HOWTO set up your own custom Bible study operating system

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Jim1911

HOWTO set up your own custom Bible study operating system

#1 Post by Jim1911 »

There are presently six great up-to-date Puppy Distributions that I have tested that you can easily use to create your own powerful bible study system. These are: Lighthouse, Puppy-lucid, Puppy Squeeze, Fatdog64, Slacko, Saluki and FATSlacko.

In my opinion, the best bible study program available for Linux is Bibletime which is a Bible study tool based on the SWORD library which provides the functions to access modules like Bibles, lexicons, and commentaries. BibleTime provides an easy to use but powerful interface. It is as effective as Windows programs that cost hundreds of dollars. The SWORD library provides all these great resources in many languages and there is no charge. Also there are two java programs Alkitab and Bible Desktop that use the SWORD library.

Another application that is essential for a powerful bible study distribution is an Office Application Suite. Two great office suites are available OpenOffice.org 3, and LibreOffice3 which are the leading open-source office software suites for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. They are available in many languages and work on all common computers. They store all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. They can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

Additional Windows Bible programs are available that run fine with the above puppies with Wine installed. The following threads provide additional information: Bible Analyzer, e-Sword, and theWord. I enjoy using all three. I recommend green_dome's latest wine-1.4 which works great with these Windows programs.

Xiphos, a linux program, is also available but it only works in Lucid pups. It is downloaded from Ubuntu repositories using Lucid's Puppy Package Manager.

Lighthouse

Tazoc's Lighthouse is a quick and easy to set up, full-featured operating system. Derived from PuppyLinux, it offers several media players, Wine and winetricks, GIMP image editing, multi-user support, a choice of window managers and Gslapt package manager. Optional KDE ('K' Desktop Environment) or multiple guest operating systems with VirtualBox. Modular design supports up to 40 concurrent SFS software combo-packs including Lighthouse Mariner, Voyager, KDE, OpenOffice, Opera, GoogleEarth, Kompozer and Xfce. The following steps are geared to getting Bibletime and Openoffice working properly. They also apply primarily to a Frugal Installation.
1. Download Lighthouse. I recommend that you download Lighthouse Mariner iso 5.03 which includes an office suite along with other applications. Also download from this site Bibletime-2.7.2b.sfs for LighthousePup. For easy use of sfs files that you need, please use a frugal installation.
2. Install Lighthouse, if you have problems with your installation, post on the Lighthouse thread since that is beyond the scope of this Howto.
CAUTION: wrote: If you do a manual frugal installation and place your installation in a subdirectory. You must copy the following files from your LH Mariner subdirectory to /mnt/home, otherwise the Bootmanager cannot find them: Mariner.sfs, OpenOffice-.sfs or LibreOffice, and (optional Opera.sfs, VirtualBox.sfs, and Xfce.sfs). Also place Bibletime-2.7.2b in /mnt/home.
3. Reboot your installation, create a save file, and then you will be given an opportunity to select the sfs files to load. Minimum selections are: Mariner.sfs, OpenOffice.sfs or LibreOffice.sfs, and Bibletime.sfs. After selections are made reboot.
4. You will find your new Bibletime program under Menu/Personal. After installation, open it and go to Settings and select the Bookshelf Manager.
(1) Click Refresh which will refresh the list of resources available to download.
(2) Select and download your desired Bibles, Commentaries, etc.
(3) Go to Settings and select Configure Bibletime, probably the only change you will want is in the Fonts section. For example, click on fonts and place an x in Use custom font block, and select your desired font and size.

Tazoc has also included a very powerful feature in Lighthouse which makes it very easy to add e-Sword. e-Sword was developed by Rick Meyers for the Window OS and is a fast and effective way to study the Bible. e-Sword is feature rich and user friendly with more capabilities than you would expect in a free software package. It is also as effective as other programs that cost hundreds of dollars. If you want to also use eSword just select Menu/Personal/wine-eSword installation to install it. It works great. Then you will have the best from Linux and Windows on your custom bible study OS.

There is also a new LHP 64-bit version under development, although the current beta does not have support for eSword, however it does provide support for theWord, which IMHO is now a better choice. The current beta uses a Wine version that does not support eSword and the procedures for installing BibleAnalyzer need update.

Kirk has provided the latest Bibletime for his Fatdog OS that also works fine on LHP.

Unfortunately, Tazoc is ill and unable to provide support for LHP at the present time. Please remember him in your prayers.

Puppy-lucid

Lucid Puppy 5.2 consists of the popular Puppy Linux architecture that Puppy founder Barry Kauler has been refining through 4 editions of Puppy Linux. But this time Puppy is built with binary packages from the latest Ubuntu release Lucid Lynx, hence Lucid Puppy 5. The Puppy architecture is well known to be lean and fast, and friendly and fun, and Lucid Puppy is no exception. One thing that is new in Lucid Puppy is Quickpet, offering many Linux programs ready to use with a single click. So, click, and you can be using Gimp to edit pictures, Kompozer to build a web site, Songbird to manage your music collection, and many others. There is a choice in browsers: the four main ones, Firefox, Seamonkey, Chromium, and Opera are all also available for one-click installation. Some people even like to alternate browsers so Lucid Puppy has a simple program to select whichever of the browsers you would like to set as default. The Puppy-Lucid Repo has been added to Puppy Package Manager (PPM), with one-click install of many of the best Linux programs, tested and configured for Lucid Puppy, including, oh, there are too many, you need to have a look for yourself. Among these are Bibletime in PPM and links to Openoffice and LibreOffice in Quickpet under SFS/Sfs support.

There are some fine experimental distributions prepared by Pemasu, based on Lucid, that has an updated kernel that will also make a great base for your Bible Study system. There are multiple releases all of which are fast and stable ie:Polar Pup.

Download and install the latest Puppy-lucid and set it up as follows: As stated earlier, should you have installation problems post on the Puppy-lucid thread since that is beyond the scope of this Howto.

1.Download the latest Lucid 5.2.8. For easy use of sfs files that you need, use a frugal installation. Although Quickpet now has the capability to install an sfs to a full hd installation.
2.Using QuickPet, goto Sfs Get and download and install BibleTime-lucid. Bibletime pet and sfs packages are also available at ibiblio.org

3. Using QuickPet also download and install OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Although, not necessary for basic operation, for all office features to work, use Quickpet Useful Pets to install JRE or Sfs Get to install java_jre.
4. After installation, open Bibletime and go to Settings and select the Bookshelf Manager.
(1) Click Refresh which will refresh the list of resources available to download.
(2) Select and download your desired Bibles, Commentaries, etc.
(3) Go to Settings and select Configure Bibletime, probably the only change you will want is in the Fonts section. For example, click on fonts and place an x in Use custom font block, and select your desired font and size.

Puppy Squeeze

Puppy Squeeze is a generic-purpose, community-built Puppy with the core values of openness, collaboration and high quality of packages. It is built using Woof, just like Lucid Puppy, but from the high-quality and ultra-stable Debian packages. To be more precise, the core is from Debian while the end-user applications are built on Puppy Squeeze itself or taken from Debian in some cases. It has a Puppy with a Debian heart, which means it's pretty stable under-the-hood.

Download Puppy Squeeze and follow the installation instructions above for Puppy Lucid.

There are some excellent experimental distributions prepared by Pemasu, based on Squeeze, that has an updated kernel that will also make a great base for your Bible Study system. There are multiple releases all of which are fast and stable ie: Dpup Exprimo SMP 5.X.10.3 and Dpup Exprimo 5.X.13

Fatdog64

Fatdog is an all 64bit version of Linux built from source packages and using Puppy Linux scripts and structure. Fatdog is quite 'fat' compared to Puppy, the complete Xorg is included along with other extras that make it larger than Puppy. Other differences include Firefox, Xine-ui, Sylpheed, and Pidgen running as a non-priviliged user (spot), automatic Xorg configuration, default localization (see the setup wizards to make adjustments). Do not use Puppy pet packages in Fatdog, Puppy's 32bit packages won't work. Wine and it's 32bit programs do work.

Download Fatdog64 and follow the installation instructions above for Puppy Lucid.

Kirk has also provided the latest Bibletime for his Fatdog OS that works great.

Slacko Puppy 5.3 Spup

Slacko Puppy Linux 5.3.3 is an update release of the recent 5.3.1. It has binary compatibility with Slackware-13.37, which simply means that it is a Puppy built with packages from the Slackware, Salix and Slacky repositories.
The main version has been upgraded with kernel 3.1.10 compiled with Aufs, layered file system support, in the typical Puppy manner. There is also a PAE version to cater for machines with large amounts of RAM. Both iso images have SCSI boot support.
The Seamonkey-2.9.1 suite is the default browser and email suite but Firefox, Chromium, Opera, Netsurf, Iron, Dillo and Links are only a few clicks away.
Minimum system requirements for the main version are an i686 processor, 900MHZ, with 256MB RAM. Download here.

Saluki (presently a release candidate is available)

Saluki is a woof-build based on Racy with Xfce. The suggested target hardware is computers less than 5 years old. It should run tolerably fast on older machines and netbooks and older machines, but Xfce does need a bit more cpu than the standard ROX/Jwm puppy. The principle developer, jemimah is developing an amazing puplet that continues to improve. It's fast and stable and now has support for Crosswire Bible Societie's Linux Bibletime program. All that's necessary to install it is to use the Puppy Package Manager. It also runs Wine and I've found that the Windows version of Bible Analyzer, e-Sword and theWord work well on it.

FATSlacko

01micko has released FATSlacko which is
NOT an official product but a puplet. It is directly based on the upcoming Slacko-5.3.3. It is also the PAE version which will see your large RAM and as such is recommended for higher end machines.

It is Slacko with extras:
  • Libreoffice
    Java Runtime Environment
    Mesa (aka xorg_high)
    QT Libraries
    VLC
    Foxit Reader
    Samba with kerberos support
    Inetd daemon for Samba documentation
Minimum system requirements <-- Pentium III 1 GHz processor, 768 MB RAM.

Recommended <-- 1.5 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM
01micko has also provided Bibletime-2.9.1s which may be installed using the PPM so it picks up all dependencies but QT which must be installed separately with Slacko using the PPM. QT is already contained in FATSlacko.

FATSlacko makes a super Bible study system. it also runs favorite Windows programs under Wine: Bible Analyzer, e-Sword, and the Word.

This is a great choice for anyone with high end hardware.

Notes:

Lucid packages that work in the pups above can be downloaded fromibiblio.

Some of the above will run Amarok which is an excellent music application. An Amarok.sfs are available here.

Lighthouse has it's own latest version of Amarok.

Enoy your new custom bible study OS,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 05 May 2012, 23:24, edited 31 times in total.
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

bones01

#2 Post by bones01 »

Hi Jim,

I expect this question has been argued over in other forums, but what is it about Bibletime that you like over e-Sword?

Are there more resources available in Bibletime? I know there are more languages available, and that's great, but I can only use English.

I've been using e-sword for a few years now, and know it reasonably well, so wonder if it's worth giving Bibletime another look.

Thanks.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#3 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Bones,

I too, am a long time user of e-Sword since it was my favorite on Windows. I like them both, and as you can see from my desktop above I install both and most of the time have both running with different Bible versions as default. In my opinion, both should be installed for those whose hardware can handle both. I haven't done a detailed feature comparison, however here are some standouts that I've observed.

The main advantage that Bibletime has is that it is a native linux application. I believe that it's Bookshelf Manager is better at handling resources that are available and that need update and has access to more open source content. Also I like the Mag feature that displays cross references that you hover your mouse over.

E-Swords main advantage is that it has more resources available via it's purchased content. I also like the little scroll feature that allows you to quickly return to selected verses. I am amazed that it appears to run faster under Wine in linux than it does in it's native Windows.

If I could get Xiphos running on Puppy, it would also be on my system as it offers some other strengths. The main thing is to use what you are comfortable with, but why not take advantage of the strengths of all, after all it's your system, customize it as you like it, and yes it's worth the time to learn other software.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim1911

#4 Post by Jim1911 »

Xiphos (formerly GnomeSword) now can be installed using the new Lucid Puppy 5.2. Just use the ppm to download and install Xiphos. It will indicate that there are missing dependencies, but I have found that it works fine without them.

It's a great addition to a custom Bible study operating system.
Attachments
xiphos.jpg
(187.21 KiB) Downloaded 1345 times

Jim1911

#5 Post by Jim1911 »

Rick Meyer's has updated his e-Sword web site with his latest version 9.8 which poses some problems for downloading resources since his download feature within e-Sword doesn't work with linux. See e-Sword and for current Howto. Except for the download feature, his latest version works fine.
Attachments
e-sword.jpg
(164.34 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times

Jim1911

thWord

#6 Post by Jim1911 »

Subito Piano has posted information about TheWord? which he states that it is the "only Bible study I have seen that is substantively better than e-sword, BibleTime, Xiphos, etc." See this threadfor further information.

It's impressive, I've now expanded my linux Bible Study OS to include all four Bible programs: Bibletime, e-Sword, theWord, and Xiphos.

Thanks,
Jim
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

Jim1911

Bible Analyzer

#7 Post by Jim1911 »

See this Bible Analyzerthread for another valuable Bible study application that works on puppy.

Jim :lol:

Jim1911

Installation of BibleAnalyzer and theWord software

#8 Post by Jim1911 »

The Bible Analyzerthread and theWord thread now have some installation tips and a pet to assist in getting them to appear in the menu properly.

I have found both programs to be valuable study tools.

They have been tested with the latest Lucid, Lighthouse, and Fatdog64.

Initial post has been updated.

Jim1911

Java applications that run well on puppy

#9 Post by Jim1911 »

I've revisited a couple of java Bible study applications, BibleDesktop and Alkitab, that use Crosswire Bible resources. Both have been updated and work well with puppy. They complement each other well and since they both use java, both can be easily installed and would use minimal extra resources.

Try them, they may be just what you need to complete your Bible study system. For example, you may want to use Bibletime and BibleDesktop to look at different scriptures and also have ABS maps open in Alkitab as shown on the attached desktop.
Jim

Jim1911

#10 Post by Jim1911 »

Fatdog now has support for Bibletime as well as the Window's Bible study resources. This is a fine choice for those who have 64-bit systems.
Attachments
Fatdog64desktop.jpg
(42.77 KiB) Downloaded 4794 times

Jim1911

Xiphos

#11 Post by Jim1911 »

I've just tested Xiphos, formerly the Linux Gnomesword, in Three Headed Dog 5.2.9, one of the latest Lucid Distributions. I installed it from the Ubuntu repository using PPM and it is missing some depencencies, however, it works fine without them.
Jim
Attachments
image-3.jpg
(74.53 KiB) Downloaded 4575 times

Jim1911

#12 Post by Jim1911 »

Slacko Puppy 5.3

The new flagship Puppy Linux has been released, version 5.3, named Slacko Puppy. Slacko Puppy Linux 5.3 is a child, or better a pup, of Barry Kauler's Woof build system. It has binary compatibility with Slackware-13.37, which simply means that it is a Puppy built with packages from the Slackware, Salix and Slacky repositories. The main version has kernel 2.6.37.6 compiled with Aufs, layered file system support, in the typical Puppy manner.

I've found it to be fast and stable, it has many updates, including a newer kernel, over the last official release, Lucid.

Download Slacko 5.3 and follow the installation instructions above for Puppy Lucid.
Attachments
Slacko.jpg
(32.25 KiB) Downloaded 4396 times

Jim1911

BiblePup 5.0

#13 Post by Jim1911 »

Oldyeller wrote:I have just got done doing a remaster of lupu 528 called BiblePup. It has theWord and BibleAnalyzer programs pre-installed by permission from the creators of these.
BiblePup appears to be a well done remaster that provides a nice basic out-of-box Bible study system. It is easily made a more powerful study system by adding a few additional programs ie: Bibletime and Libreoffice both of which may be installed by using Lucid's Quickpet/Sfs get.

The included "theWord" and "BibleAnalyzer" programs are very powerful, however they only have the basic resources installed. Both can be upgraded by going to their web site and downloading additional free and/or purchased resources that make them extremely powerful programs.

Good work "Oldyeller"

Thank you,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
BiblePup desktop with added Bibletime
(55.78 KiB) Downloaded 3917 times

bones01

#14 Post by bones01 »

Hi Jim,

I wonder if I could ask a huge favour of you. I use OliveTree Bible Reader on my phone (android) and they have recently set up a desktop version. I'm using this on my windows machine, and it's great having the same program on my desktop and phone. But I can't get it going in puppy.

I've got e-Sword and TheWord running great, so I know some things work. When I try OliveTree, I end up with this (see pic)

Could you have a look at this and, if possible, let me know what's missing? Thanks. http://www.olivetree.com/

Bones
Attachments
BibleReaderSetup.png
(25.78 KiB) Downloaded 4084 times
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#15 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:Hi Jim,

I wonder if I could ask a huge favour of you. I use OliveTree Bible Reader on my phone (android) and they have recently set up a desktop version. I'm using this on my windows machine, and it's great having the same program on my desktop and phone. But I can't get it going in puppy.

I've got e-Sword and TheWord running great, so I know some things work. When I try OliveTree, I end up with this (see pic)

Could you have a look at this and, if possible, let me know what's missing? Thanks. http://www.olivetree.com/

Bones
Hi bones,

Sorry, I've had no success trying to install with a pup. Since you already have it on Windows, I haven't tried that.

Regards,
Jim

bones01

#16 Post by bones01 »

Thanks for having a go Jim. I appreciate your efforts - and your efforts with the other programs too.

Bones

Jim1911

#17 Post by Jim1911 »

Dpup Exprimo, pemasu's great puplet now has support for the CrossWire Bible Society's Linux Bibletime version 2.9.1. It already worked great with the Wine programs, Bible Analyzer, e-Sword, and theWord, now it's more complete.

Get it here.
Download the needed clucene, sword and bibletime pets. Qt4-4.8.0 libs is also required....basic or essentials are ok.

Thank you pemasu for supporting Bibletime,
Jim
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(65.71 KiB) Downloaded 1323 times

Jim1911

#18 Post by Jim1911 »

Saluki is a woof-build based on Racy with Xfce. The suggested target hardware is computers less than 5 years old. It should run tolerably fast on older machines and netbooks and older machines, but Xfce does need a bit more cpu than the standard ROX/Jwm puppy. The principle developer, jemimah is developing an amazing puplet that continues to improve. It's fast and stable and now has support for Crosswire Bible Societie's Linux Bibletime program. All that's necessary to install it is to use the Puppy Package Manager. It also runs Wine and I've found that the Windows version of Bible Analyzer, e-Sword and theWord
work well on it.

Thank you jemimah for providing this.
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(44.82 KiB) Downloaded 1549 times

Jim1911

#19 Post by Jim1911 »

Playdayz has updated the latest Lucid 3.2.9, Three-Headed Dog Version 3 Updated ISO MAR 5, 2012 - Luci-001.003

3HD Version 3 Updated ISO -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci-001.003.iso
md5 checksum -> 96694af4d0fbf2afea9855e34009eb18

Updated programs in Luci-001.003 by members of the Puppy community: ffconvert 1.2 - shinobar, sfs-load 1.3 - shinobar, PupControl 1.8.9 - radky, Sylpheed 3.1.3 - playdayz, mtpaint 3.40 - don570, PupApps 1.6.2 - radky, PupSnap 1.6.3 - radky, pprocess 2.2.4 - zigbert, Pburn 3.5.0 - zigbert, firewallstate 2.1 - tasmod, grub4dos 1.7.2 - shinobar, isomaster 1.3.9 - BarryK, pbackup 3.1.9 - zigbert, pfilesearch 1.28 - zigbert, pfind 4.24 - zigbert, PupClockset 1.9 - radky, PupSysinfo 2.1.3 - radky, Bacon Recorder 2.6.1 - don570, Pmusic 2.4.4 - zigbert

Bibletime is still the reliable 2.7.2 version that can easily be loaded using Quickpet/SFS Get, Xiphos is version 3.1.3 and is installed with the Puppy Package Manager. It also runs the wonderful Windows programs that run under Wine, Bible Analysis, e-Sword, and theWord. green_dome's latest wine-1.4 works great for these.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(75.6 KiB) Downloaded 1397 times
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

Latest Wine Version

#20 Post by Jim1911 »

Because I frequently test various alpha and beta programs, my Wine installation sees a lot of changes including testing each update to Wine. As a result, I have found that some features of my favorite Windows programs, Bible Analyzer 4, e-Sword, and theWord, all of which have updates also do not work.

To correct this situation I started out with a new installation of Slacko and reinstalled Wine and my favorite programs. The results have been very pleasing, for example in e-Sword, the latest version which has a Download Module feature which did not work now works great (important because update links to download additional modules are no longer available), also theWord doesn't freeze up.

If you are having problems with your installed programs, this may correct your problem.
There have been many improvements in Wine and green_dome's latest wine-1.4 works great and may solve your problem. Note: eSwordinstallation is now much easier.

To save space in the save files and make Wine available to frugal installation of various pups, my Wine installation is moved to /mnt/home. This procedure is very simple and does not uninstall Wine.

1. Copy /root/.wine to /mnt/home/
2. Delete /root/.wine
3. Place a symlink in /root/ to /mnt/home/.wine

To make the installation available in another pup, Wine must be installed, then delete /root/.wine and make a symlink to /mnt/home/.wine. With a full installation, the symlink would be to /mnt/sxxx/.wine where the .wine file is located.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
Slacko Puppy 5.3.2.6p desktop
(71.13 KiB) Downloaded 1499 times