My Epson Stylus Photo RX600 not supported?

Booting, installing, newbie
Béèm

#1 Post by Béèm »

I don't see the printer in the selection list.
Is there a way to get support for that printer?

dewdrop

#2 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Beem

This is dewdrop....let me see if I can give you some direction with your printer challange.

In the CUPS (Finally here!) thread, there is a wealth of information about printers in general, I believe.

Some of it, might even be useful for you as you try to get your printer to work with Puppy.

I guess the first item would be to be sure you have the following items on your machine.

1. On page 1 of the CUPS thread Rarsa has a step-by-step as follows:

Instructions:
1. Download the cups-install.tar.gz file
2. Open a console terminal and change folders to the folder where you downloaded the file.
3. Untar the cups-install.tar.gz with "tar -xvzf cups-install.tar.gz". This tar file includes the scripts to install cups. ESP Ghostscript and the hpijs driver.
4. From the console execute "sh cups-install.sh"
5. If you are printing to a remote CUPS server go to step 9, otherwise continue with step 6.
6. If your print drivers require ESP Ghost script, execute ""sh espgs-install.sh". (the hpijs driver needs it).
7. Install the CUPS drivers for the printers connected to your puppy computer according to your driver's instructions. Check in www.linuxprinting.org to find out the drivers required by your printer. These instructions include the hpijs, if your printer is suported just execute "sh hpijs-install.sh".
8. If your driver requires foomatic, you also need to install Perl. Don't use the Perl PupGet as it is a stripped down version. If you are using puppy 1.0.5 or newer download the usr_devx.sfs file. If you are using a puppy version prior to 1.0.5 downlad the attached perl installer, untar it and instal with "sh perl-5.8.6-install.sh"
9. Restart cups with "sh /etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart"
10. Open your browser and go to the following address http://localhost:631
11. Add your printer following the links on that page. If you already have a CUPS server that allow browsing you will see the shared printers there.
12. Print the test page

The cups-install.tar.gz file can de downloaded from here:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=650

You will also need the usr_devx.sfs file - this is a 44meg file, very large - installed where your pup001 file is located on the hard drive (C drive for Windows, or wherever the pup001 file is located on a hard drive with some version of Linux installed).

That file can be downloaded from here:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

You might also need to locate a copy of the ppd file for your printer. I would suggest you visit the home page of your printer and see if they have it. If not, the www.linuxprinting.org page might have it available. The ppd file should be put info the /usr/share/cups/model area.

I know that many models of HP printers have had success with these instructions, and I would expect that other brands would also be able to be used.

Remember that Puppy Linux is experimental, so any success you have, please share it with the community, that way we all benefit.

dewdrop

Béèm

#3 Post by Béèm »

Thanks for the info.
The Epson site is very slent about the support for Linux.
I have sent a message to the support.
The page you referenced is nice, but my model isn't fully supported as far as I understand.

I forgot to say :oops: that I run the LiveCD multi session, but I'll try to follow the instructions once the files downloaded.
I use my digital camera's CF card as media to store things temporarely,
so I can download in XP (brrrr...) and transfer to the CF Card.

I might try to do it in Puppy as well.

I'll come back later.

dewdrop

#4 Post by dewdrop »

[quote="B

Béèm

#5 Post by Béèm »

Hi Dewdrop,

I use MUT and ROX quite often.

An interesting post you referenced.
I see my printer is in the list, so I'll investigate further.

Bernard