Three different ways to use .sfs files in Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
nooby

Three different ways to use .sfs files in Puppy?

#1 Post by nooby »

Here is one example
1.)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LucidPuppySFS

Seems to be built into Lupu 5.2 so should be easy to use.
I use it for SR ware Iron browser which is Chromium without reporting back to google what one visit?

2.)
Next example is this one
Shinobar's Load SFS on the fly
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
sfs_load-1.1 on-the-fly
3.)
then we have seaside which suggest SFS-Exec which have a special pupsavefile that one make into a regular sfs file that puppy don't mount as a savefile but treat as any other sfs file so that one does not get changed. One have the personal settings in that one.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64587

He gives a warning that one should always boot with pfix=ram when one use that one. It works good for him, he has adjusted to the constraints it put on him and see it as very practical to use.

edit my apology to Jrb for forgetting your SFS-TCZ Linker

4.)
SFS TCZ Linker
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47976

The reason could be that it do symlink things that can mess up if one install using PPM later and the link still is in the program???
But I know too little so now we have four approaches and I have no idea which one to start test first. Okay Lupu already have one built in so that is kind of easy to test.

---------

I posted this in Beginners Help because I think a beginner would love to get how one use these three "different" approaches to sfs files.

I fail to get what these three approaches do. Sure I should start using them and then I get how they work. The pro et cons for them.

But if every newcomer has to go through such intensive testing that is kind of not realistic. I think it is more realistic that those of you that have used one or two or all three or a fourth approach share with me and all the other Newbies why you chosed one over the other and what you like about it and what you wish was a bit different.

Yes I should test all three and write here but that could take a year or so. I am very slow at learnign new things. Especially when I fail to get the inner workings of them.

I've been using Puppy now for some 4 years and I still fail to get the Icon and menu and runtime and a lot of other things that others learn in a few days. So care about the other newbies, don't get angry on me for asking this.

I trust a lot of newbies would love to know how these three SFS approaches work. Seems very handy to have any of them working and knowing what they does.

Re the fourth approach.

I learned from kind users of Puppy that one can manually place the directories of a program on the mnt/home outside of pupsave and then make an absolute symlink to that directory and that way not make the pupsave bigger? And that way being able to reuse that program in another puppy one want to test.

But I did not take that one in here because I fail to describe it properly.
If others know how to that would be appreciated.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stu90

#2 Post by stu90 »

Hi Nooby.
For answer to one and two.

For the inbuilt puppy SFS loader it requires a reboot every time you wish to add / remove an SFS.

With Shinobar's Load SFS it enables you to add / remove and use an SFS on the fly with out a reboot.

Darkgame

#3 Post by Darkgame »

sorry to hijack, but how to run apps from sfs? Do u just select them from the menu? I cant find anything after mounting virtualbox sfs

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Thanks Stu.
With Shinobar's Load SFS it enables you to add / remove and use an SFS on the fly with out a reboot.
Yes but does any of them add to the pupsave or does both only load it from the hdd and use it and not include it in the pupsave?

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Darkgame wrote:sorry to hijack, but how to run apps from sfs? Do u just select them from the menu? I cant find anything after mounting virtualbox sfs
Thansk for asking! :)

I felt so embarrassed I am the only one feeling unsure.

It all depends on what your refer to using those words I quoted.

As Stu told us if you are using a puppy that has the SFS load manager installed. Then you go to SetUP or similar using the Icon or using menu and or you get into Quicksetup and there chose SFS and chose to install from repository or from your HDD.

Already now it is clear I have no idea what your words refer to. You mount it u say.

Is that what one do with these to ways that Stu describe. Does Shinobar approach mount it? I guess it loads it and not mount it.

Maybe we just use different words.

Anyway as Stu indicated if you used the first approach then you have to reboot to get the Vbox going. If you used Shinobar load on the fly then it should just load and start up if it is a puppy it is compatible with.

the third and fourth approach then?

Well the Third in my first post then one should do pfix=ram boot first and tehn create a spcial sfs file following his instruction at that link I gabe. That special sfs file then become a fixed pupsave file that is outside the pupsave script and not recognized as such but let one have the keyboard and language and time and graphic and such set up individually instead of having to set them each start up.

He use the PPM to delete the "install" of the sfs. That is kind of neat. No reboot needed either. No growing pupsave file so seems attractive that way.

Darkgame

#6 Post by Darkgame »

i dont get wad yr saying, sorry.
I wanted to run this app, virtualbox. Its in sfs format. I double click it, and it said mount. How do i run the app?

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

I have tested a bit now.

I tested Firefox.sfs and Opera.sfs and one more and they just worked.

Then I tested Chromium.sfs and that one did not work on my lupu525lite

I forgot to test your preferred one.

Here is how I did it,

Boot using pfix=ram on the kernel line. You stop the boot using space or something that your boot loader knows is a signal to not go on booting.

Then go into edit mode and add puppy pfix=ram and then hit enter and then b for boot.

Then use Rox to find the sfs and make a right ckick and chose SFS-Exec to start the prgram.

You need to have that pet installed first. Seaside desribe it but on a level I fail to get but that was as far as I managed to get it.

I placed his pet sfs-exec on the mnt/home so I could always use it to do new such installs and all the sfs files I did put in a directory I named sfsfiles
but one don't need to really have them there it should be possible to only have symlinks there.

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

What I miss most now is to understand this dir2sfs thing.

I even fail to find a single pet that has that name. I guess I have to ask him personally in PM?

Darkgame

#9 Post by Darkgame »

i need a pet to get sfs apps to work? I wont use it den

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

Darkgame wrote:i need a pet to get sfs apps to work? I wont use it den
Dpends. it seems that pet is a Bash script so in practice you don't need it you can go CLI Terminal Console and do it super easy super fast if you know how to do CLI . Very easy the Linux Guru would tell you.

U use a built in program that is name mksquashfs and tell it what to do manually in the RXVT something. It just works :)