The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#1001 Post by Sage »

please explain the dictionary comment
Just my little jest, Eudora never had the OED; haven't had time to check whether the Mozilla influence has encouraged them to speak Queen's English over there yet.

pemasu

#1002 Post by pemasu »

Randsec. Do you have double video graphics ? Like some new laptops have.
I have i5 core laptop which has onboard intel graphics and also HD5650 ATI mobility radeon.
In windows I can change between them. But in puppies I just shut the ATI off, for couple of reasons. With later kernels, the selecting between them is possible, if I would like to use it.

However, if I dont shut it down, both graphics are recognized. In kernel 2.6.33.2 kernel there is not vga switcheroo kernel module which enables graphics changing. Well, you need some scripts also.
I have in BIOS option, switchable and discrete. If I choose switchable, Intel is choosed. Discrete selected, ATI is choosed. Intel graphics works with intel driver and ATI with radeon driver.

Double graphics might be reason of your confusing reports and findings.
I have compiled 2.6.35.7 kernel with vga switcheroo enabled, but I havent used that kernel much and havent had enough motivation to get it working.
For Ubuntu Lucid there are good guidelines howto get swithcing enabled, along with working kernel debs.

01micko

#1003 Post by 01micko »

pemasu wrote:Randsec. Do you have double video graphics ?
This could be a possibility.

RandSec,

Can you post the output of "lspci -nn".. to make it easy for you to paste, run the command as follows and your result will be in a text file called "myfile" in the root directory; just open it with the text editor and paste the entire contents.

Code: Select all

lspci -nn > /root/myfile
the "-nn" option displays the unique vendor and device ID's.

Thanks
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

RandSec

#1004 Post by RandSec »

scsijon wrote: The OpenSuSE forum has gone further: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get- ... phics.html and contains other url pointers that may help.
This is the most important one:http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics!
Let me point out that 521RC is not our first rodeo with Core i3. I have been using i3's for 7 or 8 months with earlier Puppies and no video problems. The Xorg High driver was suggested by Puppy, so that is what I used. Videos looked better than I had before, and took less than a quarter of the CPU. For my limited business and static graphics purposes, the video was great.

Over the past week an a half, I have been testing 256 and 257, which each recommended Xorg High, so that is what I loaded, with the same results as on earlier systems. It was only with the advent of 521RC that things became confusing, because the "Click here to test your graphics card" <button> suggested nvidia. It suggested, so I followed, which in a sense is the purpose of testing. However, that suggestion was unexpected and, I now believe, absolutely wrong, which reveals that something is wrong somewhere in the RC.

The problem is not that we do not have a good driver. The problem is that the current suggestion is unexpectedly different and probably very wrong.

RandSec

#1005 Post by RandSec »

No. I have a very simple system with on-chip graphics only. This exact same hardware has been working well with previous Puppies and in particular 256 and 257 using Xorg High. The confusion is that the RC suggested nvidia, which I now believe to be wrong. But I would have been wrong to ignore that, since that is what testing is for.

RandSec

#1006 Post by RandSec »

01micko wrote:
This could be a possibility.

RandSec,

Can you post the output of "lspci -nn".. to make it easy for you to paste, run the command as follows and your result will be in a text file called "myfile" in the root directory; just open it with the text editor and paste the entire contents.

Code: Select all

lspci -nn > /root/myfile

Thanks
OK, here it is:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller [8086:0040] (rev 12)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0042] (rev 12)
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller [8086:3b64] (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller [8086:3b3c] (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio [8086:3b56] (rev 06)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:3b42] (rev 06)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 [8086:3b4a] (rev 06)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 6 [8086:3b4c] (rev 06)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller [8086:3b34] (rev 06)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev a6)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller [8086:3b06] (rev 06)
00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA IDE Controller [8086:3b20] (rev 06)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller [8086:3b30] (rev 06)
00:1f.5 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 2 port SATA IDE Controller [8086:3b26] (rev 06)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem [8086:3b32] (rev 06)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)
03:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB368 IDE controller [197b:2368]
04:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Agere Systems FW322/323 [11c1:5811] (rev 70)

01micko

#1007 Post by 01micko »

RandSec wrote: The problem is not that we do not have a good driver. The problem is that the current suggestion is unexpectedly different and probably very wrong.
Hence my request for the output of the above command :wink:

scsijon

#1008 Post by scsijon »

Sage wrote:
please explain the dictionary comment
Just my little jest, Eudora never had the OED; haven't had time to check whether the Mozilla influence has encouraged them to speak Queen's English over there yet.
Having had enough trouble getting the eudora team enough usefull feedback data, so it would work without producing any errors when we started creating EudoraOSE (Puppy 4.3.1. days would you believe), I am still a "little" sensetive over this package, your forgiven :twisted: for now.

As far as your problem, when you are online, the Dictionary & Theosaurus should work to your local spelling if you are setup for your country and language group (codes) properly in puppy.

There is no message spellchecker as such yet, however it is on the todo list, but that is some time away still.

scsijon

01micko

#1009 Post by 01micko »

RandSec

There does seem to be a coincidence in the device ID's but the current filter fails to work. I have put in a different filter.. see how it goes. Curious that you got the correct recommendation with 256/257. That would suggest that it's a name change issue from luci to lupu. I'll look into that further.

Everyone can test the patch, whether you have updated graphics or not you should still get a recommendation.

Cheers
Attachments
graphics_patch-1.pet
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

Sage

#1010 Post by Sage »

There is no message spellchecker as such yet, however it is on the todo list, but that is some time away still.
Best news yet. RoW will rejoice. Always was the best but Qualcomm was ostrich-like. Mr Webster was the real culprit, though.
Almost as perverse as punters who insist on using Puppy with multi-core processors and Intel graphics! Not as if the world's best chip designers aren't 'local' to the plaintiffs.

stu90

#1011 Post by stu90 »

Might be a bit late now but i added the option to select rounded corners in pfbpanel setup GUI for the fbpanel.

Attachments
pfbpanel.gz
move to /usr/sbin
(5.03 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

cowboy

Re: Sound and video

#1012 Post by cowboy »

gcmartin wrote:I haven't gone thru this Lupu thread, but does this blog discussion impact Lupu?

Not that I'm aware of (I was part of the thread in question). While the issue has been experienced in Wary 5.1.1 (and recent spups), Mr. Kauler says he has a fix in, and it has not been an issue with Lupu or Luci.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

playdayz

#1013 Post by playdayz »

RandSec,
The problem is not that we do not have a good driver. The problem is that the current suggestion is unexpectedly different and probably very wrong.
Yes. Understood. Can you install 01mico's graphics-patch and then see what recommendation you get? Thanks.

01micko, Thanks for checking. Here's what changed from luci-257 to lupu-521.

-> the name, luci to lupu
-> rerwin's /etc/udev/rules.d/00.i915_modeset0.rules to version 2
-> back to original udev because the 151 updates seemed to be associated with network dropouts (so 521 has the same udev as 520)

-> udev_lib *was* updated from the version in the Ubuntu Lucid repo which we have been using all along, to the version in the Lucid-Updates repo (same 151 version number). This was done for 257 though.

Jades

#1014 Post by Jades »

LiveCD on Merlin (Pentium D). I made a copy of the lupusave from 520 under a different name and booted off the CD. Chose to upgrade the copied lupusave and told it to copy the SFS file to hard drive. Booted cleanly to the desktop and sound and networking were still working. Even my IceWM setup came across smoothly!

Moved the SFS to the same directory as the lupusave (/mnt/home/PuppyFiles) and rebooted. Everything still working. Uninstalled Pwidgets, obsolete patch for 520 and a couple of pets which have newer versions in the 521 RC SFS then rebooted.

I haven't encountered any problems so far, used it for several hours last night and it seems to be working very well. I'll do some more testing tomorrow.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

playdayz

#1015 Post by playdayz »

RandSec, Do you still have luci-257? If so, could you boot that and run this same command 01micko posted? Thanks.
Code:
lspci -nn > /root/myfile

666philb

#1016 Post by 666philb »

there have been a few posts about this on the forum , about the xfce compiz pet. in the ppm. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66318

I've installed it 4 times, and only once did it work properly. The other times i had the same issue as in the link. No windows borders, so you can't move windows around, can't minimize etc. Just tried it again on lup521rc and same problem.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#1017 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:RandSec

There does seem to be a coincidence in the device ID's but the current filter fails to work. I have put in a different filter.. see how it goes. Curious that you got the correct recommendation with 256/257. That would suggest that it's a name change issue from luci to lupu. I'll look into that further.

Everyone can test the patch, whether you have updated graphics or not you should still get a recommendation.

Cheers
Check patch.
Installed patch.
Recommendation the same as before for me.
It is the proper driver recommendation for my video card.

bigpup

#1018 Post by bigpup »

About not having network connection remembered on reboot.
When you boot up,
Are you sure that whatever you use to connect to the network has been operating long enough for the connection to be made?
Has the modem been turned on and had time to establish connection before booting Puppy?
I tried this idea out.
I started Puppy before powering up my DSL modem.
Started the modem in the middle of booting Puppy.
Puppy got fully loaded before the modem had time to establish connection.
What do you think happened?
Had big Red X over network icon.
Had to re-setup network connection in Puppy.
To me appeared that Puppy did not remember network settings or auto connect.

RandSec

#1019 Post by RandSec »

01micko wrote:RandSec

Cheers
At this point, using my 521RC Puppy which had the nvidia driver installed, then removed, then the Xorg_High installed: checking QuickPet v4.3, Drivers, "Click here to test..." still finds GeForce 6800 LE and recommeds the nvidia driver.

Strangely, it also displays a comment that "nVidia is installed, but the driver is not working." Well, it certainly WAS installed, but then uninstalled from the PPM, which now reports that the driver is no longer installed. So somebody is not getting with the program.

To apply the patch, I clicked on "Download", the download window had "open with petget" selected, I clicked [OK], then I allowed the install. That was all that was requested, and so all I did, and all I usually do, unless forced to do something else by the install process itself.

Now, the Drivers test shows "For your Intel video card, Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) we think the best driver is Xorg_High." Then "Xorg upgrade is installed and appears to work. You can check by running 'glxgears' in a terminal emulator."

So I checked, and glxgears does NOT work. It did work, but now does not.

[ As an aside, why is it that I do not know how to highlight and copy text from system message windows? Why is that not intuitive? Is it even possible? Why should it be hard to easily grab any system message text of any sort? Yeah, I could learn to snapshot the screen image, but why are we forced into that? ]

Tasgarth

#1020 Post by Tasgarth »

01micko wrote:
RandSec

Check patch.
Installed patch.
Recommendation the same as before for me.
It is the proper driver recommendation for my video card.
+1