ROX Filer Too Slow [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
dahiyasumit

#21 Post by dahiyasumit »

We would never have hit this issue if the computer-rename dialog updated "/etc/hosts" correctly. That dialog updated "/etc/hostname" just fine but left out "/etc/hosts". I cannot think of a reason that justifies this behavior to be "intended".

Anyone who is trying to replicate this issue needs to please understand that this has something to do with your internet company (or perhaps your LAN infrastructure) in addition to renaming your Lupu 5.2 computer. MrToad and I seem to have similar internet company infrastructure that perhaps you may not have.

Heck, even I can't duplicate this problem if I use my other internet company!

Dougal

#22 Post by Dougal »

dahiyasumit wrote:We would never have hit this issue if the computer-rename dialog updated "/etc/hosts" correctly. That dialog updated "/etc/hostname" just fine but left out "/etc/hosts". I cannot think of a reason that justifies this behavior to be "intended".
It's just the result of sloppiness...
Anyone who is trying to replicate this issue needs to please understand that this has something to do with your internet company (or perhaps your LAN infrastructure) in addition to renaming your Lupu 5.2 computer. MrToad and I seem to have similar internet company infrastructure that perhaps you may not have.

Heck, even I can't duplicate this problem if I use my other internet company!
Do you use the other company at home, too? I thought you mentioned the problem is at home and at work it's ok.

Anyway, I presume you connect using DHCP, so the difference probably comes from how your ISP has you set up.

If you run

Code: Select all

grep dhcpcd /var/log/messages
you'll see the different things that dhcpcd does when you connect, like setting up routing (type "route" in a terminal to see your routing table) and writing /etc/resolve.conf, which lists DNS nameservers to use (it will usually use a "local" one, which goes to your ISP's server (which caches searches, to save them bandwidth).

So maybe something about how your other ISP does things, coupled with the messed up hosts file, drives Rox crazy...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

dahiyasumit

#23 Post by dahiyasumit »

Do you use the other company at home, too? I thought you mentioned the problem is at home and at work it's ok.
Correct. The problem occurs at home but not at work. When I was able identify the root cause at home by switching my ISP (my home gets internet from 2 ISPs), I conveniently chose to drop the work vs. home argument. Now the argument became home ISP A vs. home ISP B :)

Pardon my ignorance, but why two hosts files?

Dougal

#24 Post by Dougal »

dahiyasumit wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but why two hosts files?
You mean /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts?

I don't know for sure but it seems like hostname is just the name of your computer (when you boot, that file is read and the hostname utility is used to set it) while hosts lists IP addresses of various computers in your network, so a DNS lookup doesn't have to be performed (or, in case of the localhost, it tells the browser etc. that local files can be found at IP address 127.0.0.1).

My hosts file is over 16,000 lines long (as I updated it using this) and includes fixes for some things I had problems with.
For example, at some stage I kept having trouble accessing Rapidshare and Megaupload -- most likely the ISP trying to keeps people from using their bandwidth -- so I just added lines for them:

Code: Select all

195.122.131.2 rapidshare.com
209.222.148.141 www.megaupload.com
and it solved my problem.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

dahiyasumit

#25 Post by dahiyasumit »

Thanks.

puppyluvr

#26 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Dougal..
(as I updated it using this)
It seems full of pop up ad stuff??
How can this be beneficial????
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

dahiyasumit

#27 Post by dahiyasumit »

How can this be beneficial????
Look how everything points to 127.0.0.1. Instead of going to actual ad servers, all these junk requests are redirected back to your computer thus rendering them useless.

sc0ttman

#28 Post by sc0ttman »

So, maybe the firstrun dialog and Pup-Advert-Blocker need to be updated, to make sure the hosname matches in the 2 relevant files...
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Dougal

#29 Post by Dougal »

sc0ttman wrote:So, maybe the firstrun dialog and Pup-Advert-Blocker need to be updated, to make sure the hosname matches in the 2 relevant files...
There is a Pup-Advert-Blocker?
The hostname matching should simply be done when /etc/hostname is changed (when you choose to give your machine a name other than "puppypc").
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

playdayz

#30 Post by playdayz »

Thanks for doing this troubleshooting. It came in time to be included in the upcoming Lucid--and was important because we have a box in the firstrun dialog to change hostname.