Micromax 351g USB modem with Puppy 431

veejay

Micromax 351g USB modem with Puppy 431

#1 Post by veejay »

Dear Friends,

I tried to connect Micromax 351g USB modem (winmodem) in Puppy 431 live CD through ACer 2413 laptop. Vendor Id = 1c9e Product id = 9607

After making making changes in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-modswithch.... it swithched to modem mode. I mean, previously it was mounted as cdrom. Now, after the above mention change, modem not mounted as cdrom. It was detected as modem.

O.K., good! But, it in pupdial, it's not detecting modem in ttyUSBx port. Pupdial detects the inbuilt modem (ttySHSF0). Please anyone help me to solve this?

Can anyone suggest me which tiny linux OS is best suitable for micromax 351g?

FYI: All changes are saved in harddisk (pup170311.sfs)

thanks & regards
Vr

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

veejay,
Thank you for posting your problem. I can help you with it, but I need you to update your 4.3.1 puppy to bring it up to date.

If you are using 4.3.1 as originally released, you are missing out on over a year's worth of improvements to it. You do not need to improvise your way through this. Simply install the "upgrade" package from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 889#483889
into an existing pupsave environment. That gets you the latest-and-greatest modem support. But there is a complication, in that mode switching for your device is not yet included in the latest database. However, we can deal with that.

You can make a simple edit to a database file. When you are running with the upgraded 4.3.1, after booting, edit file /usr/share/usb_modeswitch.d/1c9e:f000

Code: Select all

########################################################
# MobiData MBD-200HU and others

DefaultVendor= 0x1c9e
DefaultProduct=0xf000

TargetVendor= 0x1c9e
TargetProductList="9000,9603,9605"

CheckSuccess=20

MessageContent="55534243123456788000000080000606f50402527000000000000000000000"
to change the line:

TargetProductList="9000,9603,9605"

to:

TargetProductList="9000,9603,9605,9607"

Then get rid of the detection of ttySHSF0, by getting into pupdial and clicking on CHOOSE, then ERASE, (Okay), then X and EXIT pupdial. (This will make sense when you see the newer pupdial, which is different from the original.) Then reboot and your modem should be detected automatically.

If you cannot get all the way to connecting, when you have gone as far as you can after the bootup, please run the command, pmodemdiag, and post the file it creates, so I can diagnose the issue.

You can also use this technique with wary 5.1.1, except that the file to edit is: /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/1c9e:f000. The bootup process will be a little different, and you may not need to deal with ttySHSF0.

Regarding "voice line detected" with wary, you should be using a phone/access number like *99# and not an ordinary phone number.
Richard

veejay

#3 Post by veejay »

Hai rerwin,

Thanks lot. Here details:

1. I installed the following packages: agrsm-all-20100106-patched1-k2.6.30.5.pet
mwave_modem_fix_to_p4x-1.pet
putilities_install-20110221.pet
upgrade_pack_4.3.1.1-20110317.pet

2. Modified /usr/share/Usbswithmod/1c9e:f000 as you mentioned.

3. Erased in pubdial, restarted, then modem detected in ttySL0 (but I believe this my internal modem in Acer laptop travelmate 2430)

4. tried connecting, but getting disconnected. pmodemdiag attached.

thanks & regards
Veejay
Attachments
pmodemdiag250311.tar.gz
(25.62 KiB) Downloaded 870 times

rerwin

#4 Post by rerwin »

Veejay,
Thanks for trying my suggestion. Sorry to take so long to respond -- really busy.

It appears that the mode switcher is running very quickly before the modem storage device can get started enough to respond to the mode switcher. In the past, there has been a delay before trying the switch. I have restored a delay of 10 seconds before the attempt. Please install the attached patch package onto your test setup. It edits the responsible script.

When you send me a pmodemdiag file, please send the pmodemdiag...tar.gz file generated into your home/root directory, instead of archiving the pmodemdiag... directory in /tmp. That directory is only for your viewing, in case you are curious. The file in there, usb_modeswitch_logs, tells what happened during the mode-switching attempts. It tries twice. Each try will wait before switching.
Richard
Attachments
modem_patch_4311-1.pet
Adds 10-second delay before mode switching hybrid wireless modem devices.
(434 Bytes) Downloaded 825 times

veejay

#5 Post by veejay »

Hai rerwin,

After installing mdodem pack, it just once detected the modem in TTYUSB4. but did not get connected.

Then, when the system was rebooted again it detects only internal modem in ttysL0.

Herewith I have attached the pmodemdiag, as you mentioned.

As of now I have working in window, due to this problem. I wish this process to get success.

thanks & regards
Veejay

rerwin

#6 Post by rerwin »

Veejay,
Thanks, again, for the diag file. I think I have a fix for the latest problem. I'm glad to hear that the delay of mode switching was successful. Upon rebooting, the modem is already switched, so just needs to get a driver to run it. My code in that function was incorrect, and should be fixed in the attached package.

Please install it either to replace the previous one or simply install on top of it. Just be sure to uninstall both if you uninstall either. But no need to uninstall.

We are making progress.
Richard
Attachments
modem_patch_4311-2.pet
pusbmodeswitch corrections
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 838 times

veejay

#7 Post by veejay »

Hai rerwin,

Result:

I installed the new modempack_431_2 over the previous one (modempack_431_1). Then erased the setup. restarted laptop. No modem detected. Probed. TTYSL0 detected.

Then uninstalled both pack, again installed the new modempack_431_2. Same process followed. Same TTYSL0 detected. No + result. Herewith I have attached the PModemdiag.

Notes:

1. I am afraid, these experiments should not erase any firmware inside micromax window modem. Because with this only I am browsing through windows xp. As in this case, you are the one, expert, please take care.

2. If you feel this process is worthless, suggest me someother plug&play puppy modems (or with simple configuration changes) for puppy 511 (list of modems, because here in india market, we get very limited models).

thanks & regards
Veejay

rerwin

Another fix patch -- added to original "-3"

#8 Post by rerwin »

Veejay,
Thanks for your report and file. I see no difference in the mode switching misbehaviour. I am attaching an improved fix but with some debug logging added (added before I found the problem). Please install it on top of your setup. Re-download it if you were one of the 2 people who have already downloaded it.

Be sure to CHOOSE > ERASE, to erase the ttySL0 selection before rebooting.
these experiments should not erase any firmware inside micromax window modem.
Be assured that Puppy does not change the firmware in the modem. It only tells it to switch from being a storage device to become a modem. I assume it returns to storage mode whenever unplugged and replugged in. The problem, now, is not with the mode switching, but with seeing the modem when it is already switched before bootup.
If you feel this process is worthless
To the contrary, I consider what we are doing to be very valuable! This version of the modeswitcher has been around for a while and no one has reported the problem you are seeing. You give me the opportunity to fix this issue for everyone who might encounter it. Thank you very much for your patience in working with me to to get it right. Since I do not have a wireless modem to test with, I need feedback from those of you who do have them, to fix the errors. The mode switcher is evolving to keep up with new modems. I have to keep puppy updated to accommodate the changes from the modeswitcher developer. But I need information from users experiencing problems with it, to identify things to fix. Your help is extremely valuable. I hope it can continue.
Richard
Attachments
modem_patch_4311-3.pet
modem debug logging and probable fix!
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 848 times

veejay

#9 Post by veejay »

Hai Rerwin,

Congrats! Modem got detected. Also It got connected & browsed.

But, I feel few discomforts.

1. Connection cann't be assured. I mean sometime connects, and manytimes pupdial says disconnected.
2. Speed. When connected, speed is very low. (I use this USB modem for GPRS browsing with airtel SIM, india. I know GPRS speed is very low. But this discomfort is raised comparing with windows browsing).
3. Personally, I don't know how to identify that connection established in pupdial. It stands in PPPD = 11387 or (some random number). Afterthat no message, if connected. Otherwise, afterlongtime it says disconnected.

Note:
I use seamonkey (default version) images disabled. But in windows I use firefox (3+) with image disabled. Is this matters?

Thanks lot for your great efforts. I request you please clearup these mentioned discomforts. Herewith Pmodemdiag is attached.

thanks & regards
Veejay

veejay

#10 Post by veejay »

Hai Rerwin,

I think, we can ignore my last message.

Clarifications for those Discomforts:

1. After inserting the modem in PC we have to wait for approximately 2 minutes, sothat it will get ready, before if we try to connect, it won't connect.
Second thing, once we clicked the "connect" button in pupdial, we should wait for minimum 1 min or approximately 1 min and 30 seconds. In between, if we try browsing again and again it won't get connected. So after clicking "connect" botton in pupdial, wait for 2 minutes, then start browser - it starts browsing.

2. Speed is fine. I replaced seamonkey with firefox, with images & java disabled. So speed is not a concern.

3. Then why the previous last message was created? That I explain here. In windows, we have user display. I mean, when modem gets started, it shows in popup display. When the connection gets connected, it shows in display. So that we can start browser, after this process perfectly. Here in pupdial, we don't have option to view this process. Approximately we need to wait for few minutes (1 or 2 minutes).

So before closing this thread, I ask you onemore doubt?

Can we use this same modempack for puppy 511?

thanks & regards
Veejay

rerwin

#11 Post by rerwin »

Veejay,
Thanks for your follow-up report. Glad to hear all is well.
Can we use this same modempack for puppy 511?
Probably not. It depends on which "modempack" and "puppy511" you mean.

There are (1) Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 and (2) Wary 5.1.1. And there are the "upgrade pack 4311" and the "modem-modprobe_fix_pack_to_43x". One of those combinations might work, but I have not yet verified that.

Both packages are NOT compatible with Wary 5.1.1. The modem-modprobe pack appears to work with the newest Lucid pups, now at 5.2.5. Lucid 5.1.1 is for older PCs. I plan to test the pack on it -- let me know if that is what you need. I have an updated version of the pack almost ready to upload.
Richard

veejay

#12 Post by veejay »

Thanks Rerwin,

I use Lucid puppy 5.1.1 in another PC (frugal installed).

Anyhow, this (puppy 431 modem patch) is morethan enough, as of now. It is working fine. So I think we can close this thread.

Already I have initiated a seperate thread for puppy 5.1.1. (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65917).

Please post there, if you have made any patch ready.

thanks & regards
Veejay