The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1181 Post by playdayz »

Now... 525 would just be perfect if one of the knowledge boys (girls) could get us a really nice 'SCREENSAVER' for the PPM
I agree with that.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet
Here's Chromium 12, a daily build from today. Were people having trouble running Chromium? This one works for me in Lucid 5.2.5. Like Iron 10, Chromium 12 seems to have its own video codecs, ffmpeg this time instead of libavcodec, so both would be worth trying for video junkies. First impressions, I would say that Iron 10 seems faster.
What could be changed that made it go into panic when 257 never did go into panic. is it totally random then or what?
Like Charlie6, almost always when I get kernel panic it is because of a bad CD or a CD that my old CD drive can't read 100% of the time. And that could write a bad lupu-525.sfs to a frugal install.

den999

Issue Audio Driver Lucid 5.25

#1182 Post by den999 »

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new... so could be a trivial question !

I am running Lucid Puppy 5.25 through a USB pen drive.

I have a Samsung SF310 laptop which has "hda-intel Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition" as per the output of alsa sound config tool.

I follow the steps of the Alsa tool / reboot / but still have no sound.

Does anyone would see the problem ?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

marco07

#1183 Post by marco07 »

Hello Folks:
I have installed 5.25. So far so good. I have removed a few applications including Abiword, gnumeric and home banking, since I use libre office most times. The menu still shows the help files for these removed applications.
How can I remove the help files? They do not show up in "Remove Builtin Packages" list.
Thank you!

playdayz

#1184 Post by playdayz »

Abiword, gnumeric and home banking, since I use libre office most times. The menu still shows the help files for these removed applications.
The easiest thing marco07 is to go to the directory /usr/share/applications and delete the files abiword_help.desktop, etc. Then when you restart the X server the menus will automatically be fixed, or you can run the command 'fixmenus'.

Those menu entries are nothing but the browser going to the Help site.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1185 Post by playdayz »

What would I do if I had sound troubles? (Let’s collaborate on this and prepare some Help for anyone with some troubles. Thanks.)

0. As strange as it sounds, wait a minute and a half after you boot up. We have had two reliable reports that this sometimes helps.

1. Right-click volume icon in system tray and choose Full Window--then make sure everything plausible is checked and turned up (Front, Main, PCM, etc.). It's different on each sound card.

2. If #1 did not work, I would reboot with the pfix=ram option, so that nothing I had done previously would cause trouble. After booting, try #1 again. Do not use alsawizard yet.

3. If no sound, open Menu -> Multimedia Tools -> Alsamixer (alsamixer, not alsawizard). Press F6 and that will show you what sound devices have been detected and configured. If yours is not the top one then arrow down and click it, then make sure everything plausible is turned up. I have to do this with my “second

marco07

#1186 Post by marco07 »

playdayz wrote:
Abiword, gnumeric and home banking, since I use libre office most times. The menu still shows the help files for these removed applications.
The easiest thing marco07 is to go to the directory /usr/share/applications and delete the files abiword_help.desktop, etc. Then when you restart the X server the menus will automatically be fixed, or you can run the command 'fixmenus'.

Those menu entries are nothing but the browser going to the Help site.
All done.
Thanks playdayz!

gortonc

#1187 Post by gortonc »

Looks like great work guys! I would just like clarification on one point; Does the tool ( Menu > Setup > Remove built in packages) actually remove packages from the save file or only hide them from the user? If so it would seem to make Woof obsolete (for me at least)!

Thanks to all for all the hard work!

Chris

playdayz

#1188 Post by playdayz »

I think the bottom picture means you just turned Stay-Connect on and the top picture means that it is on and you could turn it off.
Attachments
staycon-2.png
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 1774 times
staycon-1.png
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 1880 times

playdayz

#1189 Post by playdayz »

Looks like great work guys! I would just like clarification on one point; Does the tool ( Menu > Setup > Remove built in packages) actually remove packages from the save file or only hide them from the user?
Someone will know better than me but previously it would hide packages *until* you remastered and they would then not be included in the remaster. Remastering is a great way to make puplets.

pemasu

#1190 Post by pemasu »

Remove builtin packages is best used before remastering
you can really remove apps so that they are not in remastered version.

gortonc

#1191 Post by gortonc »

OK - thanks. If I understand correctly; remove + remaster = gone!

puppyluvr

#1192 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Now... 525 would just be perfect if one of the knowledge boys (girls) could get us a really nice 'SCREENSAVER' for the PPM

I agree with that.
I have a hacked xscreensaver Pet, if anyone is interested...
I took my old 5.07 pet and add the compiled binaries from 5.12...
Still complains about running as root..(just click OK)
Previews dont work...( I`ll fix that later..)

The good news:
All the screensavers work..ALL 218 of them, the 18 GL included, even FontGlide...
EDIT..Compiled and tested on 5.11 On 5.25 FontGlide fails perl all the rest work...
I have compiled 5.10 and previews worked, but only a dozen of the screensavers did...I compiled 5.12, but dir2pet made an empty directory.. :evil:
Eventually I will try petting up 5.12 again, but for now the binaries will do...
So I just hacked them into 5.07... :D
It is big...25mb pet...60mb decompressed, because they are ALL there, and the man and locale directories as well...
I will U/L if anyone is interested....
I named it pupxscreensaver-1.1.....
Basically it is all the 5.12 binaries launched from the 5.07 GUI...
Still installs as XScreensaver 5.07, but the PPM sees it as pupxscreensaver...

Back to topic, 5.25 is working flawlessly...
Reboots between other pups dont affect anything, wi-fi still is on automatically, sound persists...
Guess I oughta mention Frugal install....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

jabu2

Lucid 525 testing

#1193 Post by jabu2 »

525 frugal installs
run with no problems on these 5-10 year old laptops
Compaq Armada E500 and Compaq Armada M700
Fuji Lifebook 2200/S6210

and on 3 desktops post 2007

using Chrome 7
LibreOffice
no added bling or swapping of wm etc

Wireless and ethernet connections, sound, pcmcia functions (several incl flash disk use) all worked rotb (right off the bat)
no loading or running glitches.

On an even older Compaq laptop from last century with only 128RAM had a few hangups and failures to hold settings between boots etc - Classic214 still better and more solid on that oldie (so not a problem).

525 now seems the standard PL of choice, for any hardware post 2000?

Very very good.
Your LSGC is in the Post (Long Service and Good Conduct medal)

[/code]

majorfoo

#1194 Post by majorfoo »

puppyluvr wrote:
I have a hacked xscreensaver Pet, if anyone is interested...
I took my old 5.07 pet and add the compiled binaries from 5.12...
Still complains about running as root..(just click OK)
Previews dont work...( I`ll fix that later..)

The good news:
All the screensavers work..ALL 218 of them, the 18 GL included, even FontGlide...
EDIT..Compiled and tested on 5.11 On 5.25 FontGlide fails perl all the rest work...
I have compiled 5.10 and previews worked, but only a dozen of the screensavers did...I compiled 5.12, but dir2pet made an empty directory.. :evil:
Eventually I will try petting up 5.12 again, but for now the binaries will do...
So I just hacked them into 5.07... :D
It is big...25mb pet...60mb decompressed, because they are ALL there, and the man and locale directories as well...
I will U/L if anyone is interested....
I named it pupxscreensaver-1.1.....
Basically it is all the 5.12 binaries launched from the 5.07 GUI...
Still installs as XScreensaver 5.07, but the PPM sees it as pupxscreensaver...

Back to topic, 5.25 is working flawlessly...
Reboots between other pups dont affect anything, wi-fi still is on automatically, sound persists...
Guess I oughta mention Frugal install....
where can i get copy of your hacked version

puppyluvr

#1195 Post by puppyluvr »

I will U/L it and post a link...As soon as Suz PM`s me and reminds me how to log onto my meownplanet account... :oops:
I think my brain needs a swap file.... :roll:
CRS....
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

xman

#1196 Post by xman »

Tried 525 from livecd. It's very pretty, but even more icy than 520. My laptop is Quirky machine.

rjbrewer

#1197 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:I think the bottom picture means you just turned Stay-Connect on and the top picture means that it is on and you could turn it off.
The ok button seems unnecessary and confusing.
Connection can easily be enabled or disabled with right click
on tray icon.

edit;

Also;

Re-enabling stay connect does not reconnect the connection, that
has to be done separately.
Having the disable option seems pointless.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

puppyluvr

#1198 Post by puppyluvr »

I dont even bother with the menu, the tray icon works much better for me...
And I have stayed connected thru many reboots....
Better than any other Puppy or Puplet, and on a very recent card/driver...
BTW..Good job guys... :D
This release has exceeded my expectations, and is in fact, my main desktop now...
I am "A bug huntin" but aint finding any...
It got Alsa, Fullscreen Flash, Fullscreen GMplayer, etc..OOTB
Xorgwizard and Xorg.high got persistant 1360x768x24 resolution, with 600+ FPS in Glxgears.
(Wary only scored higher, till I installed drivers, which ruined it..LOL)
And I have not even D/L the devx yet.... :D
Well, back to huntin...... 8)
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

8-bit

#1199 Post by 8-bit »

When I want to remove a built in package from Puppy, or for that matter, add one, for a frugal install, I backup the Puppy/lupu/lucid SFS file first.
Then I use editSFS to remove/add what I want using the /root/.packages/builtin/name of package as reference and delete those files.
Upon exiting editSFS, a new SFS is created and then it is just a matter of placing it in the appropriate directory for the frugal install and rebooting.

James C

#1200 Post by James C »

Just a quick update on my continual adventure to get Chrome or Iron working on this Athlon XP box with zero luck.. Finally success. :)
Think I'll pet it up and try it on my old P3 too. :lol:
Attachments
chrome on Athlon xp.png
(100.93 KiB) Downloaded 1454 times