Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Sep 2014, 11:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 51 of 129 [1925 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
Jim1911

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:01    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
This is the forth time i've gotten this error. three times in 256 and once in 255 trying to replicate it. It seems related to the fact that i've got transmission set to autostart at startup, and it's download folder is on my ntfs drive.
You need to mount the partition before it's used. Install startmount from Quickpet>More Pets to accomplish that for you.
666philb

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:37    Post subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
666philb wrote:
This is the forth time i've gotten this error. three times in 256 and once in 255 trying to replicate it. It seems related to the fact that i've got transmission set to autostart at startup, and it's download folder is on my ntfs drive.
You need to mount the partition before it's used. Install startmount from Quickpet>More Pets to accomplish that for you.

hi jim1911, i do use startmount, i'm supposing that transmission must have tried to access the partition before startmount had mounted it. The problem is though, now that the errors occurred, the partition has remained read only, on successive reboots. Any idea how to change it back to read/write?

thanks

666philb

JonT

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 10:58    Post subject:  

My Inspiron 1100 with Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE (rev 03) chipset has had significant black screen problems since lupu 500 on reboots or basically any X restart, even attempting to make a save file. Luci 256 appears to be a distinct improvement, only one failure in perhaps 20 boots. Fresh boot (frugal), run xorgwizard, it picks "intel" driver. Rerwin's efforts, I assume, so special thanks to him for this improvement as well the many contributors.

Not a new bug: smbclient works fine for me despite giving multiple warning init_iconv messages as posted in
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23464&start=280 and more recently in a Lucid Puppy 5.2 thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63251&start=247
with rcrsn51's cure, a missing file, explained and supplied as a pet here,
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23464&start=283. Using his pet fixed it for me in luci 256. Shouldn't the file should be included by default?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 14:25    Post subject:  

Quote:
Using his pet fixed it for me in luci 256. Shouldn't the file should be included by default?

See BarryK's discussion here.
chrismt

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 14:40    Post subject:  

Just noticed

Google Chrome will not work in Puppy as it will not run as root anymore atleast this is there in the dev version i tested

I am not sure if any puppian found a work around it

Sad
nooby

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 14:59    Post subject:  

chrismt wrote:
Just noticed

Google Chrome will not work in Puppy as it will not run as root anymore atleast this is there in the dev version i tested

I am not sure if any puppian found a work around it

Sad

wow can it know such things? I mean the Chrome is just a program, how do they check it out? Do they mention it on their forum or something, a work around or so.

Ah the Dev version of Crome. How different is teh Chromium version then. Does that have a Dev version too. is it less resourceful maybe?

playdayz

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 15:03    Post subject:  

Quote:
Using his pet fixed it for me in luci 256. Shouldn't the file should be included by default?

See BarryK's discussion here.

rcrsn51. Got it. Thanks.
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 15:16    Post subject:  

Problem with a program from PPM.
avidemux 2.5.2 lucid from ppm:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66006
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 15:50    Post subject:  

JonT wrote:
My Inspiron 1100 with Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE (rev 03) chipset has had significant black screen problems since lupu 500 on reboots or basically any X restart, even attempting to make a save file. Luci 256 appears to be a distinct improvement, only one failure in perhaps 20 boots. Fresh boot (frugal), run xorgwizard, it picks "intel" driver. Rerwin's efforts, I assume, so special thanks to him for this improvement as well the many contributors.
Thanks for reporting on your black screen problems. I am a little concerned that you experienced even one black screen. Do you recall what the situation was that time? Just to be sure that the "modeset" rule is responsible for your success, could you run the command:

grep '0x2562' /tmp/udevtrace.log

and post/send the output from that. I want to verify that the info is the same as mine. Note that the modeset is in effect only during bootup, since it affects only the startup of the driver. I do not expect the driver to get loaded again later, so the modeset is not needed after first use.

If you see any further black screen related to starting up the driver, please tell me about it. Thanks.
Richard
JonT

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 20:09    Post subject:  

Richard, per your request in the post just above, cut-and-pasted:

Code:
# grep '0x2562' /tmp/udevtrace.log
add_0000:00:02.0_pci_0x8086_0x2562_pci:v00008086d00002562sv00001028sd00000149bc03sc00i00
remove_i2c-2_i2c_0x8086_0x2562_pci:v00008086d00002562sv00001028sd00000149bc03sc00i00
#

Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid.pet is installed. Hardinfo reports 636 MB and version A32 bios. I'm using legacy grub with no modeset nor acpi options, though I've fiddled around with them.

I can't give you much to work with. Sadly, I know no way to make the problem come-and-go, despite looking. One poor hint - a reboot is more likely to fail than first boot - I wonder (without further reason) if it is a temperature effect, possibly a critical timing issue - just conjecture. For comparsion, Wary and 214X (i810 driver vs Intel with Luci) have never failed.

A few more black screens have happened for me today with luci-256, atypically rebooting often for testing; however, something is better.

Luci-256 is also better for me for restarting X as required after some installations. It hasn't failed yet. Losing some long downloads was bothersome.

ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't help, even with some blind xwin's; ctrl-alt-delete does reboot.

I appreciate your efforts and attention; however I don't feel that this is a puppy issue, but a kernel issue and you shouldn't beat yourselves up too much over it. If I can supply anything, let me know.
Brown Mouse

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 20:18    Post subject:  

smokey01 wrote:
I have just installed the video driver as suggested in quickpet now Skype video works fine. See attached graphic. I am running live and have not created a savefile yet.

Wish I could say the say the same smokey01.
I installed the correct nvidia driver in all versions of Lucid pups plus I tried other brands of webcams but still no luck with Skype video.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 21:06    Post subject: Pros & Cons of Firefox direct from Mozilla, and a Pet
Subject description: Tiddying up a loose end

Hi all,
Posting from Luci 256 on a Dell Dimension 4600, 2 Gb Ram. Haven't discovered any problems.

A couple days ago, Lobster grumbled --odd vision, actually I think they snap their claws when irritated-- about the time it took him to setup a new installation, and someone --I can't locate the post-- asked about the pros and cons of downloading firefox directly from mozilla vis-a-vis installing a pet.
To the later, Playdaz responded that he didn't think it made much difference other than that if a pet (or SFS) wasn't used firefox wouldn't appear on the menu.
I can think of one other significant, 'though rare, drawback: on occasion some other application will "call" the default browser, and I can think of no way by which a "non-Puppy" version of firefox can be the default browser.
Edit: 2/19/13: Many (all?) current puppies include an application for choosing default applications. It uses drop-down menus for making selections in categories, including browser. However, by accident I discovered that you can type in your choice, So you can type in /root/my-applications/bin/firefox (the script to call firefox-external). Or if that doesn't work, try typing in /mnt/home/firefox/firefox if that's where your executable is located), But see also my post regarding dependencies: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=506418#506418
That said, the advantages of using firefox from a Program Folder was discussed a couple of years ago by Playdaz. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29562. More recently, DaveS created the FoxyFun Pet, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=481121#481121 which would install the 3.6.5 version of firefox to /mnt/home and created a menu entry. On a different thread started by DaveS, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63393&start=45 I had volunteered to develop an "FoxyFun extra-distros" pet --i.e., one that would enable the use of the same FoxyFun files from several Puppys, but ran into a conceptual snag, put the project aside and got distracted. The aforementioned comments stimulated me to revisit and untangle the snag. [I had been unsuccessfully trying to employ a symlink which didn't work. A script did].

To get to the point, combining the works of Playdaz and DaveS, the attached pet creates a desktop file (and thus a menu entry) for any firefox, including FoxyFun. It does so by installing a script and an icon in my-applications/bin, and a desktop file in /usr/share/applications. That script presumes that firefox’s executable is located in the /mnt/home/firefox folder which would be created if you unpack the file downloaded from Mozilla.com in /mnt/home. If your firefox folder is located elsewhere, or called something else, just open the script in your favorite text editor and edit it to the correct location and name. You can also change the icon, but the new icon must be named firefox.png, otherwise you’ll have to edit the desktop file.

Unlike DaveS’ Foxyfun pet, which places the .mozilla folder outside the SaveFile, this leaves that folder untouched. When you install a firefox pet, load a firefox SFS for the first time, or download firefox from Mozilla and click its executable for the first time, a “virgin” .mozilla folder and its contents are created in you “home” directory. That folder will, thereafter, include all your bookmarks, your addons and the preferences you’ve set for firefox. It also includes firefox's cache, which can quickly fill up your SaveFile. I recommend that it be moved outside of your SaveFile, and symlinked back. [Open two windows, one to your home folder with “show-hidden-files” activated and another to a folder you’ve created outside your Savefile. Drag and drop .mozilla from the first to the second, choosing Move, then drag it back choosing Link (relative). Having moved the .mozilla folder out of the SaveFile, it can then be used in any subsequent firefox in that or any new or other Puppy. Drag it from its “new” folder to the home folder of the new or other Puppy and choose Link (relative), deleting or overwriting the automatically installed .mozilla folder as necessary. Or create the symlink before installing/loading firefox as it will not be overwritten by those processes. Configuring a new firefox to your old specifications takes about 2 minutes.

Keep up the great work, and have fun. If these conflict, choose the latter.
Firefox_External-0.9.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  Firefox_External-0.9.pet 
Filesize  58.25 KB 
Downloaded  158 Time(s) 

Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 20:18; edited 1 time in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 21:47    Post subject:  

Quote:
That said, the advantages of using firefox from a Program Folder was discussed a couple of years ago by Playdaz. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29562.

Dude, You are a scholar! Except that no one uses the phrase program folder any more, that really just means, install them in /mnt/home direct from Firefox. Left to my own devices I would probably still be doing that, but in my present position I have to think about usability for the majority of Puppyians. For most people it is easier to click a pet--and much easier for those who haven't yet learned the ins and out of Puppy architecture. Your pet seems like a useful one. Is it ready for prime time--I can put it in PPM.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 22:46    Post subject:  

Quote:
about the time it took him to setup a new installation

It takes about an hour Cool
BUT that includes adding software
googleearth
wbar
VLC
Openshot
Xara
accelerated drivers
etc

It includes personalising Firefox with Lastpass. add blocker plus
Changing wm and background etc
and perhaps setting up a Samba network just for good measure
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=506255#506255

Quite a lot of tweaking, this is really helped with
the new setup icon which launches Pupcontrol

A running Puppy with Internet connection is now very easy
and takes 5 minutes

Lucid with Quickpet and Pupcontrol has made
it very difficult to run puplets without such innovations
I just find them too useful to use anything lesser . . . Crying or Very sad

sszindian

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 22:58    Post subject: A Question  

Question?

Why does Puppy need a 'Personal Storage File' that has to be constantly updated for more space?
Can't Puppy have an option to the system that uses the entire HD for storage if one desires and just draw the application into RAM that it needs from the HD then taken back out of RAM once finished with that application and use whatever HD space it needs automatically?
I never had a good explination on this and why that option isn't available!

>>>---Indian------>
Page 51 of 129 [1925 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: