Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 27 Aug 2014, 07:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to edit initrd.gz from a Puppy iso?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2011, 00:00    Post_subject:  How to edit initrd.gz from a Puppy iso?
Sub_title: So saved sessions load faster from multisession Puppy

I thought I'd try jamesbond's suggestion from here, but I didn't get very far. Intending to edit initrd.gz from Puppy Luci 256, then burn the changed iso to a multisession DVD for testing, I first copied the iso to /tmp then clicked on it to open it in Rox. When I clicked on initrd.gz, a window opened offering to decompress the zipped file, but clicking "yes" in that window only caused the window to close. Initrd.gz stayed the same. Any suggestions as to how to proceed?
Can't decompress initrd.gz.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   73.61 KB
 Viewed   1293 Time(s)

Can't decompress initrd.gz.jpg

Edited_time_total
James C

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2011, 00:10    Post_subject:  

Member jrb has some tools here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=453164#453164
to edit the initrd.gz and all kind of fun stuff. Smile Used them myself to do some tweaking.

The first post explains how to open up the initrd.gz.
HTH.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2011, 00:14    Post_subject:  

That was quick. Thanks! Smile
James C

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2011, 00:16    Post_subject:  

Flash wrote:
That was quick. Thanks! Smile

Just happened to be in the neighborhood....... Laughing
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:42    Post_subject:  

when you click a gz file
pupzip
starts to run

On my installs it only showed up once and if I clicked another gz then it ran in the background .
I think I ve managed the little wired code somewhere on one install but still have to check it more . There are many days I only open one gz file .

You can of course check if `pupzip` and its `xmessage` are running in the background using `top` .
Simply `kill $PID` helps to kill it . How to get it to foreground I've no idea; perhaps `nice` or some kill -s RESTART can do it .

But I've just tested it : it works when you copy the file straight out of the /tmp/mnt* directory to /tmp

Code:
chmod 0777 /mnt/+tmp+dpup-001.iso

Quote:
chmod: changing permissions of `/mnt/+tmp+dpup-001.iso': Read-only file system
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar 2011, 00:02    Post_subject:  

I followed jrb's instructions for editing the initrd.gz file. They appeared to work. I burned a new DVD-RW with the modified initrd.gz in the iso and I'll try it out asap.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:33    Post_subject:  

The modification I made to initrd.gz:
jamesbond wrote:
Flash wrote:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=506476#506476 This may not have anything to do directly with aufs, but the order in which multisession Puppy boots puzzles me. It loads the last saved session into RAM first, then the next-to-last, etc., until at the end it finally loads the main sfs for that version of Puppy. I guess it doesn't matter which order the saved sessions are loaded if aufs can combine them all at the end. It just seems like loading everything in the order it was created would be more efficient. For one thing, the DVD reader must continually move back along the spiral to get to the beginning of the preceding file. Surely that slows down the boot process. Is there a reason this boot order must be followed?
Looking at the code, there isn't any particular reason why this has to be so. The order is based strictly on (reversed) directory list order, and the code that does the copying does guard against copying over older files over newer ones. So, in theory at least, one can load the files in any order - including first-to-last. You can suggest this to Barry - the relevant code is
Code:
  BKFOLDERS="`ls -1 -r $CDMNTPT | grep '^20[0-9][0-9]'`"
in /init, inside initrd.gz. In Wary 5.1.1, this is line 1125. The "-r" there makes reverse order (ie last-to-first, because folder names are sorted alphabetically). To make it load first-to-last, just drop that "-r" and make the code to
Code:
  BKFOLDERS="`ls -1 $CDMNTPT | grep '^20[0-9][0-9]'`"
seems to work, although not quite as I had hoped. At least so far it has had no ill effect.

Now, when I boot my multisession Puppy DVD the saved sessions load from the DVD in the order they were saved (oldest first, newest last), but the big kahuna, luci_256.sfs, still loads after all the saved sessions have loaded. I don't see why it shouldn't load before the saved sessions. In fact, it seems to me that would be better.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 23:42    Post_subject:  

Attached is a script for editing init.gz files, courtesy of forum member 8-bit. I haven't tried it.
editinit.tar.gz
Description  Utility to uncompress, edit, and recompress init.gz files
gz

Download 
Filename  editinit.tar.gz 
Filesize  260 Bytes 
Downloaded  167 Time(s) 
8-bit

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 23:47    Post_subject:  

I just want to make it clear that this editinit script was in my collection of files I had downloaded.
I had no part in the creation of it. It is MU's creation and can be found in the same thread link ttuuxxx posted in this thread.
I just passed it along to Flash as a courtesy.

Edited_time_total
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar 2011, 00:03    Post_subject: Re: How to edit initrd.gz from a Puppy iso?
Sub_title: So saved sessions load faster from multisession Puppy

Flash wrote:
I thought I'd try jamesbond's suggestion from here, but I didn't get very far. Intending to edit initrd.gz from Puppy Luci 256, then burn the changed iso to a multisession DVD for testing, I first copied the iso to /tmp then clicked on it to open it in Rox. When I clicked on initrd.gz, a window opened offering to decompress the zipped file, but clicking "yes" in that window only caused the window to close. Initrd.gz stayed the same. Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

for years I've been using Pizzasgood method http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1598168876&t=25645
it explains that there are 2 types depending on which puppy linux your using.
ttuuxxx

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum