Plugin container keeps Firefox from crashing with Flash

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jpeps

Plugin container keeps Firefox from crashing with Flash

#1 Post by jpeps »

note: I think someone changed the subject line; this container comes with Firefox by default.

Allegedly keeps browser from crashing with flash. To disable:

search for "ipc" after loading about:config in browser. Click on entries to disable. I haven't noticed any problems, and FF is now much lighter.

Edit: also lots of reports about plugin container related problems.

Shep

#2 Post by Shep »

In Wary 5.0 with Firefox 3.6.9 installed via a .pet, a search on "ipc" finds 4 matches. Is it the line with libflashplayer that you suggest setting to false?

Code: Select all

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled  default  boolean  false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.libflashplayer.so  default  boolean  true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.libnptest.so  default  boolean true
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs  default  integer  45
In Wary I haven't had FF crash after playing a flash video so see no need to try this idea. Yet. Touch wood. :wink:

What is the extra 118 MB you speak of?

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

plugin-container takes up some 40% of my CPU resources. Something odd is going on is it not. Is that normal?

I have done some experiments. I looked at two Tabloids with extreme much flash and BBC and Gmail and some more and only Puppy Forum has a flash that takes up 10% of the CPU resources. so if one have several tabs open in puppy forum then it adds up to 40% of the cpu all day.

While in the Tabloids that have extreme much flash content blinking them goes up to 2% and then down to 0,6% and stay below 1% while at Puppy linux forum there is above 7% and up to 12% for each tab open so it adds up to some 25 to 40% continuesly.

Very annoying and makes the CPU so hot that the fan run wild.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

shadower_sc

Firefox 4

#4 Post by shadower_sc »

I don't have issues with Firefox crashing when playing a flash video. I can hardly wait for Firefox 4 to come out. When a tab in Firefox 4 crashes it shouldn't crash your whole Firefox program. It should just crash that tab. Just like in Google Chrome. :D It's the one feature that I love about Google Chrome and really wish Firefox had. Soon Firefox will. :D

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

It does not crash FF for me. I am in Snowpup14 and it uses the FF3.6.15 and that one don't crash and I ahve gone back to an older FF that pemasu the Dev of Snow recommended me so now it does not crash at all but it take up incredibly high resources on Murga Puppy forum ad in the upper right corner so something is odd with that one.

I have tabloids loaded that have so much flash on them that a enough is enough and that takes very few resources while the one at our forum takes about 7 to 9 % for each tab and on the bling Tabloids it is at most 09 to 1.9% and goes down while on Puppy forum it adds with each tab one open to maybe 40% of CPU very annnoying.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

shadower_sc

Flashblock

#6 Post by shadower_sc »

I use the Firefox Add-On Flashblock. It blocks all Flash content from playing and gives you a nice little Flash icon to click on, if you need to play the item. This way I skip all the Flash Ads. :-) You can also add a site to the Flashblock Whitelist, if you do not want it to block Flash on that site. I think you have to restart Firefox for the changes to the Whitelist to take effect.