How to put a program icon on the desktop?

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
scsijon

How to put a program icon on the desktop?

#1 Post by scsijon »

Just wondering if there is a basic rox app that allows you to drop application icons (with the link to the associated apps) on the desktop.

One of those "right-click" goodies.

thanks
scsijon

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
You are looking, I assume, for the Windoze right click "Send to desktop (Create shortcut)"
This isnt really possible in Linux, as the "Desktop" is just a pinboard...Not really a "location" you can send things to..
What you can do however, is just drag the icon to the desktop, and drop it...
Most programs are given a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications which links the icons there to the binary (executable)..
You can even drop the binary itself, which displays as a little gear, on the pinboard (desktop) and click it there to execute...Right click on it to set an icon for it...
Binary files are stored in directories ending in bin...IE /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin ..
Hope that helps.... 8)
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

bones01

#3 Post by bones01 »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
You are looking, I assume, for the Windoze right click "Send to desktop (Create shortcut)"
This isnt really possible in Linux, as the "Desktop" is just a pinboard...Not really a "location" you can send things to..
What you can do however, is just drag the icon to the desktop, and drop it...
Most programs are given a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications which links the icons there to the binary (executable)..
You can even drop the binary itself, which displays as a little gear, on the pinboard (desktop) and click it there to execute...Right click on it to set an icon for it...
Binary files are stored in directories ending in bin...IE /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin ..
Hope that helps.... 8)
This is a really helpful post. Thanks puppyluvr.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

scsijon

#4 Post by scsijon »

thanks puppyluvr, I suspected as such, just wanted to make things a little easer for a new user (elderly) i'm setting up with her first computer if I could. She "did" a u3a course for windows and wanted to do the same thing in puppy. I shall set her up with some now and the rest when she works out what she wants.

thanks again
scsijon