The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1041 Post by playdayz »

If you want to use a USB Wifi device *and* you want to boot Puppy from a USB disk with ext3 or ext4 filesystem, then you should

1. Install Puppy to the USB drive
2. Boot the USB Drive
3. *DO NOT* Set up networking but immediately shut down and create a save file.
4. Then reboot Puppy and set up networking. This way it will be persistent.

majorfoo

#1042 Post by majorfoo »

majorfoo wrote:don't know if this is causing any problems but thought i would pass it along

in /usr/lib found following symlinks to libraries that are missing
libAMDXvBA.so symlink to libAMDXvBA.so.1.0
libAMDXvBA.so.1 symlink to libAMDXvBA.so.1.0
libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 is missing

libatiuki.so symlink to libatiuki.so.1.0
libatiuki.so.1 symlink to libatiuki.so.1.0
libatiuki.so.1.0 is missing

libfglrx_dm.so symlink to libfglrx_dm.so.1.0
libfglrx_dm.so symlink to libfglrx_dm.so.1.0
libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 is missing

libfglrx_gamma.so symlink to libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0
libfglrs_gamma.so.1 symlink to libfglrx_gamma-so.1.0
libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 is missing

libXvBAW.so symlink to libXvBAW.so.1.0
libXvBAW.so.1 symlink to libXvBAW.so.1.0
libXvBAW.so.1.0 is missing

this as information
solved missing libraries reported above -
i installed ati-fglxrx-10.10-luicd.pet yesterday and did not work on my equipment - received segmentation fault when tried to run glxgears - i have ati-radeon mobility M6LY card and the one i installed was apparently for newer equipment

i checked all the libraries reported missing above and found they were associated with the newer ati card

sorry for false report - should have checked further before reporting

playdayz

#1043 Post by playdayz »

Lucid Five Twenty-Two

A Double-Digit Update from Lucid 5.2
The Ultimate Expression of the Lucid Vision

First message of this thread

James C

#1044 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:Lucid Five Twenty-Two

A Double-Digit Update from Lucid 5.2
The Ultimate Expression of the Lucid Vision

First message of this thread
Already downloading...... :lol:

cowboy

usb wifi setup on lucid

#1045 Post by cowboy »

Playdayz - looking great, and downloading soon to check it out. (Though I am beginning to think you are in league with the CD manufacturers)

Question...
playdayz wrote:If you want to use a USB Wifi device *and* you want to boot Puppy from a USB disk with ext3 or ext4 filesystem, then you should

1. Install Puppy to the USB drive
2. Boot the USB Drive
3. *DO NOT* Set up networking but immediately shut down and create a save file.
4. Then reboot Puppy and set up networking. This way it will be persistent.
Does that apply only to the release candidate OR to Lucid in general (5.11+)? If broadly applicable, I might suggest that information be presented up front - now, if memory serves, a user is encouraged to setup their internet connection almost immediately. Most users (myself included) will probably do that before creating the first savefile. Thank your for your efforts on this release.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

James C

#1046 Post by James C »

Quick manual upgrade from 521 to 522 on my main Linux box. Other than the jumbled up icons, everything appears to have upgraded fine. Same JWM, wallpaper and Pwidgets on desktop as before upgrade.

Nvidia driver still working..... :)

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
8904 frames in 5.0 seconds
16128 frames in 5.0 seconds
14901 frames in 5.0 seconds
14219 frames in 5.0 seconds
Looking good........ :)

James C

#1047 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of 522 on the old P3 test box.Everything good on initial boot. Installed Xorg_High and Firefox 4.

# glxgears
1128 frames in 5.0 seconds
1480 frames in 5.0 seconds
1552 frames in 5.0 seconds
1473 frames in 5.0 seconds
1583 frames in 5.0 seconds
1521 frames in 5.0 seconds
1166 frames in 5.0 seconds

playdayz

#1048 Post by playdayz »

Does that apply only to the release candidate OR to Lucid in general (5.11+)? If broadly applicable, I might suggest that information be presented up front - now, if memory serves, a user is encouraged to setup their internet connection almost immediately.
That's what I thought too, so there is a message on the first run screen. I don't actually know how prevalent it is--I discovered it today, much to my delight :x

666philb

#1049 Post by 666philb »

Just upgraded form 521 to 522, and it all went smoothly .everything's working fine, drivers and settings retained. Apart from the pinboard, but i was prepared for that.

Looking good playdays
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

James C

#1050 Post by James C »

One final manual upgrade from 521 to 522 on the P4 test box.Other than the icons all good. Everything installed in 521 still working in 522.
No problems yet on 3 installs on 3 different boxes. :)

bigpup

#1051 Post by bigpup »

Fresh frugal install Lucid 522.
In browser installer.
Select Iron browser.
List of Iron browsers has programs other than Iron.
Attachments
Iron browser installer.jpg
(19.87 KiB) Downloaded 1119 times

01micko

#1052 Post by 01micko »

Hi bigpup

I can confirm and also fix....

BUT!

What annoys me is that we have hundreds of testers yet not one discovered this? It was introduced on 2101202.

Here's the comment I made in the quickpet script.
GRABPET=`grep -i "$THEPET" $CONFFILE | cut -d '|' -f8|grep -i "$THEPET"` #changed from grep -iw call #20101202 bigpup
Ok, you can blame me, it's my code. But I just discovered a bug (and fix) reported here to do with rox being slow. The bug is in shino's countrywizard script. Again, an easy fix but how come no body found it until the twelfth hour?

I know I put in enough time trying to fix this stuff and do my best as do I'm sure shino and every other coder out there. This is in no way a spray toward you bigpup as you have been instrumental in finding bugs, but I'm sure as hell is down that you aren't the only one to see this.

I'll post playdayz the fixes but I'm sure he's a bit tired of all the "last minute" bugs surfacing when we hardly had a bug report in the preceding month! :roll:

(Don't mind me, jus' lettin' off some steeam Image )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#1053 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: (Don't mind me, jus' lettin' off some steeam Image )
Chrome and Iron won't even run on my computers............ :lol:

James C

#1054 Post by James C »

Still better than seeing this.....
Attachments
default16.png
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 1123 times

01micko

#1055 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:Still better than seeing this.....
:lol:

I don't use iron or chromium much either.. only time recently was in spup testing.

(ps, bigpup, check tour PMs)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Terryphi

#1056 Post by Terryphi »

bigpup wrote:
Terryphi wrote:Suddenly I find that Skype and retrovol are broken. I think that the broken retrovol crashes Skype when it is opened.

Here is the result when retrovol is run from terminal:

# retrovol
retrovol: hcontrol.c:573: snd_hctl_load: Assertion `hctl->count == 0' failed.
Aborted

Using the Alsa Sound Wizard I can select the correct driver and configure it but at the sound test I see this error at terminal:

Amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

Consequently there is no sound volume.

LATER: Oh, and the retrovol tray icon has disappeared. I think we need something more retro than retrovol that works reliably!
If this is a frugal install of Puppy.
Run a file system check.
There is a chance the file system got corrupted.
Did you uninstall any audio programs before this happened?
Yes, it is a frugal install. No, I haven't uninstalled any audio programs. I have pfix=fsck in the menu.lst entry so there is a file system check at every boot.

The only thing I had done which may be relevant was try changing webcam usb port from front to back and similar for microphone connection. For various reasons I then changed back to front connections.

mavrothal

#1057 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: I know I put in enough time trying to fix this stuff and do my best as do I'm sure shino and every other coder out there. This is in no way a spray toward you bigpup as you have been instrumental in finding bugs, but I'm sure as hell is down that you aren't the only one to see this.
I do not really know if puppy 5.2.x is the end of the road but if not you may want to consider a bug tracker for the next release.
Combine it with a public git, cvs, bones, for sources and build scripts and you got a "professional" distro (in the sense that is really much easier to identify, track and correct problems).
Though I'm afraid this may not change "enthusiastic users" to "testers" :roll:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sage

#1058 Post by Sage »

Don't usually use .delta files to upgrade but thought I'd give it a spin this time around. The script doesn't seem to work for FULL installs. It asks for the old .iso. Doesn't exist in FULL - everything is decompressed!

So, I resorted to my usual method, liveCD, pfix=ram, etc.
Only the k/b setting remained at UK, all the other localisations returned to USA, except timezone = Peranjori. [Beats me why an Aussie distro defaults to USA!].
If we cannot have all Oz defaults, please can the initial settings panel display every time any changes are made?

re. the Chrome/Iron dispute, I gave up on both due to suspicion about Google data mining and Iron controversies + size.

That just leaves guy-on-a-bike to be added...

nooby

#1059 Post by nooby »

ooooh what is Iron controversies? Yes too big but in what way is Iron a controversy to us or anybody? Sorry if it derail.

One way to not get upset over bug found too close to a planned release would be to not set a fix date. Running update. It updates when one feel for it? Not a fix date. On the other hand one maybe need a date to get the enthusiasm kept on high enough motivation to get people engaged in the project?

I rather wish you put the release forwared some month or two to have time to include the shutdown choices that some of us want to be included.

To be able to just click on a sfs file to load and use it and then to click somewhere and it goes back outside of pupsave to be able to be reused again.

Such inclusiveness would be very good to have. Flexibility/Portable apps sort of.

I know too little. Only do it if you feel for it. Computing should be fun. I only suggest what could be fund to include :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Terryphi

#1060 Post by Terryphi »

I resolved the Skype retrovol issue reported earlier in the thread by updating to 522 using a savefile from 520. For me Skype requires the firewall to be off to make a connection. Also, retrovol settings need quite a bit of tweaking because some that are needed are not available by default - most importantly the Input Source setting for the microphone!. This can of course be selected by right clicking on the volume icon on the tray and selecting Configure Window. However, this is far from user friendly. For safety after setting up to my satisfaction I deselected the Skype setting "Allow Skype to amend my mixer settings" in case it messed anything up. Inevitably, there is a bit of a trade off between settings for Skype and other programs.

Good news on the Chromium browser front. On initial testing My SFS of Chromium 12.0.716 works fine on my hardware. I suspect there may be a bug in the password manager (or its interaction with the exceptions feature) so I advise selecting the "Never save passwords" setting.

Opera 11.10 beta, as usual, works perfectly.

There is one small niggle, admittedly an obsession of mine, that locale settings are overwritten on upgrade. Barry has fixed this in Wary and it would be good to see it fixed in Lupu.

All in all, Lupu 522 is looking good for my needs. Thanks to all concerned. :)