e-Sword bible software installation

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Subito Piano

#101 Post by Subito Piano »

Forgive me if this was already addressed, but has anyone tried TheWord? This is the only Bible study I have seen that is substantively better than e-sword, BibleTime, Xiphos, etc. I mean, it's not simply that i "prefer" it, this program really has MUCH more packed in it. It easily installs under WINE, no fuss, no muss. Very customizable, maps, Greek/Hebrew, even BOTH the KJV and the HCSB with Strong's links, etc. Definitely worth a look.

Frank Cox

Th Word

#102 Post by Frank Cox »

Subito Piano wrote:Forgive me if this was already addressed, but has anyone tried TheWord? This is the only Bible study I have seen that is substantively better than e-sword, BibleTime, Xiphos, etc. I mean, it's not simply that i "prefer" it, this program really has MUCH more packed in it. It easily installs under WINE, no fuss, no muss. Very customizable, maps, Greek/Hebrew, even BOTH the KJV and the HCSB with Strong's links, etc. Definitely worth a look.
I will try it but it sounds pretty limited from your description. Esword has many bibles as well as commentaries, maps and books.

Subito Piano

#103 Post by Subito Piano »

Sorry if i was unclear -- it has many other translations plus commentaries; i meant that unlike most programs that only index the KJV to Strong's this also indexes the Holman Christian Standard Version to Strong's -- of course, it has the usual ESV, NET, and many other translations as well.

Do post back your thoughts after you try it! :)

Jim1911

#104 Post by Jim1911 »

Subito Piano wrote:Forgive me if this was already addressed, but has anyone tried TheWord? This is the only Bible study I have seen that is substantively better than e-sword, BibleTime, Xiphos, etc. I mean, it's not simply that i "prefer" it, this program really has MUCH more packed in it. It easily installs under WINE, no fuss, no muss. Very customizable, maps, Greek/Hebrew, even BOTH the KJV and the HCSB with Strong's links, etc. Definitely worth a look.
I tried it and it's a keeper. I have started a newthread on theWord. Please use it for further discussion and preserve this tread for e-Sword concerns.

Thanks,
Jim
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

Frank Cox

You're the man!

#105 Post by Frank Cox »

Thanks Jim, solving the download issue was brilliant, you and David both have been incredible!

Frank Cox

David says he has solved download problem

#106 Post by Frank Cox »

Hi Jeff:

David K. says he has the modules working in Ubuntu using his old installer. So far it has not worked for me. Hope the info helps.

This is from Jonathan on the Ubuntu forums. I gave them the list of links that Jess posted on where to download modules for esword and they added these.

To Frank's list add:

* Illustrations: http://www.e-sword.net/illustrations.html
* Recent Files: http://www.e-sword.net/recent.html

I do not know the URL for the following resource types:

* Topical Files;
* Harmony Resources;

Frank Cox

Weird Problem

#107 Post by Frank Cox »

First E-sword lost the desktop file.The link in the menu still worked so I didn't bother fixing it. Then it disappeared so I drug the executable out of local/bin and it opened but all the data was gone.
The Bibles had all the lists of books and chapters but not a single verse was there , Alll my topic notes, books, study notes etc were gone.
Weird.

I opened it from .wine and no problem.

Jim1911

#108 Post by Jim1911 »

Version 9.9.0 (setup990.exe) is now available.

Just download the new setup990.exe and doubleclick on it. It installs fine over your existing 9.8 version.

NOTE: The download feature still does not work, otherwise it appears to be OK.
e-Sword website wrote:e-Sword version 9.9 changes from 9.8

All of the Search dialogs have been completely redesigned! The layout, functionality, and results are greatly enhanced, providing even more information for study.

The new hotkey Ctrl+Shift+S will open the Extended Bible Search dialog.

The Parallel Bible will now support up to 8 translations for comparison.

Single-row tabs are now easily set in the Resource Options dialog.

The Graphics Viewer was adjusted to work under CrossOver in MAC and LINUX installations.

Jim1911

#109 Post by Jim1911 »

Version 9.9.1 (setup991.exe) is now available.

Just download the newsetup991.exe and doubleclick on it.
Attachments
image-1.png
(30.48 KiB) Downloaded 2127 times

Jim1911

Latest Version 10.0.7, updated 2/2/12

#110 Post by Jim1911 »

Version 10.0.7 is now available

Download the newsetup1007.exe and doubleclick on it to update your current version.

e-Sword version 10.0 changes from 9.9 according to their web site

The Journal Notes, Study Notes and Topic Notes editors have been completely redesigned! You can now insert pictures, create tables, format with columns, have headers and footers, even work in print layout! There are dozens of new and improved features in the editors for you to enjoy working with.

A new Reference Library feature is now built into the program. With it you can view all Topic Notes and the new Reference Books modules downloaded from the e-Sword web site, as well as those created by others. No longer are these mixed in the Topic Notes editor with your own personal notes.

A new SermonAudio.com feature is now built into the program. Working with the folks at SermonAudio.com, we have provided an easy way for you to listen to nearly a half million sermons on any passage of the Bible!

The Resources feature has been updated to allow the management of Topic Notes and Reference Books.

Jim1911

U[pdated Procedures for Latest Version of eSword and Wine

#111 Post by Jim1911 »

Please test the following procedures and provide feedback on how well it works with various pups.

With the improvements in Wine and the latest e-Sword, the following steps should result in a successful e-Sword installation using current puppies and the latest wine .pet .

1. Download from green_dome's latest wine. Currently wine-1.4.

2. Download latest e-Sword installation file.

3. Install setupXXXXX.exe by double clicking on the file.

4. Install the attached esword.pet file which will setup the necessary files in /usr/share so that it will show up properly in the Menu. If you want a link on your desktop, place a copy of the /usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop file on your desktop.

NOTE:
It is important, after a successful installation, to make a backup of it. Just copy root/.wine to mnt/home. Another alternative approach is to move root/.wine to mnt/home and then copy a link to root/. This keeps the wine programs out of the save file (less danger of corruption) and provides the flexibility to use it with different pups. I still place the other needed files in /usr/bin and /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/pixmaps, of course they could be moved to an e-Sword directory in mnt/home and linked back to the proper locations. Also, you need to make backup copies of files that were added by esword.pet: /usr/bin/esword.sh. /usr/share/applications/e-Sword.desktop and/usr/share/pixmaps/esword.png (or just have a backup copy of the esword.pet) since these will also be needed for new installations.

Also, in a new installation of another pup, all you will need to do is install Wine, then delete root/.wine and add a link to your /mnt/home/.wine. The esword.pet will also need to be installed.

Rick Meyer, developer of e-Sword, has changed his site and now the only way to obtain additional modules is by using the Module Downloader that is a key feature of the latest versions.

The e-Sword Module Downloader is a great feature for Windows users because it shows what you have installed and enables downloads and updates, Now it also works under Puppy Linux.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
Desktop from Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.2.9.2. fresh frugal installation.
(70.66 KiB) Downloaded 1505 times
esword.pet
Places necessary files in appropriate directories so that e-Sword can be started properly
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 02:48, edited 2 times in total.

Jim1911

Fresh frugal installation of Slacko 5.3.2.6

#112 Post by Jim1911 »

Installation procedure described in previous post were used and resulted in a perfect installation in Slacko. However, when I tried updating a previous version of e-Sword in an older installation, the Module Downloader did not work. So for best results it needs to be accomplished with a fresh installation.

The e-Sword Module Downloader (image-1) and Graphics viewer (image-2) work great along with other program features. The Module Downloader reflects both installed modules and those available for download. Clicking on a module to download copies the name to the bottom panel. The download is accomplished by the Module Downloader and does not use a browser.

Thank you Rick for improving the Downloader so that it works fine with Linux.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
Desktop showing e-Sword with Graphics viewer open.
(80.28 KiB) Downloaded 1539 times
image-1.jpg
Note progress bar reflects download status after clicking on Download/Start
(77.68 KiB) Downloaded 1556 times

Jim1911

#113 Post by Jim1911 »

e-Sword v10.1.0 application is now available. I updated an installation using Jerimah's new Saluki release candidate which works great using the procedures in the above posts.
Attachments
image-4.jpg
(64.14 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times

Jim1911

e-Sword version 10.4 now available

#114 Post by Jim1911 »

Installed e-Sword version 10.4 using Fatdog64 700 alpha 1 which is working great. See here for notes on installation.
Update changes noted on e-Sword website wrote:e-Sword version 10.4

New Find on Page button located next to the Search button on each view's toolbar. This Find feature makes locating content easier on large articles, such as those in many commentaries, dictionaries and reference books.

New User Files Location field in the Resources dialog (under the Options menu) for customizing where you wish for your user files to be located. This is very convenient for setting up with backup or synchronizing programs, such as Dropbox. Initially these files will still default to your "My Documents\e-Sword" directory, but now you can easily change that!

Fixed Editor issue where it could possibly give a formatting error and not save the changes.
e-Sword version 10.3

This build includes the latest versions of many components used within e-Sword. One major enhancement is the Editors now support right-to-left languages such as Hebrew.

Many little enhancements and bug fixes.
e-Sword version 10.2

Scripture references in the Bible view having associated Study Notes will now display a wavy underline to denote such.

The Reference Library now has automatic Bookmarks for every article. The Graphics Viewer also has automatic Bookmarks for each module.

Most Commentary modules do not contain specific Chapter Notes, so for those that do not the Chapter Notes mode will now display all of the Verse Notes for that chapter. This is very convenient for viewing those commentaries that have very few or very brief notes.

The built-in Downloader now allows direct downloading of Premium modules without needing to run separate EXE files. A new Info... link displays additional information about the given module.

The VerseList feature will now accept numerous Scripture references at once for populating the list. For example, entering the following list is now valid:

Mat. 10:42; 2 Sam 9:1, 7; Prov. 14:31; 19:17; Mark 9:41; John 19:26-27; 21:15-17; 1 Cor 16:21-22; 2 Cor 4:5; 5:14-15; 8:7-9; Gal. 5:6, 13, 22; 1 Thess 4:9-10; 1 Pe 1:22; 1 John 3:14-19; 4:7-12, 20-21; 5:1-2

A new Editor hotkey Ctrl+Shift+J will convert a Scripture reference into the actual Bible text using the currently selected Bible and formatting defined in the Copy Verses dialog.
e-Sword version 10.1

The Commentary, Dictionary, and Devotion views can now display pictures, so modules can now be created with pictures in them.
Attachments
image-4.jpg
(55.94 KiB) Downloaded 421 times