Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 12:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 68 of 129 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
RandSec

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 02:05    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
pemasu wrote:
Randsec. Do you have double video graphics ?

This could be a possibility.

RandSec,

Can you post the output of "lspci -nn".. to make it easy for you to paste, run the command as follows and your result will be in a text file called "myfile" in the root directory; just open it with the text editor and paste the entire contents.
Code:
lspci -nn > /root/myfile

the "-nn" option displays the unique vendor and device ID's.

Thanks

OK, here it is:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller [8086:0040] (rev 12)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0042] (rev 12)
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller [8086:3b64] (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller [8086:3b3c] (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio [8086:3b56] (rev 06)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:3b42] (rev 06)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 [8086:3b4a] (rev 06)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 6 [8086:3b4c] (rev 06)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller [8086:3b34] (rev 06)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev a6)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller [8086:3b06] (rev 06)
00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA IDE Controller [8086:3b20] (rev 06)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller [8086:3b30] (rev 06)
00:1f.5 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 2 port SATA IDE Controller [8086:3b26] (rev 06)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem [8086:3b32] (rev 06)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)
03:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB368 IDE controller [197b:2368]
04:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Agere Systems FW322/323 [11c1:5811] (rev 70)
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 02:07    Post_subject:  

RandSec wrote:

The problem is not that we do not have a good driver. The problem is that the current suggestion is unexpectedly different and probably very wrong.
Hence my request for the output of the above command Wink
scsijon

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 02:15    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
Quote:
please explain the dictionary comment

Just my little jest, Eudora never had the OED; haven't had time to check whether the Mozilla influence has encouraged them to speak Queen's English over there yet.

Having had enough trouble getting the eudora team enough usefull feedback data, so it would work without producing any errors when we started creating EudoraOSE (Puppy 4.3.1. days would you believe), I am still a "little" sensetive over this package, your forgiven Twisted Evil for now.

As far as your problem, when you are online, the Dictionary & Theosaurus should work to your local spelling if you are setup for your country and language group (codes) properly in puppy.

There is no message spellchecker as such yet, however it is on the todo list, but that is some time away still.

scsijon
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 02:38    Post_subject:  

RandSec

There does seem to be a coincidence in the device ID's but the current filter fails to work. I have put in a different filter.. see how it goes. Curious that you got the correct recommendation with 256/257. That would suggest that it's a name change issue from luci to lupu. I'll look into that further.

Everyone can test the patch, whether you have updated graphics or not you should still get a recommendation.

Cheers
graphics_patch-1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  graphics_patch-1.pet 
Filesize  1.22 KB 
Downloaded  138 Time(s) 

Sage

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 02:58    Post_subject:  

Quote:
There is no message spellchecker as such yet, however it is on the todo list, but that is some time away still.

Best news yet. RoW will rejoice. Always was the best but Qualcomm was ostrich-like. Mr Webster was the real culprit, though.
Almost as perverse as punters who insist on using Puppy with multi-core processors and Intel graphics! Not as if the world's best chip designers aren't 'local' to the plaintiffs.
stu90

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 08:17    Post_subject:  

Might be a bit late now but i added the option to select rounded corners in pfbpanel setup GUI for the fbpanel.

pfbpanel.gz
Description  move to /usr/sbin
gz

Download 
Filename  pfbpanel.gz 
Filesize  5.03 KB 
Downloaded  122 Time(s) 
cowboy

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 09:48    Post_subject: Re: Sound and video  

gcmartin wrote:
I haven't gone thru this Lupu thread, but does this blog discussion impact Lupu?

Not that I'm aware of (I was part of the thread in question). While the issue has been experienced in Wary 5.1.1 (and recent spups), Mr. Kauler says he has a fix in, and it has not been an issue with Lupu or Luci.

playdayz

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 09:54    Post_subject:  

RandSec,

Quote:
The problem is not that we do not have a good driver. The problem is that the current suggestion is unexpectedly different and probably very wrong.

Yes. Understood. Can you install 01mico's graphics-patch and then see what recommendation you get? Thanks.

01micko, Thanks for checking. Here's what changed from luci-257 to lupu-521.

-> the name, luci to lupu
-> rerwin's /etc/udev/rules.d/00.i915_modeset0.rules to version 2
-> back to original udev because the 151 updates seemed to be associated with network dropouts (so 521 has the same udev as 520)

-> udev_lib *was* updated from the version in the Ubuntu Lucid repo which we have been using all along, to the version in the Lucid-Updates repo (same 151 version number). This was done for 257 though.
Jades

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 10:21    Post_subject:  

LiveCD on Merlin (Pentium D). I made a copy of the lupusave from 520 under a different name and booted off the CD. Chose to upgrade the copied lupusave and told it to copy the SFS file to hard drive. Booted cleanly to the desktop and sound and networking were still working. Even my IceWM setup came across smoothly!

Moved the SFS to the same directory as the lupusave (/mnt/home/PuppyFiles) and rebooted. Everything still working. Uninstalled Pwidgets, obsolete patch for 520 and a couple of pets which have newer versions in the 521 RC SFS then rebooted.

I haven't encountered any problems so far, used it for several hours last night and it seems to be working very well. I'll do some more testing tomorrow.

playdayz

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 10:37    Post_subject:  

RandSec, Do you still have luci-257? If so, could you boot that and run this same command 01micko posted? Thanks.

Quote:
Can you post the output of "lspci -nn".. to make it easy for you to paste, run the command as follows and your result will be in a text file called "myfile" in the root directory; just open it with the text editor and paste the entire contents.
Code:
lspci -nn > /root/myfile

the "-nn" option displays the unique vendor and device ID's.
666philb

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 11:46    Post_subject:  

there have been a few posts about this on the forum , about the xfce compiz pet. in the ppm. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66318

I've installed it 4 times, and only once did it work properly. The other times i had the same issue as in the link. No windows borders, so you can't move windows around, can't minimize etc. Just tried it again on lup521rc and same problem.

bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 13:00    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
RandSec

There does seem to be a coincidence in the device ID's but the current filter fails to work. I have put in a different filter.. see how it goes. Curious that you got the correct recommendation with 256/257. That would suggest that it's a name change issue from luci to lupu. I'll look into that further.

Everyone can test the patch, whether you have updated graphics or not you should still get a recommendation.

Cheers

Check patch.
Installed patch.
Recommendation the same as before for me.
It is the proper driver recommendation for my video card.
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 13:18    Post_subject:  

About not having network connection remembered on reboot.
When you boot up,
Are you sure that whatever you use to connect to the network has been operating long enough for the connection to be made?
Has the modem been turned on and had time to establish connection before booting Puppy?
I tried this idea out.
I started Puppy before powering up my DSL modem.
Started the modem in the middle of booting Puppy.
Puppy got fully loaded before the modem had time to establish connection.
What do you think happened?
Had big Red X over network icon.
Had to re-setup network connection in Puppy.
To me appeared that Puppy did not remember network settings or auto connect.
RandSec

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 13:20    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
RandSec

Cheers

At this point, using my 521RC Puppy which had the nvidia driver installed, then removed, then the Xorg_High installed: checking QuickPet v4.3, Drivers, "Click here to test..." still finds GeForce 6800 LE and recommeds the nvidia driver.

Strangely, it also displays a comment that "nVidia is installed, but the driver is not working." Well, it certainly WAS installed, but then uninstalled from the PPM, which now reports that the driver is no longer installed. So somebody is not getting with the program.

To apply the patch, I clicked on "Download", the download window had "open with petget" selected, I clicked [OK], then I allowed the install. That was all that was requested, and so all I did, and all I usually do, unless forced to do something else by the install process itself.

Now, the Drivers test shows "For your Intel video card, Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) we think the best driver is Xorg_High." Then "Xorg upgrade is installed and appears to work. You can check by running 'glxgears' in a terminal emulator."

So I checked, and glxgears does NOT work. It did work, but now does not.

[ As an aside, why is it that I do not know how to highlight and copy text from system message windows? Why is that not intuitive? Is it even possible? Why should it be hard to easily grab any system message text of any sort? Yeah, I could learn to snapshot the screen image, but why are we forced into that? ]
Tasgarth

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 13:22    Post_subject:  

Quote:
01micko wrote:
RandSec

Quote:
Check patch.
Installed patch.
Recommendation the same as before for me.
It is the proper driver recommendation for my video card.

+1
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 68 of 129 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum