iPhone USB internet tethering

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
tempestuous

iPhone USB internet tethering

#1 Post by tempestuous »

UPDATE Jan 19 2012:
I have upgraded this package with the latest development version of libimobiledevice. "i-devices" running the recently-released iOS 5 are now supported. In theory, this includes the latest iPhone 4S and iPad 2 models.
As always, YMMV.

Tethering an iPhone to a Linux computer for mobile internet access requires the "ipheth" kernel module, plus some udev rules, plus the libimobiledevice libraries.

The libimobiledevice libraries are the same that I provided as part of the gtkpod 2.0.2 package -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59183

Now attached is a smaller set of those libraries, plus the ipheth kernel module compatible for Puppy 5.1/5.2.x with the 2.6.33.2 kernel.
Kernel modules are compiled for specific kernel versions, so obviously this module won't work with other Puppy versions.

Install the ipheth dotpet, then reboot.
Connect your iPhone to Puppy via USB. Puppy should automatically load the ipheth kernel module, run the usbmuxd daemon, and run the ipheth-pair utility.
You should check by opening /var/log/messages in Geany, or run the "dmesg" command.
If all worked well you should now see a new interface in the Network Wizard.

The source code is from
http://giagio.com/wiki/moin.cgi/iPhoneEthernetDriver
and
http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
Last edited by tempestuous on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 04:14, edited 3 times in total.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

Oops, I just discovered an error with this package - the usbmuxd daemon needs to be running before the ipheth-pair utility can work. I have now added the appropriate udev rule.
Can the 2 people who already downloaded this package please download and install again.

ant222

#3 Post by ant222 »

Hereby I confirm that this works with Lucid Puppy 5.2

NerdWithNoLife

#5 Post by NerdWithNoLife »

A question, and perhaps an update: I've had problems with this on 5.1.1 and PdaNet. I once had umux2007 successfully tethering under Ubuntu. But this particular machine would feel the bloat; Puppy is the way to go.

Anyway, PdaNet has gone to a newer (paid) version now. I type in usbmuxd. The device is listed under the Network Setup, but fails the first step, being unable to connect to a live network. dmesg | grep ipheth reports the phone is connected and the device is loaded.

Also I'm running iOS 4.2.1. But for some mysterious reason, it's not working. Just wondering if others are experiencing a similar issue.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

UPDATE July 08, 2011:
I just updated the ipheth dotpet package in the first post with the latest libusb/libplist/usbmuxd/libimobiledevice libraries to be compatible with the just-updated gtkpod v2.0.2 package.
udev configuration has been improved so that the usbmuxd daemon should now automatically launch when a compatible iPhone device is plugged in.

NerdWithNoLife

#7 Post by NerdWithNoLife »

tempestuous wrote:usbmuxd daemon should now automatically launch when a compatible iPhone device is plugged in.
It did and the device appeared automatically on 5.1.1. However, puppy was unable to find a live network for me, so it may not work in my case.

I'd like to thank everyone who works on puppy - and tempestuous specifically (there are many helpful networking related posts by you). All one has to do is boot that puppy up to see how impressive it is. What a well supported community!

Update: So now the device is recognized and Puppy reports a live network. It's just the DHCP that's not getting through. I believe this is an issue with additional authentication due to PdaNet's new paid service. (On the windows machine I'm currently using I noticed it checking a password or something). It's a good bet that ipheth has been doing everything right on its end.

Thus my contingency plan is to try to create a Wifi hotspot and connect that way with either my WPC54Gv2 or MN-520 pcmcia card. Not an easy task, but that's for another thread.

NerdWithNoLife

#8 Post by NerdWithNoLife »

Found a workaround using this guide. It bypasses any app in particular, using SSH (jailbroken phone obviously) and a proxy on Firefox/SeaMonkey's end.

Having the pet above installed (THANKS MUCH for providing it!) I had no issues with any of the commands mentioned.

ivota

#9 Post by ivota »

Hello @tempestuous
Thanks for topic.
I have problem with pair Iphone.
I run ipheth-pair, then I got ipheth-pair error :4 cannot pair.
desmg show iphone was detected.
I have Iphone 3GS sw5.01, no jailbreak.

any solutions? thanks

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

ivota wrote:sw5.01
Apple is constantly updating the firmware in their devices to block access by third-party applications.
It appears that with the release of iOS 5 they have, once again, blocked access by Linux drivers and libraries ...
but it appears that the latest development version of libimobiledevice may fix the problem.

ivota, I have sent you a private message.

ivota

#11 Post by ivota »

thank you so much
It is working.
Thanks a lot.

tempestuous

#12 Post by tempestuous »

I have just upgraded this package with the latest development version of libimobiledevice.
iOS 5-equipped devices are now supported, including (in theory) the latest iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

MrDurtal

Puppy Linux 5.2.8 on iPhone 5

#13 Post by MrDurtal »

Works fine on PL 5.2.8 and iPhone 5...thanks for the hard work.

Nirju_u

How to install usbmuxd daemon

#14 Post by Nirju_u »

Hello, I am very new to Linux. I have a copy of pupy Linux 5.1.1. I plan to use iPhone 3GS tethering to browse the Internet. I installed ipheth dotpet after which puppy Linux is able to detect iPhone live network using the simple network wizard. How ever I am not able to browse the internet. I read in this thread that I should install usbmuxd daemon, however I do not know how to install it since its a tar file. I did not find any instructions as to how to Install tar files. Please help me.

tempestuous

#15 Post by tempestuous »

No need to install usbmuxd, my ipheth dotpet already includes it.
And since Puppy is able to detect the phone, it must be working.
Nirju_u wrote:I installed ipheth dotpet after which puppy Linux is able to detect iPhone live network using the simple network wizard.
Use the Network Wizard, not the Simple Network Wizard.

Nirju_u

Unable to connect and browse internet

#16 Post by Nirju_u »

Hi

Thank you for your response. I tried the Network Wizard and again it detected the connection. I used Auto DHCP. I got the message "Network Configration of eth1 is successful" . However when i clicked on the browser it gave me an error stating that there is no internet connection. Is there any step i am missing. Please help.

regards
Niranjan

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

First, make sure that tethering is enabled on your phone. I believe it's under:
Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering
If you don't see the setting, it's possible your provider has disabled the service.
You could call them to see if the tethering function can be enabled on your service plan (which might attract an additional fee)
... or you could consider jailbreaking the phone
... or you could change to a phone provider who is known to allow tethering.

Nirju_u

#18 Post by Nirju_u »

I have enabled the option in my iPhone. I am able to browse using my iPhone in windows but not in puppy Linux. My service provider has enabled the option

tempestuous

#19 Post by tempestuous »

I've read similar reports on the forum - which are completely unrelated to tethering.
It sounds like Puppy's DHCP client, dhcpcd, is either failing to properly obtain an IP address, or it's failing to configure DNS addresses.
A quick fix might be to install the updated version of dhcpcd for Puppy-Lucid which I posted here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 997#448997
Then reboot, and run the Network Wizard again.

If still no success, I suggest you look up the tech-support section of your phone provider's website to learn what the DNS addresses should be,
then open /etc/resolv.conf in Geany, and manually enter those settings.
For example, let's say your provider's DNS addresses are 100.0.0.1 and 100.0.0.2
Your /etc/resolv.conf should look like this -

Code: Select all

nameserver 100.0.0.1
nameserver 100.0.0.2
Then reboot, and run the Network Wizard again.

tenochslb

ipad 3 + puppy wary 5.3

#20 Post by tenochslb »

would this pet work on my wary 5.3?