no WPA2 WIFI Connection after HDD Installation

Please post any bugs you have found
cherberg

no WPA2 WIFI Connection after HDD Installation

#1 Post by cherberg »

I ran Puppy 5.2 as a Live CD, everything went fine including WIFI Connectivity.

I decided to run the HDD Installation all went well. Now after starting from HDD after performing the exact same steps as with the Live CD I cannot get a Connection to my WPA2 WIFI Network.

I have the exact same Effect with "Browserlinux" which is based on Puppy 5.1: everything fine on Live CD mode, no Wifi after HDD Installation.

I am a complete Linux Newbie so please do not ask me to "simply compile the Kernel" :-), any help would be greatly appreciated.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Hard drive install.
What type install?
Frugal or full?
What size is partition?
What format is hard drive?
Give specific details.
Computer specs.

cherberg

#3 Post by cherberg »

The PC is an ol 400mhz Dell CSx Laptop with 128MB Ram installed. I would like to use it as a "Sufbook" with a Quick booting OS.

I chose the Hard Drive Puppy Full Installation
the Parition Size is 55GB
I chose ext4 File Format for the Partition when I setup the Drive with GParted

The Wifi Card is a Realtek RTL 8180 Chipset PCMCIA Card

cherberg

#4 Post by cherberg »

anybody able to help?

cherberg

#5 Post by cherberg »

in the meantime i found out that the Wifi works when I plug the PCMCIA Wifi card out and back in again.

Then I have to run the Wifi Connection Tool again and DHCP after that....

After rebooting I have to do this all over again, which is quite inconvenient.

Any hint is greatly appreciated

cowboy

#6 Post by cowboy »

cherberg,

just a couple of ideas that might...might get you on the road to an answer.

Trying posting something in the Hardware/Networking area of the forum, that might be a better place to attract the eyes of some of the posters that specialize in this sort of thing (though bigpup is among the best helpers on the forum)

also, 5.2 is a bit "heavy" for a machine with only 128MB of ram. You might try something like Wary, and see if you get better results.

however, in 5.2, I've had good success with "Frisbee" as a replacement for the built in networking tool. (and that's another idea - try and use the original network wizard as opposed to the simple network setup. Some people report better results). But just search for Frisbee, and about halfway down the second page in the thread, the dev Playdayz posts a .pet with the full setup of Frisbee. I believe it can also be found under network in the Puppy Package Manager.(PPM).
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

cherberg

#7 Post by cherberg »

Hi Cowboy

Thanx for your reply, I was using 5.2 only to check if the Problem I have with Browserlinux (based on Puppy 5.1) persists and unfortunately it does. The Browserlinux Forum is too small and my request remained unanswered that bis why I decided to try it here. Browserlinux runs very well on the old machine.

With both Puppy 5.2 and Browserlinux 5.1 I have tried all available network Setup tools, all with the same Result: Works fine as Live CD, does not work as HDD Installation. I am pretty sure that with another Tool the result would be the same anyways I will try.

I will also try Wary but if I am afraid to have the same result as with the other two Installations

The Card does get a connection after plugging it out and back in again and running the Wifi and DHCP Setup but performing these steps every time I boot is quite inconvenient.

My question is: what makes the HDD Installation behave differently from the Live CD?

I have also tried numerous Linux Installations XPUD, DSL, SLAX, anitX Slitaz, even tried the BeOS follow Up Haiku however most of them simply dont work for me as a Newbie. XPUD looks the most promising for what I want but the Wifi Card is not detected as with many other OSes.

Would love to have a lean Linux but I am close to getting back to a Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs Installation.

any help is greatly appreciated