How or where do I configure puppy to NOT start xwin at boot?

Booting, installing, newbie
ap72

How or where do I configure puppy to NOT start xwin at boot?

#1 Post by ap72 »

Hello puppy linux forum users and moderators,I'm trying to get puppy 5.2 to NOT start xwin at bootup time,I want everything elase to load as normal but just no xwin,is there a configuration file I can edit to do this?,your help and knowledge is greatly appreciated :) thanks

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Read the instructions at the boot prompt...
Entering "pfix=nox" starts Puppy without the xserver..
It is even in the example given...
Hope that helps...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

ap72

#3 Post by ap72 »

I forgot to mention I need to do this on a hard drive install so the f2 option is not there at boot time.

puppyluvr

#4 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Go to /mnt/home/boot/grub
Open the file "menu.lst" in a text editor
Find the line that begins with "kernel=" and at the end add:
"pfix=nox" (without the quotes, of course)
Save the file and reboot...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

ap72

#5 Post by ap72 »

hey puppyluvr thanks,but I've tried pfix=nox in menu1st and nothing happens,xwin starts as usual,what am I missing :? :?:

ap72

#6 Post by ap72 »

I just tried the live cd with pfix=nox and it argued about not finding the kernel or somthing to that effect then booted as usual,whats going on here!!! :shock:

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please post your menu.lst entry. You may have put "pfix=nox" in the wrong place.

With the CD, you must type "puppy pfix=nox".

ap72

#8 Post by ap72 »

okay here it is,I've tried both pfix=nox and puppy pfix=nox in the menu 1st file but no luck :?
thanks a lot for your help :)

ap72

#9 Post by ap72 »

I thought .png would display and not be a download,sorry bout that[/code]
Attachments
menu1st.png
(113.21 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
menu1st.png
(113.21 KiB) Downloaded 322 times

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

I just checked a frugal install of Lupu 520 and "pfix=nox" did work. Maybe these kind of arguments don't get passed to a full install?

ap72

#11 Post by ap72 »

man what a bummer :cry:
can I delete or modify some other system file more or less breaking xwin or somthing :?: ,I really don't need it anyway for this particular puppy project,thanks again :)

ap72

#12 Post by ap72 »

Well you know,no worries :D I have plenty of space and the drive and did a frugal install on one of the partitions and it works like it should.
Still scratching my head tho,I wonder just why the pfix=nox don't work on a full install?

racepres

#13 Post by racepres »

ap72 wrote: can I delete or modify some other system file more or less breaking xwin or somthing :?: ,I really don't need it anyway for this particular puppy project,thanks again :)
I bet if you delete xinitrc, the thing won't come up in X!!!
Want me to try it?? :twisted:
ap72 wrote:Still scratching my head tho,I wonder just why the pfix=nox don't work on a full install?
Curious.. but I never tried it.
RP

jamesbond

#14 Post by jamesbond »

Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add the following code. If it works, let me know - I'll explain why it works. If it doesn't work - well, I don't need to explain anything right? :lol:

Code: Select all

touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

rjbrewer

#15 Post by rjbrewer »

ap72 wrote:I thought .png would display and not be a download,sorry bout that[/code]
Your 2nd entry (on sdb) says sda1 on the kernel line;
should say sdb1.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Kal

Stop xwin

#16 Post by Kal »

To start without xwin, I just remark it out in /etc/profile at the bottom.

#want to go straight into X on bootup only...
 if [ ! -f /tmp/bootcnt.txt ];then
  touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
  # aplay -N /usr/share/audio/bark.au
  dmesg > /tmp/bootkernel.log
  #exec xwin                                                            #Just add the # here
 fi
fi

Kal

jamesbond

#17 Post by jamesbond »

jamesbond wrote:Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add the following code. If it works, let me know - I'll explain why it works. If it doesn't work - well, I don't need to explain anything right? :lol:

touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
If you see the code in Kal's posting above, before it runs xwin, it checks whether a file /tmp/bootcnt.txt exists. So the trick is just to create this /tmp/bootcnt.txt (touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt does exactly that) before /etc/profile is run - and rc.local is the right place, as it is run before /etc/profile.
And yes, this is what pfix=nox actually does. Pfix=nox doesn't work in full install because the code that interprets this only exists in initrd.gz, and full-install doesn't use initrd.gz. (In fact, all other puppy boot parameters will not work in full install).

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Kal

#18 Post by Kal »

I only offered my way as an alternative because jamesbond was not sure it would work.
If it works, let me know - I’ll explain why it works. If it doesn’t work - well, I don’t need to explain anything right?
I have finally tested jamesbond’s way, it does work and is more technical, but, in the end I believe they both work. I’ve just been using my simple way for years. Good work jamesbond.

Kal

ap72

#19 Post by ap72 »

editing rc.local with- touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt worked great,thankyou mr bond,james bond,who da man you da man! :D

Karl Godt

#20 Post by Karl Godt »

Thanks to put light on the bootcnt.txt file .
I must say , that I thought it would have something to do with ¨bootcritical¨ or something like that ( to be read from "pfix=rdsh" mode .... ) .
But must be somethig like "bootconsoleandterminal" . 8)

I still will have to look a lot into /etc/rc.d and for myself I would have placed `xwin` in the rc.sysinit file and not in a configuration file, that is read all the time when launching a[n] rxvt .

On the one hand I had no cause to delete this always empty bootcnt file , but on the other hand I could have done it and would have been wondering about messages like ¨X already running on display 0¨ :D