Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 03 Sep 2014, 04:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Barebones Lucid 5.01
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb 2011, 19:06    Post subject:  

As for transmission, before I can diagnose that I must ask, have you a preferred route for getting python into it? --in other words, which python .pet's are you loading?
hondasid

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb 2011, 02:07    Post subject:  

Ok, so i just saw all your replies Sit Heel Speak. I will be dl'ing and trying that asap. I believe that you have found a fix for this and I want to say thank you in advance.
As far as python, i haven't added any. Transmission usually works without anything. I opened it up in console and it didn't spit out any errors, just sat there. I had no clue where to go from there. I'm still kinda sorting out a plan of action on this one. Any help is appreciated.
nooby, glad to hear it. i have a pupngo frugal installed as a test bed for a new Pentium Pro and MMX Puppy build. It is way minimal, more so than I'm really looking for, so IDK if I'll be using it. I do have to say, i am impressed with it. I never thought i would see a desktop Puppy using only 18 MB RAM and less than 2% CPU on my 1.4 Ghz. I am going to keep it around for something. I have a ton of Pro's and MMX's sitting here.
And I get bored a lot....

nooby

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb 2011, 02:54    Post subject:  

Thanks Hondasid.

Can one borrow the Atheros Ethernet card drivers from Fluppy or Barebone or 511 or whatever and somehow add it to pUpnGo?
That way I would get it to go out on the internet.

Nooby always hoping for miracles Smile

Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb 2011, 15:41    Post subject: transmission fix for Barebones Lucid 5.01  

The gtk builds of transmission depend on a library file, libxcb-xlib.so.0 which is a part of libxcb. Or at least, it used to be part of it. Evidently, it has been dropped from new builds of libxcb --see

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2009-April/004493.html
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/libxcb-1.4-upgrade-guide.xml
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1382332

I took the advice of this latter thread and downloaded libxcb-xlib from Ubuntu Hardy, attached. With this file installed, Michalis's transmission 2.20 .pet works. I also installed Michalis's recommended intltool-0.40.6-i486.pet, libevent-2.0.10-stable-i486.pet, and libevent_DEV-2.0.10-stable-i486.pet, but I don't know whether these were necessary or not.
libxcb-xlib0_1.1.pet
Description  libxcb-xlib from Ubuntu Hardy, so transmission-gtk works in Barebones
pet

Download 
Filename  libxcb-xlib0_1.1.pet 
Filesize  2.37 KB 
Downloaded  382 Time(s) 
DPUP5520

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb 2011, 16:58    Post subject:  

This may not be the smartest question or place to put it but I can't figure out how to delete the banner that keeps popping up on top every time I boot up, im using a live-cd so im sure that it's set to run on first boot unless im wrong however when using pfind to search for keyword welcome or banner I can't seem to find it and theres no indication of it in the startup folder.
hondasid

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb 2011, 20:31    Post subject:  

Yeah, that is something built into puppy. It only shows up in live-boot with no save file. I believe it is an html file and there is no html viewer in barebones, so it probably wont show up. i believe the file itself is located somewhere in root.
hondasid

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb 2011, 20:35    Post subject:  

Nooby, I'm sure that those modules can be added into pupngo, but I would try and find one from the 4 series. U should be able to copy them over and then either modprobe or reboot and see if they are automatically added in.
pemasu

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 04:52    Post subject:  

Quote:
I believe it is an html file and there is no html viewer in barebones, so it probably wont show up. i believe the file itself is located somewhere in root.

Delayedrun script loads that welcome page. And the loaded html files are located in /usr/share/doc.

welcome1stboot and welcome1stboot.htm are the loaded stuff.
I have made modified delayedrun script which does not load them at first boot.
DPUP5520

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 22:37    Post subject:  

Hmm I believe I'm talking about a different file, its a pink banner that shows up at the top of the screen that says "welcom, please click here for getting-started information" I can't first the file for it anywhere and it doesn't show up in 520 so I'm kinda lost on how to get rid of it.
DPUP5520

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 22:37    Post subject:  

Hmm I believe I'm talking about a different file, its a pink banner that shows up at the top of the screen that says "welcom, please click here for getting-started information" I can't first the file for it anywhere and it doesn't show up in 520 so I'm kinda lost on how to get rid of it.
Puppyt

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar 2011, 23:22    Post subject:
Subject description: first impressions and problems with barebones 5.01

Cheers again hondasid,

I finally got around to constructing a small puplet using your 501 base on the weekend. The basic applications I wanted worked well (although I have a running issue within Firefox for selecting applications like ROX to open the containing folder for downloads - can't seem to solve the problem on the forum). One app I did have some grief with was unfortunately radky's PupControl 1.3. It didn't register PPM well at all, and although you could 'fake' it into refreshing the correct repository sub-categories by selecting different file types to filter - it failed to show packages already installed for possible removal. A gtk issue, perhaps? Everything else I tried, I was really happy with the results. (And with a frugal install I couldn't replicate DPUP5520's finding.)

Thanks!

DPUP5520

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 15:07    Post subject:  

@Puppyt
You couldn't replicate it because it only shows up on the live cd, pemasu was right it was the Delayedrun script that was causing the problem for me all I had to do was comment out the lines that ran the banner and it no longer showed up when I booted up the cd.
hondasid

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 16:45    Post subject:  

Ok, I've had some connectivity and work issues that haven't allowed me any free time lately. I did try the deps sfs to fix the Opera problem. They were already added in from a previous fix and did not work. The transmission fix works. As far as packages not showing up in PPM, I don't have a clue. I don't believe I removed anything having to do with PPM and I haven't had this problem. I will get the package you spoke of and try to replicate the problem. I'm still working on my other Barebones builds but progress is slow. I have just started a new business and it takes a lot of my time, but Puppy is always a priority for me. I will have results posted soon.
DPUP5520

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 23:03    Post subject:  

BTW Hondasid Im lovin workin with this barebones that you made, definitely makes things easier when trying to make your own derivative, I managed to make the base os about 6MB smaller than you had it by taking out all the printer/sound files since I don't need them for the pup that i've been workin on but def keep up the great work.
claude

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun 2011, 17:03    Post subject:  Barebones Lucid 5.01
Subject description: where to download it

How may I download Barebones Lucid 5.01 ?

I tried the link from FileDropper but no results.

Thank you.
Page 2 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: