Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nooby

#321 Post by nooby »

Maybe I should download the latest one of 15 then. What do you think of this.

I tried to use the You2pup downloader and it failed. Seems to be a different GUI that lack the place for the name so the no space thing fail to download it and tehre is nothing one can do about it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#322 Post by pemasu »

nooby. Newer you2pup accepts "/" in the name. The renaming need is fixed for "/". And there is now renaming function in the youtube.sh script if there is need for it.
The failure seems to come from the downloading url location. It is possible that the url location for youtube videos does not work atm.

For testing you2pup in other puppies, here is the download link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44960

nooby

#323 Post by nooby »

I test to install the one you links to None of them works on my computer. Don't know why. I try them on lupu52 to see what happens.

pemasu

#324 Post by pemasu »

Trios pet works as long as the download url location does not change.
After reading the youtube downloader thread, the one working solution to get videos downloaded somewhere else than /tmp is to use firefox youtube addon. There seems to be several of them. I dont know which one of them are handy and works with FF 4.0. But usual try and test......

Working one, which I found:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r-youtube/
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 29 Mar 2011, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#325 Post by nooby »

I guess I have to use them then. Failed using the you2pup pets in Lupu too.

pemasu

#326 Post by pemasu »

Yep. I am now more accounted about youtube downloaders. Next update will include removing of the Trios youtube downloader, if the download links does not work. I didnt mean to include nonworking bogus apps to the distro.

James C

#327 Post by James C »

For what its worth, I use the Firefox extension Video DownloadHelper.One click on the button and the video.
http://www.downloadhelper.net/

Had no problems with it.

James C

#328 Post by James C »

Two clicks actually..... :lol:
One click on the button, second click on which version to save.
Attachments
downloadhelper.png
(23.31 KiB) Downloaded 897 times

pemasu

#329 Post by pemasu »

I compiled the latest broadcom wl.ko module for bothersome broadcom wireless chips.

There is already wl.ko module in build compiled, but I dont remember which version. This pet also has piratesmack scripts to unload ssb module and after that loading of wl.ko module. I dont include this pet to the Snow Puppy because of these special reguirements.

Original piratesmack thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 596#421596

And this is not the ssb patched trick jrb and piratesmack has done. The usage is somewhat experimental.
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 29 Mar 2011, 21:18, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#330 Post by nooby »

James, that one did work for some files but not for others. All this is a mystery to me. And so many downloaders to chose among. I wish there was some kind of sharing of experiences.
The surprising thing is that when I used Snow5 then it always worked using the totally manual way to save files.
So I am in Snow5 now and it works all time I do a manual thing but in 14 and 15 it fails. Very surprising. Good that I did not delete Snow5 :)

my older text.

Maybe youtube have changed things due to Flashplayer vulnerability they talk about. Them not accepting the older versions anymore.

I have to try out snow 5 again and see if it can download what the newer fail. I get back and edit here if it does. :)

pemasu

#331 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. I dont have motivation to do detective job but...
I think that youtube flash videos were downloaded to the /tmp/Flash/... somewhere with older flashplayer.
Now the newer version of flashplayer downloads them temporarily to some other location. I think I read about the changed download location somewhere in forum.
I am sure someone more experienced know more about this.

If you use older snowpuppy with older flashplayer it will download flash videos to your known place in /tmp.

Or it might be the result of changed behavior of Firefox 4.0 also. I really dont know atm for sure.

pemasu

#332 Post by pemasu »

I compiled latest parcellite. Havent tested it though much. It has different icon in the tray. I didnt change it to the previous one. The size of the pet is massive.

Announcement link: http://parcellite.sourceforge.net/?p=139
Attachments
parcellite-1.0.2rc1.pet
(36.15 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
parcellite-1.0.2rc1_DOC.pet
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
parcellite-1.0.2rc1_NLS.pet
(17.76 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 31 Mar 2011, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#333 Post by pemasu »

I have made also latest (atm) ati proprietary driver pet of fglrx driver. It includes also kernel module for the driver. I cant test it because my ati graphics dont like fglrx driver. But maybe somebody will benefit of fit or atleast can test it.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Drivers/ ... -lupe5.pet

EDIT. Fglrx might need that existing radeon driver is not loaded.
See Mu`s post in Fluppy thread. I need to test if I can use it with radeon driver disabled.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 072#510072
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 04 Apr 2011, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#334 Post by pemasu »

Cbr comic book viewer Cbrpager. I compiled the latest source.
Small, works, might be slow with image movements. I made Rox right click for launching the app .
Attachments
cbrpager-0.9.22.pet
(28.59 KiB) Downloaded 1113 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#335 Post by pemasu »

Description:
gCAD3D is a 3D CAD-CAM application that features an integrated 3D OpenGL viewer, a program interpreter for geometry and NC-commands in 3D, an integrated NC-processor, and a programming interface for user programs. It has support for importing Step files and support for both importing and exporting Iges, DXF, and VRML files, and for exporting SVG.

Home: http://www.gcad3d.org

pemasu

#336 Post by pemasu »

Bugfix notice !
All recent puppies using shinobar`s firstrun wizard, like Snow Puppy has bug if you change hostname with the wizard.
/etc/hostname file has changed hostname but hostname in /etc/hosts is not changed. This results conflict in Rox routines and causes considerabe slowdown in using Rox-Filer.

Before fixed version .... and new Snow Puppy is released, use this pet to fix the problem. It contains fixed /usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs.

If you have changed hostname. Rerun personalize settings aka firstrun wizard and change the name again.
Well...I havent ever changed hostname during puppy time...
Attachments
changed_hostname_fix-0.0.1.pet
(15.51 KiB) Downloaded 413 times

nooby

#337 Post by nooby »

Don't get angry on my naive question.

How does one know if one ahve changed Host?
I am not even savvy to know what a Host is.

Using VMware and Vbox one have Host and Guest.
Is that a Host what else can be a Host?

pemasu

#338 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. Click open /etc/hostname. If there is name puppypc, then you havent changed it.

pemasu

#339 Post by pemasu »

I compiled latest Lives video editor. This is experimental. I havent edited videos and I dont know if this application really works. It needs sox and Imagemagick from the lucid ubuntu repos, using ppm.
It starts and selftests the needed applications. I got green light after installing those above. But can you really edit with it. I dont know.
It should uninstall cleanly but to be sure, you can use dedicated savefile. For tmp I suggest using /mnt/home location, so that it is outside savefile.
It asks tmp location during initial setup.

http://lives.sourceforge.net/
Attachments
lives_DOC-1.4.2.pet
(119.32 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
lives_DEV-1.4.2.pet
(4.96 KiB) Downloaded 403 times

pemasu

#340 Post by pemasu »

Sickgut posted succesfull result of using nvidia proprietary drivers in fluppy 012 using my kernel source. It is the same source as in latest Snow Puppies. So the same guide should work in Snow Puppies also.

Link howto to install nvidia driver and howto blacklist nouveau driver: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 110#510110