Webserverpuppy LAMP and XAMPP

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
c7jaff

Nice. Works.

#81 Post by c7jaff »

I broke the MySQL component when making it more secure but then fixed it after reading your Sat 23 Oct 2010, 17:25 post. At first I didn't think I could get this going in one night but I did and it works. I did notice 3 minor things in case you want to know about them:

I got this minor error message but it doesn't seem to matter:
# /etc/init.d/rc.httpd start
Error binding 0.0.0.0:80

I also thought I didn't have to start MySQL just after installing (I know I don't after a reboot) but maybe I missed something:
# /etc/init.d/rc.mysqld start
sh-3.00# 110207 17:22:25 mysqld_safe Logging to '/usr/local/var/puppypc.err'.
110207 17:22:25 mysqld_safe A mysqld process already exists

I had to reinstall "LHMP-7.3-5.1.47-5.3.3.pet" to take a screen pic of the installation splash screen because it didn't stay up long enough for me to take notes on it the first time.

Anyway, now I also understand LAMP vs LHMP and I'm glad this is running. Thanks for all and great work growler!

rolf

#82 Post by rolf »

As I'm trying to set up a webserver on an Igel thin client, 300MHz Geode processor, 256M ram,
my first try is with the pup-431-small iso, guessing it might have advantages for the server's limited resources, not too sure it's the best choice, see below. This makes LHMP-7.3-5.1.47-5.3.3.pet not work, needed a library compiled with a newer gcc, afaict. Phil has sent me an older LAMP-6.16-5.1.35-5.29.pet that works but is giving me errors.

Referring to Growler's weberp page and throwing google hit suggestions at it, plus employing Michael's workaround from above, I've run mysql_install_db, successfully, but keep getting a socket connection error.
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp' (111)
Since it is excruciating to troubleshoot this on 300MHz/256M, I've booted to this CF on my desktop, posting from that, and get some interesting new results, starting with an oldie but goodie:

Code: Select all

# /usr/local/bin/mysql_secure_installation 

NOTE: RUNNING ALL PARTS OF THIS SCRIPT IS RECOMMENDED FOR ALL MySQL
      SERVERS IN PRODUCTION USE!  PLEASE READ EACH STEP CAREFULLY!

In order to log into MySQL to secure it, we'll need the current
password for the root user.  If you've just installed MySQL, and
you haven't set the root password yet, the password will be blank,
so you should just press enter here.

Enter current password for root (enter for none): 
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp' (111)
Enter current password for root (enter for none): 
Aborting!

Cleaning up...
# # mysql -u root -p woofwoof
# 
# # mysql -u root -p woofwoof
# ps aux|grep mys
root      8577  0.0  0.0   2228  1180 ?        S    07:56   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --user=nobody --pid-file=/usr/local/var/mysql.pid
nobody    8848  0.0  0.3  90708 11532 ?        Sl   07:56   0:00 /usr/local/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local --datadir=/usr/local/var --user=nobody --log-error=/usr/local/var/puppypc.err --pid-file=/usr/local/var/mysql.pid --socket=/tmp/mysql.sock --port=3306
root     14630  0.0  0.0   1656   556 pts/0    R+   08:41   0:00 grep mys
#
Hmmm, I don't understand why the command from the weberp page just returns to prompt, so I try going to http://localhost/phpMyAdmin/index.php and can see the page, with a notice that I'd, also, like help with, please:

The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (blowfish_secret).
I don't know if Seamonkey has saved credentials for this page (I've been able to get here, before; it seems I can browse all the phpmyadmin pages) but I'm going to give it a rest, wait for the wisdom to point my way forward. :)

Forward-looking statement, I've got GF's website running Joomla but I'm interested in making this simple page (as in Seamonkey Composer simple, e.g. http://home.mindspring.com/~rolfpedersen2/jobs/ 8) ) with my low-skilz unwebmaster abilities.

Thanks,
Rolf

rolf

#83 Post by rolf »

Hmmm, I don't understand why the command from the weberp page just returns to prompt
That would be because I copy/pasted the # prompt :oops:

Without that, I am prompted for the password and, when I give woofwoof, get an error:

# mysql -u root -p woofwoof
Enter password: 
ERROR 1049 (42000): Unknown database 'woofwoof'
#

growler

unknown db woofwoof

#84 Post by growler »

Do"nt have a space between the "-p" and "woofwoof"

rolf

#85 Post by rolf »

Ah, that's the ticket. New login works at the phpmyadmin page. Thanks!

keiffee0521

the old Webserver puppy

#86 Post by keiffee0521 »

i have used the old webserver puppy.iso and have done for the past 2/3 years, all has been working fine and i have got 2 grate websites that i have made for training kids.

i have installed this on the a HDD, and i think i did a none MBR install. the PC has been stored for about 8 months and not used all was working with it unit i plug it in today to make sure that all is still well now.

I had problems booting up it got so far then hung... couldn't mount the DVD drive... then rebooted and had problems with line 36 in GRUB rebooted then problems with line 37 in GRUB. now i get errors trying to boot GRUB.

Now the power of RTFS tells me that there might be a problem with GRUB. As im not a GRUB person..... (or a GRUBy if you see what i mean). I have taken this HDD and put it in my Ubuntu desktop to see if i can access it this will not mount .. so take it that its cos i have done a none MBR install. so i have done a "scandisk" using Disk Utility and that has shown that i have got 3 sectors errors. i bet this has got to be in the GRUB part of the disk. (just a guess).

How could i fix this if the HDD will not boot? its just that i would love to save the websites i have made on the HDD. (they are written in Pluck so no DB to worry about
[b]Many thanks for you time.

Keith[/b]
:-)

Compaq Evo N410c, P3 1.2Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb, Wireless / Wired NIC. Puppy Linux 5.01
Ubuntu 10.04 LTSP (5 terminals)
[quote]Anything can be done its just when do you need it by[/quote]

grimoire

Re: the old Webserver puppy

#87 Post by grimoire »

Hi! Do you have any youtube tutorials,like how to make a server using
Webserverpuppy LAMP and XAMPP? :)

keiffee0521

Webserverpuppy

#88 Post by keiffee0521 »

Dose anyone still have this puppy ISO anywhere on there system

Download and information:
http://www.browserpuppy.com/server.html

As we all know that this link is not there anymore. the only good news is that brouserpup is still there and is being updated. good work with that i love it and put it on as meany systems as i can for use in the labs.

OR .....

Is there a puppy that has got a already done / setup and working with the following. ........

- Bluefish web development studio
- Medit text editor
- Apache webserver
- Mysql
- PHP
- phpMyAdmin
- PureFTP or ProFTPD FTP-server
- Seamonkey Web-browser and composer
- gFTP Its just that most of the hardware we ... all done)
[b]Many thanks for you time.

Keith[/b]
:-)

Compaq Evo N410c, P3 1.2Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb, Wireless / Wired NIC. Puppy Linux 5.01
Ubuntu 10.04 LTSP (5 terminals)
[quote]Anything can be done its just when do you need it by[/quote]

rolf

Re: the old Webserver puppy

#89 Post by rolf »

keiffee0521 wrote: I had problems booting up it got so far then hung... couldn't mount the DVD drive...
DVD's go stale and, if you were running a live CD/DVD, I'd be thinking of that. However, you say this is a hard disk install, so I don't see how the DVD drive enters into it. If you're not booting from it, you could try disconnecting it.
How could i fix this if the HDD will not boot? its just that i would love to save the websites i have made on the HDD. (they are written in Pluck so no DB to worry about
With a working DVD/CD drive, I would suggest booting some livecd, e.g. Puppy, and trying to mount that drive, try to figure out what's wrong. Precise information wrt actual actions taken and the results, including exact messages from the screen, are what is needed for a remote diagnosis.

If nothing was done but shutting down the machine for a long period, then starting it up, it's hard to imagine what is the problem. If something was changed, that is, also, important information.

I would say, if the disk can't be mounted, there's something wrong with the partition table, whether disk failure or inadvertent formatting. (Aside: there has to be support for the filesystem in the kernel in order to mount a partition, e.g. I've got a reiserfs4 partition but have to boot a kernel with that enabled in order to mount and view it.)

I've had some success with photorec and testdisk for retrieving files from a fubar disk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Going a little deeper toward mechanically failing and soon to be completely dead drive, there is Spinrite by Gibson: http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm which is a retail product.

rolf

Update

#90 Post by rolf »

To finish this chapter, I've got the Igel thin client serving http://www.lanlesalon.com and, after

[rolf@salon ~]$ uptime
 09:09:04 up 94 days, 42 min,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
on the first server, our website is drawing less than 100W 24/7/365.25 :)

Currently perched on top of the former, power-sucking mini tower:
Marco
29 April 2010, 10:30
SOLVED:
missing line:
ExecuteCGI = yes

after
CGIextension = cgi
That bit of hiawatha.conf from the Hiawatha Forum was the last of many stabs in the dark by this noob to website admin, thanks to google and thanks to you, Phil, for your help. :)

technosaurus

#91 Post by technosaurus »

I've been working on some cgi functions for busybox ash that are also compatible with busybox httpd... not ready for users, but may be of use to bash/html coders for creating simple dynamic pages. The whole thing with kernel should fit on a floppy.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Proudog

Download site is down

#92 Post by Proudog »

Is not possible get a Iso image of LAMP or XAMPP webserverpuppy (the link is out of line)

Where I can download a copy?

Thanks.

CatDude

#93 Post by CatDude »

Hello Proudog

You can grab a copy of webserverpuppyx1.iso
here: I believe this is the version with Apache and ProFTPD (96 MB)

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

marque

#94 Post by marque »

Hi all!

Very nice distribution Catdude. This seems to be the perfect solution for me to change a thin client (HP Compaq T5000) into a webserver. I'm able to boot Webserver Puppy (webserverpuppyx1.iso) from a USB-drive and so far everything looks quite OK, exept for the internet connection. I tried several settings (dynamic & static IP's) using the wizard to connect (on different pc's) to the www. I didn't get connection errors, but I couldn't browse the internet with Seamonkey or ping webpages from the terminal.

Does someone have a clue? Do I miss something setting up the internetconnection? I really think this webserver edition is awesome and perfectly 'intended' for my 733Mhz / 128Mb DDR RAM thin client.

Hope to hear some tips :D

CatDude

#95 Post by CatDude »

Hello marque

Welcome to the kennels.
marque wrote:..Very nice distribution Catdude.
I simply uploaded a copy (for those who wanted it) as the original download link is broken.

As to the problem with your connection,
i suggest you start a new thread and provide as much information as possible regarding your hardware.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

enhu

#96 Post by enhu »

I have installed LHMP pet.

so where must i put the wordpress files, is it in /var/www
or in /root/Web-Server

new to this :lol:

growler

#97 Post by growler »

Under /root/Web-Server

enhu

#98 Post by enhu »

nice. thanks.. currently learning now :D

sh-4.1# mysql -u root -p         
Enter password: 
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 7
Server version: 5.1.47-MariaDB Source distribution

Copyright (c) 2000, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL v2 license

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [(none)]> FLUSH PRIVILEGES
    -> ;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.38 sec)

MariaDB [(none)]>

marque

#99 Post by marque »

CatDude wrote:As to the problem with your connection,
i suggest you start a new thread and provide as much information as possible regarding your hardware.

CatDude
OK. That's obvious. But before losing too much time on my hardware, I tried to create a full install of Puppy 5.2.5 in combination with XAMPP 1.7.4 on a USB-stick. Exept for some memory issues, this finally worked out for me.

But I still think webserverpuppy would have been nice to have a lightweight linux-solution on a thin client. :D
[i][size=75]The tighter you squeeze, the less you have. (Thomas Merton)[/size][/i]

Atle

#100 Post by Atle »

Growlers excellent LHMP .pet works perfectly on Puppy 5.2.8.

I had big problems with 5.2.5, that we came across as seen before in this thread, but this was really easy.

Yet my Joomla 1.7 fails to install Joomla plugins etc, but at least it works.

I will now proceed with my project and hopefully release a working ISO in not such long time

Thanks Growler..

Your the man..

Atle :D