Chromium Browser 12.0.716.0 for Wary 511 [SFS]

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Terryphi

Chromium Browser 12.0.716.0 for Wary 511 [SFS]

#1 Post by Terryphi »

* THIS SFS IS NOW OUT-DATED AND HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM MY SERVER DEC 2011 *

IT SHOULD NO LONGER BE USED BECAUSE OF SECURITY VULNERABILITIES

Chromium is the open source web browser project from which Google Chrome draws its source code. Chromium does not contain the RLZ tracking software found in Google Chrome. It only supports Vorbis, Theora and WebM codecs for the HTML5 audio and video tags, while Google Chrome supports AAC and MP3 in addition to these.

This SFS is a stable, recent nightly build (12.0.716.0-79490) together with additional libraries tested with Wary 511 and Quirky 130. It also works on my hardware with Lucid Puppy 525. If you have small RAM it probably will not work. It contains a custom desktop file, /usr/share/applications/chromium.desktop.

Please test and let me know if it breaks anything for you! Backup your save file before you try this. If you have previously installed a Google Chrome pet, deb or SFS please uninstall before you start. Also uninstall any google-libs pet you have previously installed. This SFS contains all additional libraries needed for Wary 5.1.1 and Quirky 130.
Last edited by Terryphi on Sat 01 Nov 2014, 13:57, edited 13 times in total.

Geoffrey

#2 Post by Geoffrey »

I installed it, ran fine but on a reboot I couldn't run X , keeps going back to a prompt, xorgwizard don't help either, I tried again this time extracting the sfs and copied everything except /lib and /usr/lib as I already had a previous version of google-chrome that I had removed sometime ago and the lib file for it are still installed seems to be working ok now.

I'm using it to post this so all is good for the time being.
If my memory serves me correctly, I think I had google-libs-8 from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63320

I'm using it on Quirky 1.2.0 NOP but that may not mean much as
I have added and removed quite a lot of files modifying it.

Geoffrey

#3 Post by Geoffrey »

update to my last post , it appears that it needs the the lib files in /lib from the sfs, the /usr/lib files are the problem.

Terryphi

#4 Post by Terryphi »

Geoffrey: Thanks for testing. The SFS comes with all the libs needed for Wary 511 and Quirky 130. I should have advised to remove any google-libs pets.

Geoffrey

#5 Post by Geoffrey »

I removed all google-chrome lib files and tried from scratch again, still no go, won't start X, if I copy the google-chrome /usr/lib files over the top of yours it works but I find that I have broken some libs files as alsamixer no longer functions it peaks the cpu at 100%, looks as if I'll have to give it a miss as it don't seem to like quirky 1.2.0, or revert to using google-chrome, oh, another thing it don't appear to have a icon on the taskbar only a generic app box.

Edit: It must be lib thing as google-chrome still gives the same result so if I use the /usr/lib files from google-chrome it works just as well, seems like it might be a little fast too.

Terryphi

#6 Post by Terryphi »

Geoffrey: Yes library versions are a big problem with Chromium/Google Chrome because of the number of dependencies. It makes it hard (impossible!) to create a version that suits many Puppy versions. I created it to work with Wary 5.1.1 but if it works with other versions that is a bonus! I assumed the libraries that were present and only added others that were essential.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of the taskbar icon. I have fixed it and uploaded the SFS again.

I've noticed something else too. If it detects an out-of-date version of flash it wants to update it. I haven't tried letting it run yet so I don't know what effect it would have.

Edit: All Chromium does is take you to the Adobe Flash download location where you are invited to select a download for manual installation.

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Ah so it is made for Wary.5.1.1 that is essential to know then :)

I mostly only use Snowpup and Fluppy and maybe Lupu 256 but sure I can try Wary too. Hm :)

How do I tell Wary to make use of this sfs then?

I failed to get that warystuff thing :) One should still think Puppy Linux

I log out now and test it in wary and see if I notice any differences.

How do I tell it to use the sfs?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Terryphi

#8 Post by Terryphi »

nooby wrote:Ah so it is made for Wary.5.1.1 that is essential to know then :)

I mostly only use Snowpup and Fluppy and maybe Lupu 256 but sure I can try Wary too. Hm :)

How do I tell Wary to make use of this sfs then?

I failed to get that warystuff thing :) One should still think Puppy Linux

I log out now and test it in wary and see if I notice any differences.

How do I tell it to use the sfs?
Nooby: I cannot guarantee that it will work with anything other than Wary 511 or Quirky 130. I have only tested on these and it could possibly mess up your libraries with other versions. However, it also works OK on my tweaked versions of Luci25x and Lucid Puppy 5.20 but may not work on pristine versions of these.

Loading an SFS file is simple:

Put the SFS file at /mnt/home (which will normally be C:/ drive if you are dual booting with Windows.)

Menu>System>BootManager configure bootup> Choose extra SFS files to load at bootup

The SFS file will then be loaded after next boot.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Thansks I test it in wary 511 then.

I am using Chrome 12 now. Typically they love to force things on us. They insist talking in Swedish just because I live there.

They even fail to check my English spelling Ha ha

And they complain that Flash is too old.

But I am in Puppy wary 511 now so I don't dare to accept teh Adobe version.

I would need a sfs or a pet version of Flash don't I?

What Flash version do you use and where do you get it? From the PPM?

Terryphi

#10 Post by Terryphi »

Adobe Flash has just been updated to version 10.2.153.1.

Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download the tar.gz version to /my-documents or somewhere convenient. Click on it to unzip it and you will have libflashplayer.so. Now move libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins overwriting the old version . You now have the latest flashplayer! Back it up and you can then also use it in any other Puppies you have.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Terryphi wrote:Adobe Flash has just been updated to version 10.2.153.1.

Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download the tar.gz version to /my-documents or somewhere convenient. Click on it to unzip it and you will have libflashplayer.so. Now move libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins overwriting the old version . You now have the latest flashplayer! Back it up and you can then also use it in any other Puppies you have.
Ooops that sounds easy when one knows how to. I don't trust my ability to read a description and to follow it without messing it up but I try to make a book mark and to get courage some day and try it out?

Are there no flashplayer pet to use instead?

Terryphi

#12 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to Chromium browser version 12.0.716.0 (build 79490).

See first post in this thread for full details and download link.

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

Terryphi wrote:I have updated the SFS to Chromium browser version 12.0.716.0 (build 79490).

See first post in this thread for full details and download link.
does that one have the latest adobe flashplayer?

how do you get flashplayer going?

Terryphi

#14 Post by Terryphi »

nooby wrote:
does that one have the latest adobe flashplayer?

how do you get flashplayer going?
I expect users to already have a version of flashplayer installed. I have told you in this thread what to do if you want the latest flashplayer.

Terryphi

#15 Post by Terryphi »

OK nooby, just for you, here is a pet of flashplugin version 10.2.153.1 .

LATER: I have removed this pet from my site because it is now an out-dated version of flash.

Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download the tar.gz version to /my-documents or somewhere convenient. Click on it to unzip it and you will have libflashplayer.so. Now move libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins overwriting the old version . You now have the latest flashplayer! Keep a copy of libflashplayer.so and you can then also use it in any other Puppies you have.
Last edited by Terryphi on Fri 15 Apr 2011, 06:30, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

Thant was very nice and friendly.

Have tested it now in Lupu257 and both FF 4.x and Iron 10.x and will make a lupu with chrome 12 in it and test there too.

Do you know if one can have both Chromium 12 and Iron 10 going in same OS or do they kind of compete with each other?

my older text
Now the problem is this. Firefox already have an older Adobe flaschplayer that is used in FF3.6.15 and 4.0xx someting don't remember number of it.

Due to that a more recent flash always crashed due to kernel things many went back to an older version and thus in Chromemium when it try to reuse the Firefox version it says it refuse to use it due to it is too old.

So how does one seperate these to flashplayer.so ???

I can maybe make use of them in different Puppy OS?

Use one in Lupu and the other in Snow and so on.

I sure want a chrome 12 that works in Lupu so maybe that is the best place to use it then.

But where do I then put Iron or can they make use of same flashplayer hopefully. I have to think it through.

Thanks indeed for your generous offer.

Edit if I use pfix=ram then I maybe can create three different Lupu257?

Lupu257Firefox with the old Flashplayer that don't crash in FF I only have to rename the one I already have and then create two clones with Chromium and Iron and Flash for them in them.

Lupu257Chrome with the newest flashplayer
Lupu257Iron with the newest flashplayer

jrb

Re: Chromium Browser 12.0.716.0 [SFS]

#17 Post by jrb »

Terryphi wrote:This SFS is a stable, recent nightly build (12.0.716.0-79490) together with additional libraries tested with Wary 511, Quirky 130 and Luci 257.
Thanks for this Terry. I haven't looked at chromium since it first came out. Your SFS has been running very well for me in wary511 all afternoon. I loaded it with SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.2 and its been flawless.

Cheers, J

Terryphi

#18 Post by Terryphi »

Thanks for testing, J.

I have seen a strange hang occasionally while logging in to Google Mail (of all sites!) which effectively freezes the browser! I suspect that this has something to do with the password manager. After testing further I concluded "Never save passwords" seems safest bet. If it freezes this can be solved by clearing the cache - but if it freezes it is impossible to clear the cache from within the browser! If this happens, kill Chromium and then delete /root/.cache/chromium. On restarting Chromium it will be re-created and should run OK. This action will not delete bookmarks or settings.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else sees this behaviour.

LATER: No, it is more complicated than a problem with the password manager. Doing some research on Google I see numerous reports of this problem for several years through different versions of Chromium and Chrome. There are almost as many theories as to why it happens as reports. Among the suggestions are javascript issue, flash version issue, linux kernel 2.6.32.x bug ......

Terryphi

#19 Post by Terryphi »

Error
Last edited by Terryphi on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Terryphi

#20 Post by Terryphi »

It is apparent from my server logs that some people do not realise that a username and password are required to download the SFS. They are the usual username and password used for Puppy downloads. If you do not know what they are please PM me.