the other clients? What version of Puppy are you using on the clients?
I just see the printers installed on the individual computers.
I'm running Wary 5.1.1 on one client and lupu 5.1.1 on the other.
Would you recommend trying the server you have uploaded in the post on the previous page? If so I'll try it to-morrow-irishrm.

jrb

#47 Post by jrb »

irishrm wrote:
jrb wrote: When you open CUPS on your clients do they see the printers on the other clients? What version of Puppy are you using on the clients?
I just see the printers installed on the individual computers.
I'm running Wary 5.1.1 on one client and lupu 5.1.1 on the other.
Would you recommend trying the server you have uploaded in the post on the previous page? If so I'll try it to-morrow-irishrm.
I don't think that will make a difference. CUPS is the same in both. Let me try playing with some settings in Wary and lupu and I'll get back to you.

Cheers, J

p310don

#48 Post by p310don »

jrb wrote
I just uploaded
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... 35tngG.iso.
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... so-md5.txt
This is the same Pupserver435 but using rcrsn51's tng samba server. Give it a try and see if your n900 will talk to it.

Good Luck, J
Sorry jrb, I have already tried rcrsn51's samba-tng pet, which is also great to set up like your PupServer, but the phone doesn't like it. I did pm with rcrsn51 earlier to let him know that the phone doesn't play nicely. It's just finicky.

I have two machines that are used as file servers, an old one, using pupserver435 and a newer machine with lupu running sambaTNG by rcrsn51. They are both great solutions for everything, except the nokia n900.

Seeing as though you have made it though, I will try your modified PupServerTNG and see if it plays any nicer.

Thanks, will let you know the results.

Paul

irishrm

cups printing

#49 Post by irishrm »

Thanks for that jrb but hold off an that for a while. I have a feeling that the problem is a bad download. I have just done a fresh download and run it with pfix=ram. I think it installed cleaner and I notice some differences in how its working. As soon as I get a chance I'll install it properly and have a go at setting up the printing. I'll post back and let you know how I get on. This is something I really want to get working thanks again-irishrm

p310don

#50 Post by p310don »

Samba mounting on the n900 works fine. Well, almost fine.

On the n900 there is an app called wizard mounter that mounts samba shares. This does not work with standard pupserver, nor pupserverTNG, not samba TNG.pet etc. It does work with shinobar's samba sfs.

If I go into the command line, I can mount any type of samba share using -
mount -t cifs //<server>/<path> /<your>/<local>/<path> -o user=<user>,pass=<pass>,ip=<ip of server>,direct
Works, but not pretty. So thanks guys for your help making the different servers etc, but the problem is in the phone app, not puppy anything. Might have to get onto them to make it puppy compatible!!

rcrsn51

#51 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is this just because shinobar's Samba doesn't require a login, but the others do? Read the Samba-TNG thread for how to set it for no-login mode. It just requires a change to its smb.conf.

[Edit] I looked at PupServer-435 again and it's already running in share mode.

jrb

Re: cups printing

#52 Post by jrb »

irishrm wrote:This is something I really want to get working
Here's what I have found so far. If you have the firewall enabled on Pupserver435 it will block access to your shared printer when you try to access it with the CUPS easy install as mentioned above.

You can however install it on your client in CUPS as an "Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)" printer and setting

Code: Select all

ipp://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:631/printers/printer_name
where xxx.xxx.x.xxx is the ip address of the server. Get this by typing

# ifconfig
in a console. Should give you something like:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:17:A4:1F:AD:3A  
          inet addr:192.168.1.102  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
This works for me even with firewall enabled.

Good Luck, J

Note: I gave this a try after reading rcrsn51's How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Lupu/Quirky/Wary. Thanks rcrsn51. :D

irishrm

Re: cups printing

#53 Post by irishrm »

[quote="jrb"]
Good Luck, j
jbr an update:
I made a fresh download:
Made a frugal hard-drive install booted with grub4dos:
Installed printer with cups on server:
Followed your instructions on installing the server printer on the client:
Found the printer and made it the default:

I'm delighted to report that both the server and the printer are working perfectly and as you said it works even with firewall installed.

Can I thank you again for your help on this and for the very easy to follow instructions on how to complete the job. You certainly went out of your way to be helpful.
Could I throw in a big thank you to rcrsn51 as well.
irishrm.

shivish

Print from OS X and upgrade to lupu 528

#54 Post by shivish »

Hello!

First-off thank you so much for making this. Its made life so much easier. I had a bunch of ext4 hard disks with stuff on it and my attempt to install Freenas didn't go so well as it wanted to format all my HDD to ufs.

pupserver435 works like a charm, and I used p910nd to set up my printer for which there is no native linux driver, and it prints great from win7.

So here are my questions
1. For some reason my Mac can't print I used IP printing with Jetdirect, while win7 prints great
2. Is there a way to set this server up with lupu528, my system is fairly newer system and can be used as desktop in a pinch. I installed samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1.pet, p910nd and mini-dlna. Now I cant get all the drives to auto-mount, and show up for smb mount. I copies the smb.comf from pupserver-435 to lupu but still no effect. I dont know what the passwd for root is either so user=root and passwd=woofwoof didnt work.

Please help.

Thanks again

shivish

rcrsn51

#55 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is confusing. You have posted to a thread about Pupserver-435, but are talking about installing Samba-TNG in Lupu528. Which is it?

I tested samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1.pet in Luci528 and it worked fine. The login to the samba server is still root-woofwoof.

If you want to continue discussing Samba-TNG, you should post here.

shivish

Sorry about that

#56 Post by shivish »

I guess I am talking about Samba-TNG in Lupu528 and should post in that section. The reason I posted it here is that, I wanted to recreate the 435 experience. Samba-TNG started samba server but the drives didn't auto mount, nor would startmount application do it (it keeps saying save the session, for it to work, but I have saved the session, and rebooted multiple times). So I guess if you can tell me how you managed the automount of all drives on each boot. I'll be all set.

Thanks a bunch

shivish

rcrsn51

#57 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:If you want to continue discussing Samba-TNG, you should post here.

jrb

Re: Sorry about that

#58 Post by jrb »

shivish wrote:I guess I am talking about Samba-TNG in Lupu528 and should post in that section. The reason I posted it here is that, I wanted to recreate the 435 experience. Samba-TNG started samba server but the drives didn't auto mount, nor would startmount application do it (it keeps saying save the session, for it to work, but I have saved the session, and rebooted multiple times). So I guess if you can tell me how you managed the automount of all drives on each boot. I'll be all set.

Thanks a bunch

shivish
See here for an answer. 8)

tubeguy

Re: PupServer-435

#59 Post by tubeguy »

jrb wrote:Pupserver435 is a dedicated samba file and print server designed to be as easy as possible to use, no configuration required.
Right you are! Just turned my old lappie with a busted screen into a fileserver in about 3 minutes. Man this is great, thanks so much!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

tubeguy

connections limit?

#60 Post by tubeguy »

Is there a limit to the number of connections that can be made to PupServer? I'm thinking about using it at work as a simple file server (no printing) and we have 10 users.

Thanks
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]