I am considering swithing to Puppylinux just have a few ques

Booting, installing, newbie
Vanquishedangel

I am considering swithing to Puppylinux just have a few ques

#1 Post by Vanquishedangel »

Hi I have 3 computers i need to swicth over, one is a compaq presario laptop 1500us with a w200 wireless card, the other two are hp dc7100 desktops.

My questions are is there an updater in puppy? will the w200 work with this distro? can wine be installed? Can playonlinux be installed? can i use synaptic in puppy or just puppyget?

I am very familiar with ubuntu as i have run it for years but I am really impressed with puppy linux, also can i play mp3 in puppy? really i want all the functionality of ubuntu in puppy, or to be close and it seems like it is there. also what about heroes of newerth?

I searched for these online in forums and really never found anything to answer these, I am debating between wattos and puppy linux, so far if puppy can do these things, i will use puppy for sure.

Also i like totem, gstreamer, together

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The best way to answer your questions is for you to download the ISO file of a version of Puppy you want to try. Burn the ISO file to a CD which will make the CD a Live Puppy boot-able CD.
Run the live Puppy CD and see what works.
Most of what you ask about is already in Puppy.
is there an updater in puppy
No. Puppy is updated by release of a newer version of Puppy.
Individual programs are updated as needed and the best place to find them is in this forum under Additional Software(pets & stuff)
Wine. Yes
playonlinux. Probably.
play mp3. Yes.
heroes of newerth? Not sure.
edit

Puppy Linux has it's own version of a program installer that installs programs compiled for Puppy. Puppy Package Manager.

Look at some of the info posts here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php? ... run Puppy http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302[/url]
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 23 Mar 2011, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

#3 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello
Pretty much everything you mentioned is available for Puppy..IDK about synaptics, but Puppy can now D/L directly from `butu`s repos, so familiar stuff... 8)

The only requirements for Puppy:

Processor: Intel/AMD (Single or multi-core)
Memory: 256mb for 5 series, 128 for 4 series or older...
HDD..."We dont need no stinkin hard drive"
Boot: CD/DVD, USB, NET
Frugal or Full install via Grub/Grub2/Grub4dos etc....
Video: Xorg or XVesa capable card...ie any....

As far as media, the only thing I cant play is protected IPod m4u video files
Everything else plays.. One of my "frugal" installs is a full Multimedia recording / editing studio...

Puppy can do anything , AFAIC
....in ram....

Oh, and say goodbye to stupid "sudo"...
"I am ROOT"... :D

Beware...Puppy can be addictive....
Resistance is Futile.....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

I am very familiar with ubuntu
Must refrain from making joke about being able to use a pull down menu . . .
FAIL! :oops:
Sorry - could not resist. Maybe Resistance really is futile . . . :lol:

Puppy is a little more hands on than Ubuntu. :)
I would keep Ubuntu on your HD and boot Puppy from USB or DVD
(this is what I do)
You may find you spend less time on Ubuntu
- I don't find Ubuntu very engaging.
When I started had XP on HD and booted from Puppy for a little penguin

One day as Usual XP collapsed
Puppy continued . . .

Use what works 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jamesbond

Re: I am considering swithing to Puppylinux just have a few ques

#5 Post by jamesbond »

Vanquishedangel wrote:Hi I have 3 computers i need to swicth over, one is a compaq presario laptop 1500us with a w200 wireless card, the other two are hp dc7100 desktops.

My questions are is there an updater in puppy?
No, there is no updater in puppy (an installed puppy won't update itself). Update process is manual, but it's very easy (when it works).
will the w200 work with this distro?
I don't know this. You'll probably have to run Puppy and test this yourself.
can wine be installed?
Yes
Can playonlinux be installed?
Probably, it's based on wine, but there is no native package for puppy as far as I know, so that means manual installation and lots of questions asked on this forum :)
can i use synaptic in puppy or just puppyget?
puppyget. Most puppies don't have synaptic, Lupu (aka Luci) probably has one, but I'm not sure whether it works.
I am very familiar with ubuntu as i have run it for years but I am really impressed with puppy linux, also can i play mp3 in puppy?
Yes, you can play mp3. As puppyluvr said, puppy play almost everything you throw at it ...
really i want all the functionality of ubuntu in puppy, or to be close and it seems like it is there.
Puppy has the same essential utilities as Ubuntu, but it's not identical and you may have to adjust your habit / expectation a bit.
also what about heroes of newerth?
Same answer as playonlinux. Alternatively, if you ask nicely, someone may be kind enough to create a puppy package for you (think of sc0ttman and/or muggins - they're puppy game experts :D ).
I searched for these online in forums and really never found anything to answer these, I am debating between wattos and puppy linux, so far if puppy can do these things, i will use puppy for sure.
Use whatever is suitable and/or useful for you.

On a side note: I didn't know about wattOS until you said so here, so I went to check the official website and I still haven't got a clear understanding of what it is. The "Information" tab is just a link to a bunch of blog posts ... I was expecting to see a one-page summary of what it is and what it's meant for.
Also i like totem, gstreamer, together
Puppy has a wealth of multimedia players, in my opinion much better than totem. And, why do you need gstreamer for?

Follow Lobster's advice - as the official crustacean, he knows the depths of ocean of possibilities that is puppy. Install puppy first, frugal install (only 3 files to copy), on your Ubuntu. Use it when you see fit. If you don't like it, you can wipe the 3 files and puppy is gone. If you like it, then you will boot lesser and lesser into Ubuntu ... and then we can talk more :D
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

sfeeley

#6 Post by sfeeley »

And remember, unlike other distros, a "live cd" in puppy really does run exactly as well as a "regular install." (everything gets loaded into ram from the cd at boot, and then after that, you can take out the cd, etc).

So there's no harm in taking 20 minutes to see if you like puppy. And if you like it, you can make a smallish savefile on your harddrive or usb to save your settings.

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

can i play mp3 in puppy?

yes it sure can. unless you talk about specially mad CD that maybe have some kind of protection in them. But standard mp3 files from the internet does play.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though