The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#641 Post by playdayz »

I think puppians are accustomed to the "browse" icon starting a browser. The first time the icon is used, the menu window for choosing browser appears. I choose a browser and let it install completely. That is the browser I want to use regularly, but see no way to make it start when I click on the icon, which insists on offering me other choices. Please consider the possibility of providing an option to set the default browser to run from the icon,
The first time you should see the browser selection page of Quickpet, but then after that the icon browse should run /usr/bin/defaultbrowser--and each browser when it is installed should register itself as defaultbrowser. You can go to Quickpet to see a selection of browsers if you would like to add another. Also you can use 01micko's "Browser Default" at the left end of the tray next to the Puppy menu icon--to choose your default browser.

Which browser does not run from the browse icon after you install it?

playdayz

#642 Post by playdayz »

1. When I have a flash drive plugged in, there is a drive icon for it. If I am careful, holding the mouse position steady, a right click on it produced the expected context menu popup. But if I am moving the mouse, at all, when I right-click, the menu appears very briefly and then the icon disappears! If I replug the drive, the icon reappears, normally.
Yes, that it irritating behavior that no one has ever figured out how to fix.

playdayz

#643 Post by playdayz »

zigbert just lives faster than the rest of us!

James C

#644 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
I think puppians are accustomed to the "browse" icon starting a browser. The first time the icon is used, the menu window for choosing browser appears. I choose a browser and let it install completely. That is the browser I want to use regularly, but see no way to make it start when I click on the icon, which insists on offering me other choices. Please consider the possibility of providing an option to set the default browser to run from the icon,
The first time you should see the browser selection page of Quickpet, but then after that the icon browse should run /usr/bin/defaultbrowser--and each browser when it is installed should register itself as defaultbrowser. You can go to Quickpet to see a selection of browsers if you would like to add another. Also you can use 01micko's "Browser Default" at the left end of the tray next to the Puppy menu icon--to choose your default browser.

Which browser does not run from the browse icon after you install it?
Haven't had any difficulties with that here,and I've installed about every browser available. And remember default browser chooser. :)
Attachments
default browser.png
(18.03 KiB) Downloaded 777 times

James C

Re: Announcing Luci 254 - The Most Leading-Edge Lucid Ever

#645 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: probably we are making a Lucid 5.3 instead..
Sounds like a good idea.There have been enough changes that it deserves more than a simple bugfix point upgrade.

playdayz

#646 Post by playdayz »

By Popular Demand - The Return of PuppyBrowser

There have been several requests. It *is* amazingly cool!

Please remember that it is based on Seamonkey 1.1.18.

I have been trying to interest someone in making a new one with xulrunner or webkit.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/puppy ... -1.1-lucid

It will be in PPM but I am having trouble getting to ibiblio.org

Tasgarth

the icon disappears

#647 Post by Tasgarth »

But if I am moving the mouse, at all, when I right-click, the menu appears very briefly and then the icon disappears! If I replug the drive, the icon reappears, normally.
It is not necessary to replug.. I restart the X server...and the icon reappears
It's not an academic way but that runs for me.

bigpup

#648 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
1. When I have a flash drive plugged in, there is a drive icon for it. If I am careful, holding the mouse position steady, a right click on it produced the expected context menu popup. But if I am moving the mouse, at all, when I right-click, the menu appears very briefly and then the icon disappears! If I replug the drive, the icon reappears, normally.
Yes, that it irritating behavior that no one has ever figured out how to fix.
What causes this is the placement of the remove item(s) option, in the right click menu, for the drive icons. It is located at the same place you usually have the mouse pointer when the menu opens, so it gets selected very easily.
Not sure If this remove item option could be moved to another location on menu.

James C

#649 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of 255 on the old P3 test box.Everything good on initial boot except internet connection....and SNS automatically popped up so that wasn't really a problem. Installed Xorg_High, SeaMonkey and PuppyBrowser.......... all looking good so far.

playdayz

#650 Post by playdayz »

Everything good on initial boot except internet connection...
Do you have only an ethernet cable or also a wlan connection?

rerwin

Workaround for missing 255 modeswitch "protect" conversion

#651 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
One thing that got missed: The pinstall file for the modem-modprobe package should run the script, pusbmodeswitch_protect, to convert the modeswitch installation from generic to "protected". That appears to not have been done -- I suspect because you manually installed each piece. Not to worry.

Before initially attempting a (dialup) wireless-modem connection, each user must run from the command line the command:

pusbmodeswitch_protect

No need to run it any more times after that.

That will make the conversion. I hope you can install its result in the next beta. To do that, you can simply run the script normally, then copy the following files into the new version of Luci (before building it):
- /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch_dispatcher
- /lib/udev/usb_modeswitch
- /lib/udev/usb_modeswitch.sh

Those files get generated by that script and are not the same as the originals. So be sure to run the script before copying those files.

Sorry I didn't give you a "heads up" about that sooner.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 17 Mar 2011, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.

Tasgarth

#652 Post by Tasgarth »

Luci 255 :
1) CD-Live > pupsave... > OK

but problems with 'update':
2) update from 253 > to 254 (good) > to 255
(Nvidia Gforce 7600GT) :
from 253 to 254 no problems (only icons removed and connection ADSL). NVIDIA driver is good for 254.

But when I update to 254. The same NVIDIA driver is not good.
I must use 'nv' driver in order to get a good screen. After that if I install NVIDIA, I get the prompt for xorgwizard and tiny fonts...
and xorgwizard or xwin are without any effect. I must choose 'nv' again...

But it's midnight.... :roll:
Last edited by Tasgarth on Thu 17 Mar 2011, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#653 Post by rerwin »

Also you can use 01micko's "Browser Default" at the left end of the tray next to the Puppy menu icon--to choose your default browser.
That did the trick! But the default did not get changed automatically -- if that is to be expected.

To alert new users to that feature, maybe it could be mentioned in the browser selection window.
Richard

radky

#654 Post by radky »

On my Intel E4500 box, TuxCommander-0.6.70-Lucid from PPM works great in Luci-254, but reports a runtime error in the prior Luci-253 and current Luci-255.

Edit: Sorry, false alarm. Working now. :)
Last edited by radky on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#655 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Everything good on initial boot except internet connection...
Do you have only an ethernet cable or also a wlan connection?
Plain old wired DSL with the good old-fashioned ethernet cable.

playdayz

#656 Post by playdayz »

One thing that got missed: The pinstall file for the modem-modprobe package should run the script, pusbmodeswitch_protect, to convert the modeswitch installation from generic to "protected". That appears to not have been done -- I suspect because you manually installed each piece. Not to worry.
That pinstall.sh should have run rerwin. As I said, I had modem-modprobe install last of all packages, and the pinstall.sh was there and should have run. I do not know about pusbmodeswitch_protect though--was it in the package? Yes, I checked and it is in /usr/sbin in the modem-modprobe package. Still checking, it is also in rootfs-complete/usr/sbin. It is also in luci-255.sfs inside the iso.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 00:31, edited 4 times in total.

playdayz

#657 Post by playdayz »

But the default did not get changed automatically -- if that is to be expected.
Yes, that is to be expected, but maybe I missed a browser--what browser did you install that did not set itself as default?

James C

#658 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Fresh manual frugal install of 255 on the old P3 test box.Everything good on initial boot except internet connection....and SNS automatically popped up so that wasn't really a problem..
Did a fresh manual frugal install on the old P4 test box. Everything good on initial boot including internet connection. No problem on this box.
Installed Xorg_High and Firefox 4 which launches from the icon.

Ethernet controller : Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Guessing that the connection problem on the P3 has to do with the older Intel controller cause no problem on this newer box.

01micko

#659 Post by 01micko »

On rerwin's concern about a user not knowing to use "browser-default"..

A picture tells a thousand words :wink: (and saves another translation :wink: )

What do you think?
Attachments
new_browser_gui.png
(52.05 KiB) Downloaded 1596 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

#660 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:On rerwin's concern about a user not knowing to use "browser-default"..

A picture tells a thousand words :wink: (and saves another translation :wink: )

What do you think?
That added picture is good, but you still need to put some statement with it.
Example:
If more than one browser installed. Default browser can be changed using the change default browser icon on the task bar.
I know someone will try to click on the picture thinking it will install a default browser selection feature.