Remmina remote desktop with freerdp RDP support

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
heiko

Remmina remote desktop with freerdp RDP support

#1 Post by heiko »

I'm running Puppy 5.2 and installed remmina-0.9.2, remmina-plugins-0.9.1 and freerdp-0.8.2 from pet packages I found on distro.ibiblio.org.

When I run remmina I can see all the protocols available through the plugins except RDP. I read that freerdp is required , and I installed it, but remmina doesn't give me any rdp option.

There may be some libraries missing for freerdp to run, but I can't figure out which, if any, are missing.

I previously had installed the remmina 0.7.4 version that's in the regular Puppy repositories, but it didn't work well with resizing the remote desktop.

I run the latest remmina on the remote host (Ubuntu/Linux Mint) where it works fine and resizes the desktop if necessary.

Background: I like to use a Puppy laptop to remote desktop to a Linux Mint (Ubuntu) machine running a Windows XP VM inside VirtualBox. VirtualBox only allows RDP (or VRDP) to connect to the virtual machine, there is no VNC, NX etc. support.

Your help is appreciated.

aragon

#2 Post by aragon »

maybe i'm wrong, but i think there is a logical fault...

what i think you need is a solution to connect to your linux-machine from where you connect to windows.

so something like x11vnc might do the trick.

aragon

heiko

#3 Post by heiko »

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out!

I used the "check dependencies" utility to and found some missing libraries for remmina-plugins:

File /usr/lib/remmina/plugins/remmina-plugin-telepathy.so has these missing library files:
libtelepathy-glib.so.0
File /usr/lib/remmina/plugins/remmina-plugin-rdp.so has these missing library files:
libiconv.so.2 libiconv.so.2 libssl.so.1.0.0 libcrypto.so.1.0.0 libiconv.so.2

I installed libiconv-1.13.1-2 from the Puppy repositories.

I couldn't find the other libraries, but I found elsewhere a nice trick to make it work:

# cd /usr/lib
# ln -s libssl.so.0.9.8 libssl.so.1.0.0
# ln -s libcrypto.so.0.9.8 libcrypto.so.1.0.0

I also installed libtelepathy-glib, but don't really need it (since I only use RDP).

Now I can use my Puppy laptop to open a remote desktop to my Windows XP running inside VirtualBox on the Linux Mint (Ubuntu) host.

By the way, Remmina is by far the best remote desktop client I've found so far. I've used or tried rdesktop (for RDP to Windows), VNC, tightVNC and now Remmina.

I only wish that VirtualBox would support the NX protocol. Well, maybe one day.

heiko

#4 Post by heiko »

Ooops, I forgot something:

After finishing the above I had to uninstall the remmina-plugins package and reinstall it again.

spyder.snyper

#5 Post by spyder.snyper »

Hey heiko!

I checked all over the distro.ibiblio.org site for the remmina pet packages you mentioned in your first post, but I can't find them...

You think you could post a link to them? I'm trying to install remmina myself and having very little luck.

Thanks!

trapster

#6 Post by trapster »

trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog