The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#1021 Post by bigpup »

RandSec wrote:Strangely, it also displays a comment that "nVidia is installed, but the driver is not working." Well, it certainly WAS installed, but then uninstalled from the PPM, which now reports that the driver is no longer installed. So somebody is not getting with the program.

To apply the patch, I clicked on "Download", the download window had "open with petget" selected, I clicked [OK], then I allowed the install. That was all that was requested, and so all I did, and all I usually do, unless forced to do something else by the install process itself.

Now, the Drivers test shows "For your Intel video card, Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) we think the best driver is Xorg_High." Then "Xorg upgrade is installed and appears to work. You can check by running 'glxgears' in a terminal emulator."

So I checked, and glxgears does NOT work. It did work, but now does not.
After uninstalling the Nvidia driver, did you reinstall Xorg-High driver?
I think uninstalling the Nvidia driver also uninstalled the open GL diver.
Also in changing video drivers,
You need to reboot after removing a driver so it gets completely flushed from memory.
Then install the new driver.

RandSec

#1022 Post by RandSec »

bigpup wrote:About not having network connection remembered on reboot.
When you boot up,
Are you sure that whatever you use to connect to the network has been operating long enough for the connection to be made?
Has the modem been turned on and had time to establish connection before booting Puppy?
I tried this idea out.
I started Puppy before powering up my DSL modem.
Started the modem in the middle of booting Puppy.
Puppy got fully loaded before the modem had time to establish connection.
What do you think happened?
Had big Red X over network icon.
Had to re-setup network connection in Puppy.
To me appeared that Puppy did not remember network settings or auto connect.
Actually, that is exactly the sort of thing I WANT! How can I force networking to NOT jump on line when Puppy starts?

RandSec

#1023 Post by RandSec »

bigpup wrote:
RandSec wrote:Strangely, it also displays a comment that "nVidia is installed, but the driver is not working." Well, it certainly WAS installed, but then uninstalled from the PPM, which now reports that the driver is no longer installed. So somebody is not getting with the program.

To apply the patch, I clicked on "Download", the download window had "open with petget" selected, I clicked [OK], then I allowed the install. That was all that was requested, and so all I did, and all I usually do, unless forced to do something else by the install process itself.

Now, the Drivers test shows "For your Intel video card, Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) we think the best driver is Xorg_High." Then "Xorg upgrade is installed and appears to work. You can check by running 'glxgears' in a terminal emulator."

So I checked, and glxgears does NOT work. It did work, but now does not.
After uninstalling the Nvidia driver, did you reinstall Xorg-High driver?
I think uninstalling the Nvidia driver also uninstalled the open GL diver.
Also in changing video drivers,
You need to reboot after removing a driver so it gets completely flushed from memory.
Then install the new driver.
"After uninstalling the Nvidia driver, did you reinstall Xorg-High driver?" Yes.

"You need to reboot after removing a driver so it gets completely flushed from memory.
Then install the new driver."

Well, first of all, I do what the install says, no more, no less. That is surely what an ordinary user will do, and recognizing that is the point of an RC.

Next, if that claim is true, it sounds like we have a fundamental PPM system issue. Either PPM does remove an install, or it does not. So if the PPM requires a system reboot to clean up, that sounds like it is not fully "removing" after all.

I run Puppy exclusively from LiveDVD. The system I am on now has no hard drive. And a reboot means first doing a risky multisession Save to the DVD. Obviously a new driver will have to be saved sometime, but it need not require a Save all its own.

Here you would not only have me Save a new driver (which is of course required), but also another risky Save BEFORE THAT, simply to uninstall the old driver. If that really is required, something is wrong and needs to be re-engineered.

Where did all this "reboot" stuff come from, anyway? It sounds more like Windows than ever-running Unix, and is the worst part of Windows maintenance. Why do we aspire to such heights?

nooby

#1024 Post by nooby »

Am I alone losing the Speaker Volume in 520 but got it back when booting into luci 257
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

cowboy

cut and paste with linux

#1025 Post by cowboy »

RandSec wrote: [ As an aside, why is it that I do not know how to highlight and copy text from system message windows? Why is that not intuitive? Is it even possible? Why should it be hard to easily grab any system message text of any sort? Yeah, I could learn to snapshot the screen image, but why are we forced into that? ]
This also puzzled me. However, you might find this of note:

"Puppy does not have quite the same seamless clipboard integration as in MS Windows. Basically, you can transfer plain-text only between different applications, but between two windows of the same application you may be able to transfer more than plain text."

The question and answer is at Mr. Kauler's site - scroll down to "Clipboard" at http://www.puppylinux.com/faq.htm for the full explanation.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

chrismt

#1026 Post by chrismt »

:?

I installed this on a hard disk, i removed it after install, and i replaced it with another hard disk because i wanted to format it.

When i fixed the original first hard disk back, my PC forgot the time, i fixed it, puppy told me it doesn't recognize the monitor and asked me to select manually

Is this normal?

Do I need to reinstall?

RandSec

Reviewing Drivers, Test Results

#1027 Post by RandSec »

playdayz wrote:RandSec, Do you still have luci-257? If so, could you boot that and run this same command 01micko posted? Thanks.
Can you post the output of "lspci -nn".. to make it easy for you to paste, run the command as follows and your result will be in a text file called "myfile" in the root directory; just open it with the text editor and paste the entire contents.
Code:
lspci -nn > /root/myfile

the "-nn" option displays the unique vendor and device ID's.
I doubt the result would be useful. Because of this request, I have returned to both 257 and then 256, essentially finding the problem in both. That would mean that my recollection of being guided by Quickpet, Drivers, and test... was wrong. I am at a loss to explain it, and apologize for misleading the search.

The driver recommendation for nvidia on my Core i3 system appears in all versions and also appears to be incorrect. After re-burning the luci-256.iso and booting that, I find Quickpet v4.3, Drivers, test... reports finding a GeForce 6800 LE and recommends the nvidia driver. I cannot understand how I would have missed that, or not followed that suggestion, but my installed 256 and 257 both show Xorg-High installed. Possibly I just installed what I previously had installed. Sadly, I did not keep action-by-action install notes until the RC.

So the problem is not recent as I believed. Somewhere, sometime, something changed and I cannot bracket the change to find it.

ETP

521rc Test

#1028 Post by ETP »

USB stick (FAT32) manual install – no issues found. Items tested listed in SWF.

http://megaswf.com/simple_serve/1046691/

May I suggest that the fontwizard.pet (1.3k) be included by default as it makes a fantastic difference for LCD users and is surely worthy of the pet of the year prize!

It may also be worth including the choice of the Chromium-10.0.630.0-Lucid.pet in Quickpet in addition to 6 & 7 as it seems totally stable.

RandSec

#1029 Post by RandSec »

01micko wrote:RandSec

There does seem to be a coincidence in the device ID's but the current filter fails to work. I have put in a different filter.. see how it goes. Curious that you got the correct recommendation with 256/257. That would suggest that it's a name change issue from luci to lupu. I'll look into that further.

Everyone can test the patch, whether you have updated graphics or not you should still get a recommendation.

Cheers
My claim that 256 and 257 recommended Xorg_High appears to have been false. Apparently the problem occurred before 256.

By going back and re-burning lupu-521.iso, I was able to check the patch in a clean environment. The patch installs first, to enable the suggestion for Xorg. At that time, glxgears is command not found. After clicking <Xorg> and installing, we get "package has been successfully installed". Now glxgears actually fails.

ALSO we get: "Notice: To activate the High Performance driver: Go to Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart x server". After doing the x-restart (which also requires a new <Probe> and screen format selection), glxgears WORKS! So it is the x-restart which activates the screen driver.

Then I did a shutdown to enable the CD-save option, which worked. After rebooting from the resulting DVD, glxgears still worked. So it appears that the graphics fix works on my Core i3.

playdayz

#1030 Post by playdayz »

So it is the x-restart which activates the screen driver.
Yes. Xorg_High is enabled by restarting X, as the message says. Thank you for staying with us and helping.
[ As an aside, why is it that I do not know how to highlight and copy text from system message windows? Why is that not intuitive? Is it even possible? Why should it be hard to easily grab any system message text of any sort? Yeah, I could learn to snapshot the screen image, but why are we forced into that? ]

This also puzzled me. However, you might find this of note:

"Puppy does not have quite the same seamless clipboard integration as in MS Windows. Basically, you can transfer plain-text only between different applications, but between two windows of the same application you may be able to transfer more than plain text."
You might want to try glipper or parcelite, to give a better integration between copying and pasting.

majorfoo

#1031 Post by majorfoo »

don't know if this is causing any problems but thought i would pass it along

in /usr/lib found following symlinks to libraries that are missing
libAMDXvBA.so symlink to libAMDXvBA.so.1.0
libAMDXvBA.so.1 symlink to libAMDXvBA.so.1.0
libAMDXvBA.so.1.0 is missing

libatiuki.so symlink to libatiuki.so.1.0
libatiuki.so.1 symlink to libatiuki.so.1.0
libatiuki.so.1.0 is missing

libfglrx_dm.so symlink to libfglrx_dm.so.1.0
libfglrx_dm.so symlink to libfglrx_dm.so.1.0
libfglrx_dm.so.1.0 is missing

libfglrx_gamma.so symlink to libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0
libfglrs_gamma.so.1 symlink to libfglrx_gamma-so.1.0
libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 is missing

libXvBAW.so symlink to libXvBAW.so.1.0
libXvBAW.so.1 symlink to libXvBAW.so.1.0
libXvBAW.so.1.0 is missing

this as information

Jades

#1032 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:
Yes. Xorg_High is enabled by restarting X, as the message says.
It may be an idea to double-check that drivers other than Xorg-High pop up the message about needing to restart X-Server to enable the driver.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

James C

#1033 Post by James C »

Jades wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Yes. Xorg_High is enabled by restarting X, as the message says.
It may be an idea to double-check that drivers other than Xorg-High pop up the message about needing to restart X-Server to enable the driver.
I'll confirm that the message does appear for the Nvidia 96.43.16 driver.

bigpup

#1034 Post by bigpup »

Video driver 101.
The video driver is a core component of the operating system.
It can not just be changed by installing a new driver.
The old driver has to be removed from memory and replaced by the new driver.
When this is happening, you are working with a very basic video driver, that is used so that the screen does not go blank.
It is the driver that is used when you first boot, before X server starts.
To make the video driver change, a program is used.
In Puppy that program is Xorgwizard.
Shutting down X server stops the use of the old driver.
Xorgwizard is run to select and use the new driver.
X server restarts and is now using the new driver.

Why would you want to reboot the computer to change a video driver?
When you use a driver that was produced by a manufacturer of a video card, they have their own additional programs, loaded in memory, to control the driver.
Just uninstalling the driver, restarting X server, and running Xorgwizard may or may not get everything, from the old driver, removed from memory.
Every manufacture of video cards tells you to reboot a computer, after you uninstall their drivers.
On reboot, select their new driver.
That is just the way it works.

Another problem you can run into is having two drivers, from the manufacturer, on the computer.
Lets say you have Nvidia driver V9.6 and Nvidia driver V10.1.
You have not uninstalled ether one.
You want to change drivers.
You run Xorgwizard and tell it to use the Nvidia driver.
It has two to choose from, so it just does nothing, because it has no way of knowing which one you want.
That is why you have to only have one manufacturers driver installed.
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 26 Sep 2011, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.

stu90

#1035 Post by stu90 »

Another small update for pfbpanel GUI - added a new option in the plugins section for file space monitor - Nothing fancy like warning levels etc just adds a % used to fbpanel.

Attachments
pfbpanel.gz
copy to /usr/sbin (back up old pfbpanel file first)
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

Terryphi

#1036 Post by Terryphi »

Suddenly I find that Skype and retrovol are broken. I think that the broken retrovol crashes Skype when it is opened.

Here is the result when retrovol is run from terminal:

# retrovol
retrovol: hcontrol.c:573: snd_hctl_load: Assertion `hctl->count == 0' failed.
Aborted

Using the Alsa Sound Wizard I can select the correct driver and configure it but at the sound test I see this error at terminal:

Amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

Consequently there is no sound volume.

LATER: Oh, and the retrovol tray icon has disappeared. I think we need something more retro than retrovol that works reliably!

tony

#1037 Post by tony »

Hi,

I was initially very pleased with this lucid pup and spent a lot of time setting it up.

But suddenly I lost all sound. I have tried endlessly cycling between the Alsa wizard and Alsa mixer and several times succeeding in getting the sound back. Unfortunately the sound disappears again at shutdown.

Perhaps it is all down to my IBM T42 thinkpad

I am now going to wipe this Lupu 527 off my drives and wait until this or another pup comes along that is stable.

Regards Tony

bigpup

#1038 Post by bigpup »

Terryphi wrote:Suddenly I find that Skype and retrovol are broken. I think that the broken retrovol crashes Skype when it is opened.

Here is the result when retrovol is run from terminal:

# retrovol
retrovol: hcontrol.c:573: snd_hctl_load: Assertion `hctl->count == 0' failed.
Aborted

Using the Alsa Sound Wizard I can select the correct driver and configure it but at the sound test I see this error at terminal:

Amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

Consequently there is no sound volume.

LATER: Oh, and the retrovol tray icon has disappeared. I think we need something more retro than retrovol that works reliably!
If this is a frugal install of Puppy.
Run a file system check.
There is a chance the file system got corrupted.
Did you uninstall any audio programs before this happened?

scsijon

#1039 Post by scsijon »

Sage wrote:
There is no message spellchecker as such yet, however it is on the todo list, but that is some time away still.
Best news yet. RoW will rejoice. Always was the best but Qualcomm was ostrich-like. Mr Webster was the real culprit, though.
Almost as perverse as punters who insist on using Puppy with multi-core processors and Intel graphics! Not as if the world's best chip designers aren't 'local' to the plaintiffs.
No, the problem is internationalization of the dictionaries that must be used and the different ways the operating systems identify.

Anyway were offtopic here, keep an eye on the Eudora thread in coming months (say 6).

scsijon

scsijon

#1040 Post by scsijon »

New maybe problem folks to check on, I think.

521rc. update a frugal install.

Our active interfaces (globe and screen) in the tray is playing up.

Well the data storage it displays is anyway, the month readings it's giving are badly out, showing last week's only rx and tx is six figures. Was very different before update.

Hopefully it's an update problem only, but this didn't happen with earlier updates.

While were here, is there anyway to have the reset to zero ocurr on a set day rather than the first of the month?

Otherwise the rc I find sound.

regards
scsijon