[ANNOUNCE] src2pkg-2.4 released

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
_Mark_

#41 Post by _Mark_ »

Joe

My GTK version is 2.20.1

I got the sources from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/grsync/files/ ver 1.1.1

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this

Also is there any documentation for .pet building in general not necessarily with src2pkg I have looked around the various Puppy sites and couldn't find anything

thanks
Mark

Keef

#42 Post by Keef »

_Mark_

maybe this is what you want...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35507

DPUP5520

#43 Post by DPUP5520 »

Ok I think im finally convinced I suck at compiling from source, tried compiling five different programs with this the last of them being ethereal, got error saying it could not create folder (/usr/lib/ethereal not found) manually created folder and it still failed with same error, others getting the error that no install script exists tried using -i='make install' and they don't work either. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I was actually able to compile ethereal by hand which is wierd considering all I did was configure ethereal with no options and then the gtk package and then ran make on both, sent it to a tmp directory and then created a pet with dir2pet. Curious as why it worked like that yet src2pkg could not do it.

amigo

#44 Post by amigo »

Well, you do seem to be having unusual luck. If you can manually compile and install something, then it can certainly be done with src2pkg. The first thing to try different is to use the '-DEST' option from the commandline. src2pkg has several ways of 'faking' the paths when 'make install' gets run and some sources will only work with some of the options. The dfault method is called '-JAIL' because it is safest. But it will fail about the same number of times as the ssecond choice '-DEST'. If both of those fail, there are still three others which can be tried.

If you want to learn more about using src2pkg, it would be good to try some simple or small programs first -especially ones which you already know will correcty compile and install using manual methods or other packaging software.