Is it possible to repair my Ubuntu 10.10 with Puppy LuPu?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ChiJoan

Is it possible to repair my Ubuntu 10.10 with Puppy LuPu?

#1 Post by ChiJoan »

I was able to mount the sick hard drive using LuPu 511, now I'll try LuPu 525, too. I was able to see some of the icons in the /sbin directory had icons that looked like puzzle pieces with the green reload symbol on them. Others looked the same, but had the short-cut arrow, too.

Should I try a repair using LuPu and another Ubuntu 10.10 based Live CD in another CD/DVD drive? Or should I just copy off the 300 GB of info to an USB attached hard drive? Then do a fresh install of 10.10, since 11.04 is not ready yet?

Thanks for the insight,
Joan in Reno

ChiJoan

Great job Barry and everyone!!

#2 Post by ChiJoan »

I also let the Distrowatch Monday readers know it, too. I couldn't believe my prayers were finally answered and I didn't have to use the command line either. It saw the sick hard drive, offered to repair, let me know to wait until the SATA hard drive was ready. I mounted to see if any icons in the /sbin/init had changed to perhaps let me know, they didn't, but I unmounted, safely backed out, removed Puppy and rebooted.

Yippee!! It worked and I just finished updating Ubuntu 10.10. If you were in Reno, I'd treat you to a bite to eat and drink of you choice...

Joan in Reno