The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

Re: Bits and pieces of closed windows left behind ?

#1221 Post by bigpup »

Tui wrote:I have just upgraded to this version from v5.2.0
and also changed to a large Samsung LCD widescreen monitor.

I am not sure where this problem lies.

I have bits and pieces of previous opened windows staying behind, well
it looks like that, also I notice small length white lines flickering
up and down the left hand side of screen.

I will try to get a screenshot of that. Also I note that there something
going on with monthly cal letters missing and early part of month dates
not in sequence.

Can any one help me with one please.
Tui
Could be caused by:
Bad download of Lucid 5.25.
Wrong resolution setting for the bigger monitor.
May need different video driver to drive bigger monitor.
If upgraded over a previous version. Results sometimes can not go well.
Old files from previous version corrupted new files.
Install location not wiped clean before install.

scsijon

oops late problem? maybe

#1222 Post by scsijon »

Decided to use the "latest and greatest" 525 for a new laptop machine.

Found I could not install grub to anything, said it did, nothing there and didn't boot grub!

Could a tester or two also try this out if possible please before I try to return the box.

------------
Also, can someone tell me where I stop connections being started on the network being started, I am finding a google connection on port 80 happening before a browser is even started.

thanks
scsijon

Sage

#1223 Post by Sage »

Found I could not install grub to anything, said it did, nothing there and didn't boot grub!
Could be one of the oldest problems with converting HDs to Linux? Remove HD from laptop, use converter to fit into a desktop. Use a debug script to clean out the MBR, then reinstall. Refit into laptop. Usually works. [Didn't forget to start liveCD with pfix=ram?].
Alternatively, is it an HP/Compaq with those weird proprietary boot instructions split between the HD MBR and a hidden partition at the end of the HD.
My very best advice stands - never buy laptops, never buy proprietary kit.
If it must be portable, buy an Android smart phone, otherwise get a kit from NewEgg(USA), CCL(UK), ??(Oz).

Greatnessguru

Psync ignores "Use UTC Hardware Clock" setting

#1224 Post by Greatnessguru »

Psync ignores "Use UTC Hardware Clock" setting

So when I have the timezone set to other than UTC,
and "Use UTC Hardware Clock" is set,
Psync syncs the hardware clock to the timezone time
and ___not___ the UTC time.

Therefore, after a reboot, the system thinks the hardware clock is set to UTC
when in fact Psync had wrongly set it to the timezone time.
So the system computes the timezone time as an offset from the timezone time
set by Psync, and not as an offset from UTC time.

This can't be hard to fix, but how did it get so busted in the first place?

Thank you,
Eddie Maddox

Germador

San Disks

#1225 Post by Germador »

I didn't have to make a swap space on the Micro disk since I had made the swap space on the larger San Disk. The San Disks are the USB flash drives. The larger San Disk is labeled as PuppySave now. Neither one of them are shown in BIOS. The BIOS reports as the first boot drive the 1TB Seagate SATA drive where I have Ubuntu 10.10 at. Ubuntu 10.10 has sda1 and sda5. Lucid 5.25 is using sda5 when it boots up now. It booted successfully this time without the CD. I loaded the 5.11 Full Nvidia driver for my GT 9500 video card but it really wasn't necessary I found out. This time I didn't mess up my hard drives. I have the full install to the USB flash drives which is cool because I have hard drives without this much space before. I really like this version as it was what I wanted with the TeenPup or what is now known as the Legacy OS. In my opinion this is an updated version of the Legacy OS. I don't mean that in a bad way. I really was impressed with Legacy OS but this gives me quickpets and I really like it. :D

willem1940NLD

#1226 Post by willem1940NLD »

Twice downloaded and made CD 525, 2nd time into Ext3 partition as Pburn objected to FAT32.

Burner speed reduced, just 16.

My install is: saved session + whatever to HD in restart, using CD for booting only.

520 all the time did well, 525: no sound, button dead in setup, red box white cross at speaker symbol down in screen.

Downgrading to 520: everything o.k again, including sound.

No difference in result between the 2 attempts, 2 CDs.

:?:

Edit: I downloaded from
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-525.iso
as indicated in topic start message ..... but the CD is only 128MB and most of the menu items have disappeared ..... wrong version? Where can I find the full version?

Terryphi

#1227 Post by Terryphi »

bigpup wrote:
Terryphi wrote:Firewall OFF is not saved on re-boot. Is this a bug or a feature? If it is a feature how do we get rid of it? ;)
How did you try to turn it off?
How are you running Puppy?
Right click on firewall icon in tray. Select Firewall ON/OFF> Firewall OFF.

Frugal install.

Call me old fashioned but I don't expect an OFF switch to switch itself back on when I reboot!

James C

#1228 Post by James C »

willem1940NLD wrote:Twice downloaded and made CD 525, 2nd time into Ext3 partition as Pburn objected to FAT32.

Burner speed reduced, just 16.

My install is: saved session + whatever to HD in restart, using CD for booting only.

520 all the time did well, 525: no sound, button dead in setup, red box white cross at speaker symbol down in screen.

Downgrading to 520: everything o.k again, including sound.

No difference in result between the 2 attempts, 2 CDs.

:?:

Edit: I downloaded from
as indicated in topic start message ..... but the CD is only 128MB and most of the menu items have disappeared ..... wrong version? Where can I find the full version?
The full version of 525 is 128 mb.Sounds like a bad download, do you check the md5 sum?

James C

#1229 Post by James C »

Terryphi wrote:
bigpup wrote:
Terryphi wrote:Firewall OFF is not saved on re-boot. Is this a bug or a feature? If it is a feature how do we get rid of it? ;)
How did you try to turn it off?
How are you running Puppy?
Right click on firewall icon in tray. Select Firewall ON/OFF> Firewall OFF.

Frugal install.

Call me old fashioned but I don't expect an OFF switch to switch itself back on when I reboot!
I'll confirm this, just tested on my frugal install of 525.I leave my firewall enabled but for testing purposes......... turned firewall off the same way and rebooted....firewall was back on.
Since default is "off" I'd think the "off" setting should be saved on reboot too.

willem1940NLD

#1230 Post by willem1940NLD »

James C wrote:.......................

The full version of 525 is 128 mb.Sounds like a bad download, do you check the md5 sum?
No, I am not a technician; md5 sum check I vaguely know, embedded in ISO I guess and automatic check in k3b before burning (SUSE).

I do not understand the how-to thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28799

But I can hardly imagine 2x download to be exactly the same way bad .... almost all standard apps missing in menu and no sound ..... unless my hardware fails.

stu90

#1231 Post by stu90 »

regarding remaster.

Hi Playdayz,
Had a report over in the Lucid lite thread regarding the lite version as well as the your official version about the personalize settings dialog running on start up (with no save file) even after /root and /etc directories being copied during the remaster - custom setting appear to be copied over as they are now the default in the personalized setting gui but is there any way to disable or stop the personalized setting gui from running?

thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1232 Post by Lobster »

Hey stu - regarding remaster - notice the remastering info
I wanted to see how easy remastering would be
It went well
and I created a nearly 300MB iso

Technical info
Puppy is VERY easy to customise
Set it up and use the Menu/Setup/Remaster Live CD option

What I did
changed wm to jwm and removed Openbox
changed backgrounds more background smaller size - add your own image files to usr/share/backgrounds
removed some games
use menu/setup/remove built in packages
to remove packages

added
python
firefox4
wbar
xaralx
fotoxx
transmission
xchat
vlc

configured wbar by editing /root/.wbar
i: = icon
c: = command
t: = text under icon

Remastering
Before you remaster, you need to

1. rename /usr/sbin/xorgwizard to /usr/sbin/xorg-setup
2. copy the attached xorgwizard into /usr/sbin. ( right-click -> Save As) http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/xorgwizard

What is happening is that on first boot, the attached xorgwizard runs and Lucid boots to the desktop, then it renames xorg-setup to xorgwizard so that users can run xorgwizard. Sneaky, huh?

You also need to change the permissions on /root/Startup/fullstart. You could do that during the remastering process when it gives you a chance to adjust files in /root. The way I do it is to right-click and choose Permissions. So if the name fullstart turns green that means the permissions are correct for it to run on first boot.

Full details
http://tmxxine.com/tmx525/

Youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0wUnOLdkJw
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 05 Apr 2011, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Germador

Omega Zip 250 Drive as a Swap Space

#1233 Post by Germador »

Ubuntu 10.10 calls my Lucid 5.25 an unknown file system but now I don't have to go into BIOS each time and choose each time which hard drive to boot up first. II put the Puppy on the 40 GB hard drive. The Omega disk gives it a bit more memory some how. I had trouble before because Ubuntu 10.10 uses grub2 and I did the grub4dos thing. Puppy is recognized with grub2 now as the unknown file system but it boots okay that way with no problems. So I am glad I didn't use the grub loader in Puppy.as it didn't mess up the SATA drive where Ubuntu is at. :D

live

#1234 Post by live »

Bug in Lucid 5.25 but not in Ubuntu 10.10

Under Iron 10 or Firefox 4 if I try to attach a file from sda4/privé/test.pdf Lucis says "Le fichier est introuvable. Vérifiez qu'il s'agit du fichier correct et réessayé" so it means : "The file is not found. Verify that this is the correct file and try again".

Same through LibreOffice, Thunar

Oddly only ok through ROX !

666philb

#1235 Post by 666philb »

willem1940NLD wrote:
James C wrote:.......................

No, I am not a technician; md5 sum check I vaguely know, embedded in ISO I guess and automatic check in k3b before burning (SUSE).

I do not understand the how-to thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28799

But I can hardly imagine 2x download to be exactly the same way bad .... almost all standard apps missing in menu and no sound ..... unless my hardware fails.
Hi willem1940NLD, are you sure you got the official lucid525 (available at the start of this thread), and not the barebones 525. As that would account for you having no apps in the menu
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

willem1940NLD

#1236 Post by willem1940NLD »

Only the link from the start of this thread and it is 128MB.

blopa6

Re: Bits and pieces of closed windows left behind ?

#1237 Post by blopa6 »

Tui wrote:I have just upgraded to this version from v5.2.0
and also changed to a large Samsung LCD widescreen monitor.

I am not sure where this problem lies.

I have bits and pieces of previous opened windows staying behind, well
it looks like that, also I notice small length white lines flickering
up and down the left hand side of screen.

I will try to get a screenshot of that. Also I note that there something
going on with monthly cal letters missing and early part of month dates
not in sequence.

Can any one help me with one please..
Tui
The same issue here , though this not happens to me when running the older version (no pupsave)

drivers nvidia kernel 2.6.33 download quickpet (nvidia 9400gt samsung, 23 )
Last edited by blopa6 on Tue 05 Apr 2011, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

666philb

#1238 Post by 666philb »

willem1940NLD wrote:Only the link from the start of this thread and it is 128MB.
the volume should be fixed by running alsa wizard from the menu /setup/ but the missing apps are a puzzle. Maybe try booting it with puppy pfix=ram see if you get the same results

666philb
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

tasmod

#1239 Post by tasmod »

Firewallstate.

In firewallstate the code routine for turning the firewall on/off was originally meant to be for testing purposes, I never meant it to 'kill' the firewall program.

The routine uses the firewall programs stop/start feature. (Note:Firewall program, not firewallstate)

The firewall program once installed writes a code line to etc/rc.d/rc.local that checks for the firewall programs file rc.firewall which is created when the firewall program is first run.
Now this will then start the firewall each time at each boot and is independent of the stop/start feature.

To prevent the firewall from restarting at boot I would need to rewrite the code snippet in firewallstate that turns the firewall on/off so that it would erase the rc.firewall file and the rc.local file line for the firewall. This means that to restart the firewall would require a complete re-run of the firewall wizard install routine, hence the entry for this in the firewallstate menu.

I suppose I could add another option in the stop/start small window that would 'kill' the firewall preventing further boot starts. If that's what you wish. :)
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

bigpup

#1240 Post by bigpup »

James C wrote:
willem1940NLD wrote: Edit: I downloaded from
I had a lot of trouble getting a good download from the Diddywadiddy.net web site.
Finally got a good download from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppy-5.2.5/

Could be your problem. Also, always burn to CD at a low burn speed. I always use 8X.