Puppy Studio

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Puppy Studio

#1 Post by Flash »

I'm starting this thread to replace the ones 10wt3ch trashed. At least Puppy Studio fans will have a place to vent. :lol:

yarddog

Re: Puppy Studio

#2 Post by yarddog »

Flash wrote:I'm starting this thread to replace the ones 10wt3ch trashed. At least Puppy Studio fans will have a place to vent. :lol:
found copy of puppy studio 3.1 at

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 8784.shtml

in case anyone is interested in it

yarddog

RetroTechGuy

Re: Puppy Studio

#3 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Flash wrote:I'm starting this thread to replace the ones 10wt3ch trashed. At least Puppy Studio fans will have a place to vent. :lol:
Allow me to vent first!... :shock: (oh dammit, now I'm second... :lol: )

The last that I was aware of: "PuppyStudio3.3-vanilla.iso":

http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/mike/ ... order=desc
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

f_u

#4 Post by f_u »

Last edited by f_u on Tue 08 Mar 2011, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

John7987

#5 Post by John7987 »

Last edited by John7987 on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#6 Post by playdayz »

I wish we could find some way to work this out. I know 10wt3ch worked his arse off building Puppy Studio and it is a fine piece of work. I know he expressed frustration more than he probably should have, but for sure we have other people on the forum who have done that much and worse. I don't know details, but how about just a week's banning and an apology. Something like that.

Dewbie

#7 Post by Dewbie »

l0wt3ch wrote:
(for deleting my own posts)
Obvious question: Why did you do that?

John7987

#8 Post by John7987 »

Last edited by John7987 on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

emil

#9 Post by emil »

I didn't watch this forum closely the last days, so I am very puzzled about reading this strange thread. I don't know what happened, and I think I don't want to know any details. But is there no way to mend the situation?

James C

#10 Post by James C »

John7987 wrote:What difference does it make?

If I want to delete my own posts, that's my right. Just like it's my right to take down my photos off of Facebook. Facebook can't say "Oh well you posted that at one point in time, we get to keep that forever now."

As the creator of PuppyStudio, I insist that no-one upload that iso. This forum - and Flash in particular - are unworthy of it.
Real simple.....grow up and maybe try some anger management.

You erase all your posts rendering the threads totally useless then complain when they're removed.Makes no sense.

maans

#11 Post by maans »

Hi
Please don't start again....
I don't think anyone, let alone l0wt3ch, can benefit from any discussion on these matters...
Its very sad when things like this happen, however I wrote this pm to
l0wt3ch
maans wrote:.....
I have spent many hours following this project, I wrote some posts (all positive as far as I remember, now they are all gone :( ) and I created two wikis (en and da) to help document the project and give newbies a place to start.
I spent some time announcing - in english and danish communities.
I've been a linux user for some years, however I have never seen a better candidate for mediawork than Puppy Studio -

Uptill now I've never met a programmer who didn't recognize the value of an active community - both for critique and positive feedback - the fact that you, and you alone decided to delete every post everyone has contributed to Puppy Studios threads is so heartbreaking, that I really don't know what to say exept for: that it really hurts - and you must have been really hurt to do so....

Please go on with your life - and get some love for your own creations. I sincerely hope that you'll reach a point where you feel that the feedback you get makes every hour of work worthwhile...

I'm sorry for your loss - more than any loss that the Puppy community might suffer, not having you as a contributor...

Have a nice day - get on with doing what ever makes you happier :!:
l0wt3ch did answer that he wasn't responsible for deleting the Puppy Studio 3.3 thread, however he did intend to delete his own posts -
==IMHO==
if this "triggers" "a full delete of the thread" - or if Flash is responsible, doesn't really matter -
It's *not* ideal to have only half of the material - missing everything from the original author...
f_u wrote:....l0wt3ch ... made Puppy Studio single-handedly. Anybody who is using it should be thankful for the time he spent making it, and if he wants to take it down off the Internet, that should be his decision.
Puppy Studio is a Puplet, based on Puppy Linux and assembled from software distributed by the Ubuntu repositories.
There is absolutely no doubt that l0wt3ch has done a GREAT job in making Puppy Studio work so well as it does - however nothing prevents anybody to fork Puppy Studio, just as l0wt3ch has forked Puppy Linux to make Puppy Studio...
----
I hope that Puppy Studio will survive this - and that it will become a known fact that it is a brilliant example of what can be achieved with open source code.
----
Please let's get on with our lives, and make the best software set the standard - not personal arguments.....

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

maans

#12 Post by maans »

maans wrote:....I hope that Puppy Studio will survive this - and that it will become a known fact that it is a brilliant example of what can be achieved with open source code.
There *was* a lot of gifted and enthusiastic people involved in/contributing to the Puppy Studio project...

IMHO: Puppy Studio was the best multimedia/music project since dyne:bolic, Studio2Go and JAD all have stopped their projects.
There's still Musix - however it's a bit too bloated for my taste - and it's NOT Puppy Linux :(
----
I sincerely hope that someone/everyone, with the needed programming skills and a soft spot for Puppy Linux, will continue the Puppy Studio project.
----
Cheers Måns Mårtensson

John7987

#13 Post by John7987 »

Last edited by John7987 on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 02:11, edited 2 times in total.

RetroTechGuy

#14 Post by RetroTechGuy »

John7987 wrote:This is l0wt3ch, behind seven proxies.

I'd appreciate it if nobody posted PuppyStudio3.3-rt.
Errr.. Very confusing thread.

From what I saw, I thought that Puppy Studio looked like a wonder distro! And I appreciate the work you put into it! :D
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

starhawk

#15 Post by starhawk »

There's a lot of anger to deal with here.

I hope it gets resolved constructively.

EDIT: l0wt3ch, although I cannot (obviously) speak for all of us, I for one would be interested in hearing what prompted you to leave. I would like to understand it better, and it may help all of us understand you better if you can explain it to us.
Last edited by starhawk on Fri 04 Mar 2011, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Caneri

#16 Post by Caneri »

Was this posted/uploaded as a GPL license?
If so, then the author can claim rights to have his/her name inside the software and not much more as far as I know. So upload away Puppians.
As the creator of PuppyStudio, I insist that no-one upload that iso.
Tall order there, as this was built of the shoulders of other open source contributors...or am I wrong.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

We may not understand l0wt3ch's reason(s) for leaving, but I'm sure that there was indeed something that caused him to do so. None of us are perfect, but all of us are human (at least, as far as we know).

Further, while he does not "own" all portions of the code used in his Puplet, it would be very hard to form a truly sound justification for posting what amounts to a heavily modified form of Barry Kauler's work. It would also be highly disrespectful, since l0wt3ch has made it clear with both words and actions that he does not want Puppy Studio to be distributed further. Besides, there is an alternative Puplet for those wishing to do similar things -- having never tried either Puppy Studio or Pupitup, I cannot vouch for either one, but Pupitup is still there.

While we /could/ post it and l0wt3ch probably would be unable to actually prevent us from doing so or force us to take it down... this to me is a moral/ethical issue. I don't think it would be The Right Thing to distribute it without his permission.

Besides, we owe him at least that much dignity and respect at this point, that we honor his (presumably) parting request to this community. Let's not post it, OK?

cthisbear

#18 Post by cthisbear »

Unfortunately more than anger management needed.

Medication needed.

"""""""""""

Wilfully taking away other peoples posts makes you a sorry arsed loser.
Think more like >> Count with a vowel missing.

Take some time out in the naughty corner or go and spend some time
in the country...get some peace and quiet.

""""""""

You need to read some of mu posts.
A brilliant programmer.
Who put out many releases and fixes here.

Check out Muppy...way ahead of its time.. 3 releases in one.

No outs and pouts....from mu.

As you are probably aware I am no wall flower.
I have had a go on various occasions.
Still Puppy usually gets better for it.
Developers need a push sometimes.

No one likes faults picked out.
One bloke I worked years ago with used to call me " Half a job"
I wanted to hit him over the head with a pot.
When he finally explained why...I still wasn't smiling.

But unfortunately it was spot on.

I had too many jobs going at once in the Out house...
Calamity Jane time.

Much as we think we are faultless...people see through it.
In your case....nobody was allowed to criticise you.

Recent circumstances haven't made it easy but here's a tip
for you.
Plus I just downloaded Puppy Studio matey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Chris.
Last edited by cthisbear on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#19 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

In fairness to Flash, I also suggested you, l0t3ch, change your original avatar which seemed to have an unpleasant subliminal message and was about the size of the picture below.

I, perhaps among others, asked that this thread be opened - to give information.

I now suggest all posts here be deleted and that a simple statement of fact be made without accusation and that this thread is then locked.
Attachments
(12.42 KiB) Downloaded 2270 times

Dewbie

#20 Post by Dewbie »

It's all about control.
If he answers why he deleted the posts, he's no longer in control.
Plus, he's trying to control who downloads Puppy Studio.
Kissing his ass won't make a difference.
Write him off.
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.