(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Jan 2021, 20:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How do I set up US deadkeys keyboard?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Luluc

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2011, 20:23    Post subject:  How do I set up US deadkeys keyboard?  

I use two keyboards all the time. The US layout on the notebook and the ABNT2 layout on the external keyboard. Most of the time, I use the external keyboard, because it's large and comfortable, and because I really prefer the ABNT2 layout. But sometimes I have to use the US layout on the notebook, i.e. without the external keyboard. In bed, on the sofa, or on the go.

The ABNT2 layout works fine. The US layout, however, does not work with deadkeys. I need those to make accented characters, such as á, à, é, ã, ô etc.

In a properly configured US deadkeys layout, I type ' then a to make á, or ^ then o to make ô. That doesn't work in Puppy. I type ' then a and get... 'a. If type ^ then o, I get ^o. Useless.

I searched the forum and found this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=922491172&t=30358

I didn't want to post there because it is marked as SOLVED. It is not solved to me. None that is suggested there works for me.

For example, the br-latin1-us layout does not work as US deadkeys as suggested, in fact it acts as ABNT2 or something very similar. The concept of deadkeys works, but the keys do not match the US layout. That is not any better than just leaving the ABNT2 layout on, which is feasible, but annoying. Despite the 15 years of practice I have with the ABNT2 layout, I mistype too often when I'm typing on the US keyboard. And the slash / key is left out of the layout, I have to type Fn+0, which is annoying. I am on Linux and I use the command line all the time, I need the slash key, and I need it where it usually is, very conveniently placed.

The keyboard layout assistant on Puppy has other US layouts such as (et) and (sg). I don't know what those are, but they don't work either.

One more thing: assuming there is a solution to my problem, how could I make those changes very quickly? I mean, is there a command I can run to switch layouts? I am used to that in KDE, but I am sick of KDE, I intend to migrate to Puppy and IceWM eventually. I need to find some way to switch layouts very quickly. I just need some command line I can run with Xbindkeys.

But, first, I need to know how to set up deadkeys on the US layout. There should be an US-International option in that keyboard layout assistant.

TIA
Dougal

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr 2011, 15:56    Post subject:  

A couple of things:
- have you got the right keyboard model? the default is always pc102, which is really the lowest common denominator and is missing things.
- what about just selecting "us" and then the "intl" or "alt-intl" variant?

As for switching, the keyboard configuration app lets you set up keybindings for it and also there's a little applet named fbxkb that sits in the systemtray for that.

But I think it's your mind
Luluc

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011, 03:02    Post subject:  

Well, let's see:

I was using this application/assistant:

Desktop
> Country Settings
> Countrywizard language timezone and keyboard

That one does not work.

I just searched a little more (man, these menus on Puppy Linux are WAY too messy!) and found this new one:

> Setup
> Mouse/keyboard Wizard

This one works fine, now the keyboard works with the US layout and deadkeys, just the way I wanted. My problem is partially solved.

Now, to the other part of the problem: how do I switch between the two layouts without going through all this clickety-clickery?

This assistant offers to ADD layouts, but I tried adding ABNT2 and then US INTL didn't work correctly anymore, I lost the deadkeys. To make them work again, I had to remove the Brazilian layout, apply changes, then launch the assistant again, configure as US INTL, apply changes again.

Then I will take this notebook to my desk with the external USB ABNT2 keyboard, go through a lot of clicking again to set up the ABNT2 layout. Until I need to leave the desk again, then it's an awful lot of clicking again... Grrrr... What commands can I issue on the command line to apply these layouts quickly?
Luluc

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011, 03:33    Post subject:  

Dougal wrote:
As for switching, the keyboard configuration app lets you set up keybindings for it

No, I dont't think it does. Where is it?

Dougal wrote:
As for switching, the keyboard configuration app lets you set up keybindings for it and also there's a little applet named fbxkb that sits in the systemtray for that.

Code:
#~> fbxkb
kbd group numbering is not continous
run 'xlsatoms | grep pc' to know what hapends
Exit 1

I have no idea what that means. I don't have a 'xlsatoms' command, and it is not available on the package repositories (not even Ubuntu). Google is not helping. I guess I will just to issue a "doesn't work" verdict.
Dougal

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011, 15:22    Post subject:  

Luluc wrote:
Dougal wrote:
As for switching, the keyboard configuration app lets you set up keybindings for it

No, I dont't think it does. Where is it?

The first button in the "Options" tab ("Group Shift/Lock Behaviour") (in xkbconfigmanager)

Quote:
Code:
#~> fbxkb
kbd group numbering is not continous
run 'xlsatoms | grep pc' to know what hapends
Exit 1

I have no idea what that means. I don't have a 'xlsatoms' command, and it is not available on the package repositories (not even Ubuntu). Google is not helping. I guess I will just to issue a "doesn't work" verdict.

Something changed in xorg7 and broke it... I patched it a few years ago using code from the XFCE xkb applet. (you might want to uninstall the version you have before installing this one... mine goes in /usr)
fbxkb-0.6-hacked.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  fbxkb-0.6-hacked.pet 
Filesize  37.33 KB 
Downloaded  396 Time(s) 
fbxkb-xorg7.diff.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  fbxkb-xorg7.diff.gz 
Filesize  2.11 KB 
Downloaded  276 Time(s) 

Dougal

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011, 15:40    Post subject:  

Luluc wrote:
This assistant offers to ADD layouts, but I tried adding ABNT2 and then US INTL didn't work correctly anymore, I lost the deadkeys. To make them work again, I had to remove the Brazilian layout, apply changes, then launch the assistant again, configure as US INTL, apply changes again.

This isn't clear to me. You seem to be mixing two things:
- layouts can be added or removed (select one you already have).
- abnt2 is a model, which is the actual shape of the hardware you have, rather than the letters painted on the keys...

In any case, you can run something like
Code:
setxkbmap -model abnt2
to change it on the fly.
Luluc

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011, 19:23    Post subject:  

Dougal wrote:
This isn't clear to me. You seem to be mixing two things:
- layouts can be added or removed (select one you already have).
- abnt2 is a model, which is the actual shape of the hardware you have, rather than the letters painted on the keys...

OK, I guess you're right. Maybe I want two models, not layouts, although I really can't see the difference. Either way, how do I switch between ABNT2 and US INTL? That is the question that still hasn't been answered. I can do that in KDE, I want to be able to do it elsewhere, e.g. in IceWM.

Dougal wrote:
Code:
setxkbmap -model abnt2
to change it on the fly.

It doesn't. I read man setxkbmap and could not find any useful information. I also tried 'setxkbmap -model br' with no result. The keyboard is unchanged.

Also tried:

Code:
#~> setxkbmap -keymap br
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  143 (XKEYBOARD)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  23 (XkbGetKbdByName)
  Serial number of failed request:  9
  Current serial number in output stream:  9
Exit 1

#~> setxkbmap -keymap abnt2
Exit 1

What a difficult task!!!
Dougal

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr 2011, 17:37    Post subject:  

Luluc wrote:
OK, I guess you're right. Maybe I want two models, not layouts, although I really can't see the difference.

The difference is simple:
A Chinese company (say GPT) makes some generic keyboard with 105 keys in the normal places. This is the pc105 model (geometry). Setting "model" to pc105 tells X which keycodes exist.
In every country where the keyboard is sold, they stick different letters on the keys. This is the layout. This tells X which symbol(s) match each keycode.

Quote:
Dougal wrote:
Code:
setxkbmap -model abnt2
to change it on the fly.

It doesn't. I read man setxkbmap and could not find any useful information. I also tried 'setxkbmap -model br' with no result. The keyboard is unchanged.

Also tried:

Code:
#~> setxkbmap -keymap br
Exit 1

#~> setxkbmap -keymap abnt2
Exit 1

What a difficult task!!!

2 things:
1) you have confused two things here:
abnt2=model
br=layout
you can look in /etc/X11/xkb and see all the files xorg uses.

As far as I understand it, you seem to want the following two setups:
- abnt2 keyboard, with br layout
- normal keybord (pc105 probably), with "us" layout and "intl" variant
Am I correct?

2) setting the model and the layout works for me. Are you using Xvesa? Xvesa doesn't work with the xkb stuff (I tried quite a bit a couple of years ago...).
(Note that the "Apply Now" button in the xkbconfigmanager uses setxkbmap, so if that works so using the command in a terminal.)

You can also use
setxkbmap -help: to see the options you can use with it.
setxkbmap -print: to see your current setup.

Luluc

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 07:56    Post subject:  

Trying to help someone else, I found the solution to my own problem. I am now using this script to switch between US Intl and Brazilian ABNT2:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

if    [[ `setxkbmap -print | grep -i abnt2` ]]; then
   setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -variant intl
   xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
else
   setxkbmap -model abnt2 -layout br -variant abnt2
   xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
fi

Related topic HERE.
Dougal

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 13:35    Post subject:  

Heh. After my last post I actually thought of suggesting the exact same thing, except for the xmodmap and the superfluous subshell+test ("if setxkbmap -print | grep -iq abnt2; then" should be enough).
Dougal

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:54    Post subject:  

Just one little thing: I've had this in my bookmarks for a while, but haven't looked at it yet...
Luluc

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2011, 06:10    Post subject:  

Dougal wrote:
Just one little thing: I've had this in my bookmarks for a while, but haven't looked at it yet...

Hum, xkeycaps. I just installed it on Ubuntu, it's in the repository.

Interesting app, but too old. My keyboard layout is there, or rather something approximate, but not quite, several keys are wrong. I couldn't figure out how to correct an existing layout without reading the documentation. I don't have the time for that. I know I can edit keys by clicking them with the right button, but I couldn't really use that feature.

The existing layout database is too old, 1999. I couldn't even find a model/layout that includes the two Win keys or the Context Menu key. Seems like a waste of time for being too outdated. The toolkit is also bad, scrolling the options is too awkward. Learning xmodmap and setxkbmap, though complicated they are, seems a lot more productive to me.
Dougal

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr 2011, 14:31    Post subject:  

Luluc wrote:
Interesting app, but too old.

Yeah, I finally got around to looking at it and the website says it isn't developed anymore since 2005... he points to the GNOME keyboard settings dialog as having the relevant options.

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: