AdBlock on Murga-linux puppy forum

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nooby

AdBlock on Murga-linux puppy forum

#1 Post by nooby »

plugin-container takes up some 80% of my CPU resources. the name is plugin container. If I block it with Noscript then it stop but if I block it by Adblock then the resources still are up to 50%, 60 %

But if I block it with Noscript then I can not add url or B or Quote or anything. So I need a solution that works.

old text follows
I have done some experiments. I looked at two Tabloids with extreme much flash and BBC and Gmail and some more and only Puppy Forum has a flash that takes up 10% of the CPU resources. so if one have several tabs open in puppy forum then it adds up to 40% of the cpu all day.

While in the Tabloids that have extreme much flash content blinking them goes up to 2% and then down to 0,6% and stay below 1% while at Puppy linux forum there is above 7% and up to 12% for each tab open so it adds up to some 25 to 80% continuesly.

Very annoying and makes the CPU so hot that the fan run wild.

Could Dear Admin or Flash or somebody feeling for it take that up with the person that made the code to that ad in the upper right corner.

I've found none other site that is that demanding on resources continuously.
Last edited by nooby on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 16:49, edited 3 times in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

technosaurus

#2 Post by technosaurus »

seriously - its not much more than an animated gif with a hyperlink. what insanity made them choose flash? It just makes me write them off without even bothering to check it out.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

I use Firefox with the Flashblock add-on installed, so the advert doesn't show, and uses NIL CPU resources. :D

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Flashblock add-on installed

Thanks Sylvander. Yes maybe that one would help me too. but I have Noscript and don't want to add more such addons for the same purpose.

Are the Flashblock add-on better for this purpose than Noscript?

I guess I should make a frugal install of snowpup and only add the Flashblock add-on to see how that one behaves. I am so lazy though.

Did you use both noscript and Flashblock add-on and could compare them and then you decided that adbloc is the better one?

How do you tell it to not accept that ad?

Maybe I can do that in noscript too without it shut me out from contributing he he ?

big_bass

#5 Post by big_bass »

you can also just right click on the image in question or any other flash image pop up
and

set the image quality to low
click on play to uncheck it
click on loop so it doesnt keep repeating

if I remember correctly that flash pop up "pays for" or helps pay for the murga forum
to keep it running

so lets not shoot at it :D

Joe

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Yes that is the right spirit. But does it pay by taking up all our cpu resources.

that guy making it has not the skill to make it as efficient as the other flash on other sites that are even more impressive using less resource so do tell him to change it and still pay us. He was us to appreciate the ad not to hate him for doing it.

I try to follow your instruction now. Right click and then ...

Hope I get your right here.

I did click on it and set it to low and it confirmed by giving very crude quality.

Then I looked for loop and unchecked it and it stopped looping Check

But that makes the plugin-container step between 5% to 9% to 15% continuesly and never go down to less than 1% like it does on any other site I have tested so far. I test on Expressen.se again to read what happens there I log out from here momentarily.

Ah I understand better now. In or at Expressen.se there I can shut them off using Noscript add on. But now when I am in Snowpup14 and have no plugin activated having booted with pfix=ram then I ahve no protection against any flash and that makes even Expressen.se behave as Puppy forum does.

I have to take back the flash here is 99% most likely normal but the difference is that on Expressen.se I can shut it off and still use Expressen.se and read all its content but on Puppy forum that would prevent me from login and posting would it not?

Now I should test the addon adblock instead for noscript to see how that acts.

I hope Sylvander gave me the right name now :)

Flashblock add-on
Sylvander
PostPosted: Today, at 3:48 pm Post subject:
I use Firefox with the Flashblock add-on installed, so the advert doesn't show, and uses NIL CPU resources
You sure is right about that one. :) Mission accomplished no cupu to flash now and Expressen.se works with it too without allowing flash.

Poor Murga I have to compensate him then. I have no right to take the income away. I have to ask him what bank he use and me send him cash instead. Yeah I know I should send to Barry first because without Barry no Murga Puppy forum at all and without Jemimah I would not be able to use Acer D250 so should send her money too.

Hey this can be expensive in the end :)

But this Flashblock add-on installed does not stop the script it only stop flash and not the javascript that other sites use to abuse our integrity?
Last edited by nooby on Thu 17 Mar 2011, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

Speaking of plugins, I run the Seamonkey browser and I installed the "Better Privacy" plugin to remove cookies on exiting Seamonkey.
The most it has found so far to remove is 13 cookies.

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

8-bit do you mean the regular cookies that goes away by cleaning using Ctrl+Shift+Delete having set it up to clear cookies when I shut down or do you mean the nasty cookies that are saved on 8 to 11 different places that are named "persistent" cookies because there are no easy way to get rid of them?

That is a huge difference :)

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Hey very wild idea.

I want Murga to have the money. But I hate that the Flash thing take up to 50% of my CPU making it start the Fan and all get noisty.

So a compromize would be that I open up for Flash every morning when I log in to the Forum and then I let it be on for a 30 minutes or so and then I log out and then I block it.

Then Murga would get the money for that first log in but not for those following.

Is that a workable scenario hopefully ?

Edit test of noscript on Murga forum.

I am using noscript now and have told it to exclude or stop flash on Murga to see if it is still usable for posting and editing. Test ends here

Edit II Jay works good.

big_bass

#10 Post by big_bass »

nooby

you could use addblock plus for seamonkey
https://addons.mozilla.org/af/seamonkey ... lock-plus/

I wrote a cleaner to free up all the browser junk
make it executable call it clean-browser-junk
you run the script when things seem sluggish
it can be run many times with no problems while surfing

about the files that get deleted they get auto generated "clean" each time the browser is opened so its safe

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# clean-browser-junk
# cleans firefox and seamonkey browser junk and frees memory also
# Joe Arose ..big_bass

rm -f /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache/*
rm -f /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/cookies.sqlite
rm -f /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/cookies.sqlite-journal
rm -f /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/places.sqlite-journal
rm -f /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/sessionstore.js
rm -f  /root/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/places.sqlite

# do the same for seamonkey 
rm -f /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/*.default/Cache/*
rm -f /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/*.default/cookies.sqlite
rm -f /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/*.default/cookies.sqlite-journal
rm -f /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/*.default/places.sqlite-journal
rm -f /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/*.default/sessionstore.json
rm -f  /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/*.default/places.sqlite

sync 
echo 3 | tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Well that is nice but I don't want to use SM at all.

I have FF and are used to how that one behave and I know how to ask others who have it and so on. I always do webemail so have not need for a suite. SM does tab differently and my coordination always miss and I get angry. FF does it an easier way so nothing to get upset over.
Thanks for the cheers up

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

Sorry I fail to get how one activate it. I installed AdBlock Plus and are now at Murga puppy Linux forum and want to activate it but don't know how?

I read what I wrote earlier but I fail to get what I am supposed to do to make it block Murga forum.
I've spent some 30 minutes now and still fail to get the plugin container to go down and not take up all resources.

I guess others have tested something named Flashblock. Is that one easier to use?