The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
don570

wishlist -change to galculator

#421 Post by don570 »

Here's my wishlist.

It makes sense to localize the screen capture program in Puppy,
so I did this using Zigbert's method.

I renamed mtpaintsnapshot to psnapshot and made a pet package.
psnapshot-1.3.pet

and here's the French,German and Spanish locals
psnapshot-NLS-1.3.pet

Switch to Xarchiver rather than Xarchive because it is localized.

Switch to Galculator, so that foreign languages
can be used. Here's a picture of galculator being used in
French.

playdayz

#422 Post by playdayz »

We only need the ones from Lupu 511 and 520. Thinking about it, we may only need to match with 520.
I am afraid 520 is all we can match with (and it is already done). There were 1.5MB of themes in 511 and we don't have that space now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

WMA Lossless

medibuntu.org has the w32 codecs, which you can install as a deb and *may* play WMA Lossless in mplayer. I would be curious to know.
http://packages.medibuntu.org/maverick/w32codecs.html
There are a lot of them so it is a 25MB download and a 66MB install.

radky

#423 Post by radky »

PupControl- 1.4.1
-Improved detection of the jwmthememaker executable, the location of which is version dependent.

sszindian

Ambiword Problem !

#424 Post by sszindian »

There is a problem with Ambiword...

I went to- http://Fonts.Debiam.net and downloaded several various styles of fonts (this site should be available somewhere in the new 521???) Anyway, I fired up Ambiword and started testing these new font styles... Ambiword 'Locked Up' on several of the new fonts and even on some of the original ones!

At first I thought maybe bad downloads of the fonts and was just about to delete them and try again then took a break and thought about it.

15 minutes back on 253 and loaded up MtPaint... put a graphic on screen, started trying the various fonts I downloaded and They All Worked in MtPaint!

Tried the same thing in Insidious002 and the new Spup-056.. "SAME PROBLEM."

Hope this helps someone with Ambiword!

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Correction

#425 Post by sszindian »

The font URL in previous post should have been-

http://Fonts.Debian.net (not Debiam)
:cry: 'Sorry', big fingers got in the way again!!!

bigpup

#426 Post by bigpup »

In Pupcontrol there is a help button on each tab display.
Looks more like a decoration than a button, but it does work.
See picture.
Attachments
pupcontrol.jpg
Pupcontrol help button
(46.95 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#427 Post by Lobster »

666philb wrote: pemasu made a new guvcview.pet yesterday, it's the first time my web cam has ever worked on linux! :)
Where is that? :shock:

I downloaded this one with dependencies and the kogitech usb webcam seemed to be working . . .
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 014#452947

I wondered where 'Streamtuner2' appeared from . . . well apparently if you install Python
you get it as an undocumented bonus - mystery solved . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

James C

#428 Post by James C »

nooby wrote:Hope I am not derailing. In another part of teh forum a guy did ask about a lupu related question. He claimed that he had tried to installed Thunar from the PPM.

I am in Snow now so will not take time to look at the ppm.

But are there two kinds of Thunar? One being a pet made by devs of Lupu or supporters of puppy and lupu and them uploading it to the PPM and then another way to reach through the PPM the official Ubuntu repo that have unprepared Thunar that only works after one made it safe for Lupu to use?

The version he tried failed when he installed it.

Should he make a bug report here or just trust that it is a hit and miss thing to use the Lupu repo?

I find it most likely he found the orginal Thunar made for Ubuntu and that one need to make a pet to install it properly?

Am I right or wrong? I never used Thunar but trust it is a bit like Rox?
Just to continue the Thunar testing saga, I earlier installed Thunar from the Lucid repo w/ no problem. I just made another fresh frugal install of 253 and installed Thunar from the Ubuntu-Lucid-Main repo.....the PPM ended up grabbing a bunch of dependencies but........see screenshot. :)

The red warning bar is there because the Ubuntu build doesn't like to run as root.But it works. :lol:

pemasu

#429 Post by pemasu »

Lobster.
pemasu made a new guvcview.pet yesterday, it's the first time my web cam has ever worked on linux! Smile

Where is that?
I compiled the latest guvcview-1.4.4. Well, it is right now in my Pets repository only.
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#430 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote: I compiled the latest guvcview-1.4.4. Well, it is right now in my Pets repository only.
Works with my microsoft usb cam. Luvcview doesn't work because of the MJPEG format. Looks like guvcview uses JPEG??

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#431 Post by Lobster »

thanks pemasu will give it a go :)

installed vlc from quickpet
do I need the guvcview_dependencies-1.4.4.pet or is it complete?
Would I now be able to use visual on Skype?
Chatroulette, which uses the yet to work Adobe Flash does not seem to work . . .

and also . . .
# vlc
vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libvlc.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#
Does not seem to be working?
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

pemasu

#432 Post by pemasu »

Jpeps.
Thank you of your report. I had guvcview already installed and I didnt test it in naked environment. Good to know that package does not seem to have missing components. It has needed libs included. I havent checked 01mickos guvcview dependencies pet yet if there are differences.

01micko

#433 Post by 01micko »

pemasu, Lobster, jpeps

The guvcview I compiled was in xopup which is loosely based on 511, and it was compiled on an xo-1 (olpc) laptop! Took half an hour to compile! After I got it working in xopup I did test on my main machine running 5.2 pfix=ram. And it worked fine.
I just tested pemasu's version and it works fine for me, though luvcview worked fine for me too. I think luvcview is half the size compressed, but if it doesn't work on a majority of cams then maybe it should be ditched, or maybe updated and recompiled. I haven't checked the latest, it may be fixed. It was compiled in 500, almost a year ago.
An alternative, just to test the cam, would be to use an ffmpeg script just to take a snapshot. Then at least the user would know if their cam worked or not.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#434 Post by Lobster »

luvcview did not work with 3 different versions of logitech - all USB

Logitech are one of the most common web cam brands .. . .
Better people download a working solution (even if bigger)
in my opinion . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#435 Post by 01micko »

Hi Lobster
luvcview did not work with 3 different versions of logitech - all USB
It does work with my logitech, microshaft and the inbuilt cam in my eee-701sd, so at the time I thought it was pretty good.
It was one of Guy's discoveries in dpup development. However, as many people report it as failing then I vote it be dropped. (it also seems we have the latest as the last source is from 2008 :shock: :roll: )

I also noticed your vlc issue, I can concur, it does need those dependencies (libvlc.so.2, and libvlccore.so.2). You can get them from PPM if you enable the ubuntu repos (search) but it tries to grab other (unneeded) dependencies too. It needs to be fixed.. actually a later version of vlc wouldn't go astray.. I think it's up to at least 1.17.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Announcing Luci 253 - The Most Leading-Edge Lucid Ever

#436 Post by Billtoo »

lxterminal-0.1.9-i686.pet is a terminal emulator with tabs and can be
configured with various font styles or font size,transparent
background, etc.
Choose edit>preferences from the lxterminal menu to do the setup.

vte-0.26.2-i686.pet must also be installed or lxterminal won't run.

Edit: there are two other vte files that may be useful.
Attachments
vte_NLS-0.26.2-i686.pet
(58.04 KiB) Downloaded 653 times
lxterminal-0.1.9-i686.pet
(28.08 KiB) Downloaded 1156 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 11 Mar 2011, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

live

#437 Post by live »

Lots of activities, good.

Some comments about updating, this or that

Personnally, I always starts by looking for soft statisfying my golden rule : KISS, light and for all conditions, if not I fold back on my silver rule "KISS all conditions" or max 3 "KISS ligth & stable".

Striking a good decision, prevents later hassle.

So regarding:
Quote:
2/ No WMA LossLess support.

live, Will VLC, Audacious, or Aqualung in PPM play WMA Lossless?
Well, I would say, the first decision is to know if a player can handle a sufficient amount of codecs or is there a need for 2 players ?
Do you also want to play list ? Do you want to handle conversions ? Do you want slow motion, zooming, etc.

On my personnal Windows system, my default player choice is still for everything media but MP3 SMPlayer, because it satisfy my golden rule, it handles everything DVD, WMV9, M4A, M4B, rm, aac3, mov, etc.
Today, on some PC, on gave me some movies and they didn't play with their default players, and again when I switch to my portable key with SMPlayer, everthing works liked a charm, no hassle.

VLC 1.1.x don't like, the interface, the sluggish loading speed, maybe the forthcoming 1.2 will improve, but I seriously doubt.

My choice, is mine and probably yours will be on other criteria.

Some personal examples:

Google chrome 11 (still in dev) or possibly Chrome 9(last with H264 support) are my default browser, since end 2010, because they satisfy my golden rule and no other browser. Everyday I see more evidence of this:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... hack_match

Gnumeric I will not even consider it, has a spreadsheet soft in 2011, that can NOT properly handle a .csv test file with 6 cells, it just crap., (Bug reported, confirmed months ago, but still don't wanna fix).

I'll probably won't have much time to follow you till mid-April, so wishing go continuation in the meantime.

Respect.

playdayz

#438 Post by playdayz »

We got lucky. VLC 1.1.7 Full Complete with Native Language Support
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet

The problem with VLC 1.0.6 was that the "missing" libraries were present, but they needed a symlink, such as libvlc.so.5.0.1 to libvlc.so.5. This had not been necessary before. I am guessing a bash 4.1 issue???

Anyway. It would be very helpful to check packages in the PPM.

Remember, Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 18:44, edited 6 times in total.

cowboy

wma lossless

#439 Post by cowboy »

great progress.

and if the worst thing that occurs is you don't support WMA lossless, I wouldn't be too concerned. "The format has never been publicly documented, and support for it remains limited outside of Windows-based PCs." - Wikipedia.

Open source audiophiles seem to lean toward FLAC, and the rest of the planet (Itunes users) default to Apple Lossless.

My dos centavos, which are even more worthless during inflation.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

ttuuxxx

#440 Post by ttuuxxx »

VLC the later one series is a lot easier to compile compared to the 0.8 and early 1 series, 0.8.6h took about 50 extra packages, early one series was unstable and took about 20, and the latest one I comiled on Wary was about 10 and Barry also made one for wary and I don't think he used anything else other qt.
With that in mind it wouldn't be all that hard to compile it for Luci.
I'll try to remember it for next time.

Luci list of things to do
Compile Beep Media Player with WMA
Compile latest VLC
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)