Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 22:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse Pup 5.03 203M Wine 1.3.14 (not being maintained)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 16 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 14:49    Post_subject:  Lighthouse Pup 5.03 203M Wine 1.3.14 (not being maintained)
Sub_title: Opera JWM IceWM GIMP | select SFS at boot: Xfce FF Java LO Mariner VirtualBox | Compiz KDE4

Lighthouse Pup 5.03 base ISO and 5.03 Mariner ISO

[Update 2012.1.23:] I apologize for any inconvenience, still not feeling well and very behind with PMs and forum etc... I hope to resume work on Lighthouse, but I really don't know if or when.

Updates
======
LHP_5.03G-update-1.pet and GKrellM-2.3.5-L1.pet

Highlights
=======
* Frisbee Network Manager with Frisbee tray icon, (thanks to Jemimah) Preliminary testing indicates this significant rewrite of Pwireless and updated dhcpcd/wpa_supplicant ensures persistence of wired, WEP and WPA wireless connections on reboot and graceful roaming of saved WiFi profiles. Frisbee tray icon is updated to show the current WiFi SSID and signal quality on the tooltip.

* PupControl, a full-featured control panel ideal for Puppy-based derivatives like Lighthouse.

* SFS copy2ram at first or any boot, with a brief prompt for full selection and configuration early in the boot process, prior to mounting the layered file system.

* If sufficient free RAM is detected, all core files and SFS add-ons can be copied to RAM. This means the Mariner ISO is now a true LiveCD with the add-ons Xfce, Mariner & LibreOffice SFS running in RAM at first boot.

Release notes are at http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm

Download Lighthouse Pup 5.03 G

Graphics configuration
=================
KMS*: automatic i915.modeset=1 for Intel graphics. video=800x600 when booting from CD. If CL (text mode) fonts are very small or just have blank screen, type lhp video=640x480 at the boot menu.

*** If using GRUB bootloader ***

If boot and command line fonts are very small, add video=800x600 or video=640x480 to the kernel line in your menu.lst. May also need to remove pfix=fbcon. Sample menu.lst entry

If LHP boots to a blank screen when booting from a GRUB bootloader, please add xforcevesa nomodeset to the kernel line in your menu.lst.
(Booting from the CD does this by default, and using grubconfig in LHP to install GRUB also does.)

* How to configure KMS - Kernel ModeSetting

Bugs
====
Confirmed: CUPS web interface may not open unless answer 'Yes' to add new printer
Confirmed: BootManager | Choose SFS works, but the new SFS Boot Settings dialog does not
These are fixed by installing LHP_5.03G-update-1.pet

Bugfixed initrd.gz for encrypted save files

Upgrades only:
Confirmed: Upgrading may disable Mariner SFS
Confirmed: Default browser preference is overwritten
Reported: Firefox needed to be re-installed

-TazOC

Edited_times_total
Q5sys

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 19:23    Post_subject:  

Woot! 1st reply.

(sorry I had to, tee hee)

Great work. Look foward to seeing whats new with this one. I'm assuming we're using the same kernel version?
I'll do some testing this week/weekend when Im able and report any bugs I find.

Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 20:15    Post_subject:  

This is a fine release, however, I have had a problem with upgrading, a 502 save file using the KDE Desktop. On initial startup, the upgrade appeared to be fine, after upgrade, it booted to the KDE Desktop, however, logout was automatically started, without the Cancel button. I selected exit to prompt and then xwin. It booted into KDE again with logon, so I rebooted. Upon reboot, it repeated the update and booted into KDE again with logout. I chose JWM and it booted properly into JWM. Choosing the KDE desktop has same result as before. It refuses to run KDE, always showing logout without the Cancel button. I didn't know it was available without the Cancel feature.

Also, I was forced to install a browser, very unusual behavior for an upgrade.

This post is using JWM. I'll try another save file and a clean install and report back.

Cheers,
Jim
Q5sys

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 20:47    Post_subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
This is a fine release, however, I have had a problem with upgrading, a 502 save file using the KDE Desktop. On initial startup, the upgrade appeared to be fine, after upgrade, it booted to the KDE Desktop, however, logout was automatically started, without the Cancel button. I selected exit to prompt and then xwin. It booted into KDE again with logon, so I rebooted. Upon reboot, it repeated the update and booted into KDE again with logout. I chose JWM and it booted properly into JWM. Choosing the KDE desktop has same result as before. It refuses to run KDE, always showing logout without the Cancel button. I didn't know it was available without the Cancel feature.

This post is using JWM. I'll try another save file and a clean install and report back.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim, try booting clean and making a new save file (size is unimportant) and then loading KDE. That might give us an idea if there is a bug in 503 and the KDE sfs... or if its some glitch being created during the update process. If KDE loads fine on a new save file... then we know the update mech is wonky for this release, or something is incompatible with the way KDE worked with 502. I dont have time to test it tonight or I'd try it out myself.
The fact that you had to install a browser makes me think the error is in the update mech. Did you notice any other programs you installed previously missing or not working properly?

tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 21:32    Post_subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
Upon reboot, it repeated the update and booted into KDE again with logout. I chose JWM and it booted properly into JWM. Choosing the KDE desktop has same result as before. It refuses to run KDE, always showing logout without the Cancel button. I didn't know it was available without the Cancel feature.
Thank you for the feedback. So you were prompted to upgrade to 503 twice? Strange. I haven't seen that or the KDE behavior either! I don't know why KDE would present a log out without a cancel. Confused Were there the WM selections, or just log out? I suppose if I saw that I would switch to JWM as you did and then delete /var/tmp/kdecache-root and only the first 3 symlinks (the arrow icons in ROX) in /root/.kde. If that didn't help, in a frugal install, then again from JWM, remove the directory /initrd/pup_rw/root/.kde and retry. That will erase your KDE settings, but is easier than starting over with a new save file.
Quote:
You mean install or choose? It shouldn't have forced you to install anything! Maybe the upgrade 'updated' /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser which by default presents a Choose Web Browser dialog, (with a cancel button) when clicking on the browse or help menu icon. Was your previously installed browser one of the choices? I will see if the upgrade scripts overwrite the prior defaultbrowser setting and correct that. In any case, once you've selected a preferred browser, it should start and not prompt again, unless Choose Default Browser is launched from the Setup or Settings menu.
-TazOC

Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 22:46    Post_subject:  

I did mean install, although I could have selected Opera, I prefer Firefox which was installed in the save file being updated. Incidentally, update showed Firefox as being installed, but I had to reinstall it. I did not check out any of the other programs that were shown installed.

During initial boot, KDE, Bibletime, Voyager, and Google Earth were loaded. Missing was Mariner, maybe that is the reason for the weird behavior.

Another try with a backup of the 502 save file produced the same results, except for having to update a second time. That is probably due to me booting into JWM this time. Before, I never really got booted into a desktop. I used a camera to take the picture of the logout screen which doesn't have a Cancel button.

A fresh save file worked fine without any problems. Very Happy The problem is in the update and as stated, it's probably the missing Mariner sfs. Sad

Edit: After a reboot and a proper Mariner selected, there is still a problem when switching to KDE, that logout screen still shows up. Well at least the new save file is working properly.

Cheers,
Jim
IMAG0030.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   105.53 KB
 Viewed   15372 Time(s)

IMAG0030.jpg

browser.png
 Description   
 Filesize   19.77 KB
 Viewed   14576 Time(s)

browser.png

tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 23:28    Post_subject:  

I see Jim, the screen shots are helpful. That particular log out panel doesn't have a cancel button because KDE has already stopped, (or failed to start) when it appears, so canceling would have to either exit to console or restart X.

I will try to reproduce tomorrow, installing Firefox, Mariner & KDE in 502, then upgrading. Thought I did that--but maybe it was without KDE, which depends on the Mariner SFS so, yes, that is likely the reason that KDE wouldn't start. I'll review the boot process to confirm that the 502 Mariner is not loaded prior to or during the upgrade and hopefully design a fix. I'm glad the other WMs still work without Mariner!

-TazOC

Jim1911

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 00:11    Post_subject:  

Hi tazoc,

I don't believe that Mariner is the problem since I got the same problem with the proper Mariner selected.

Another matter, not a bug, but I have a problem with the Bootmanager's sfs selection being disabled. It is a real bother to have to go through a long list of sfs files, to add or subtract a sfs. The previous way to use either Bootmanager or the option to select at boot to change sfs files was much better. Maybe I've just got the wrong option selected.

My fresh save file is still working great. Very Happy

Thanks,
Jim
bootmanager.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  bootmanager.png 
Filesize  1.29 MB 
Downloaded  906 Time(s) 
Krille

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 01:18    Post_subject:  Weather codes for Berlin in conky ??  

Hi,

i am new to Lighthouse and i like it very much, nice work guys Smile
I need your help please.... Embarassed

How can i change the weather datas in the puppywidget to Berlin/Germany ?? I think i am somehow to supid....
The code used to be GMX0007 but when i enter this code the weather applet doesn`t recieve ana datas from the Accuweather Server....

How and where can i change that ?

Thanks in advance and regards from Germany
tazoc

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 01:35    Post_subject:  

Jim1911 wrote:
Another matter, not a bug, but I have a problem with the Bootmanager's sfs selection being disabled. It is a real bother to have to go through a long list of sfs files, to add or subtract a sfs. The previous way to use either Bootmanager or the option to select at boot to change sfs files was much better. Maybe I've just got the wrong option selected.

My fresh save file is still working great. Very Happy

Thanks,
Jim
I think you've found a bug with that dialog. It doesn't seem to apply the changes. I'll sort it out.

As a workaround you can open /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG with a text editor and edit these three lines like this:
Code:
SFSAUTO=''
SFSCFG=''
NOSFS=''
It should also have 4 others, with your selected SFS files in
Code:
EXTRASFSLIST='4-KDE-4.4.4-G.sfs 5-Mariner-5G_503.sfs ...'
My entire BOOTCONFIG is attached for comparison.

Also make sure your GRUB kernel line does not have pfix=sfscfg

Then it will only prompt for 5 sec at boot and then continue. (To skip the prompt altogether use
Code:
SFSAUTO='yes'
in BOOTCONFIG or pfix=sfsauto in GRUB.)
Thanks,
TazOC
BOOTCONFIG.zip
Description  sample /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG
zip

Download 
Filename  BOOTCONFIG.zip 
Filesize  554 Bytes 
Downloaded  953 Time(s) 

tazoc

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 01:55    Post_subject: Re: Weather codes for Berlin in conky ??  

Krille wrote:
Hi,

How can i change the weather datas in the puppywidget to Berlin/Germany ??
Thank you and welcome Krille!

Copy and paste this:
Code:
EUR|DE|GM003|BERLIN
I found it by clicking on the 'www' button in Pwidgets, entering
Code:
Berlin, Germany
in the location box of the Accuweather page that opened and clicking 'set'. (First time I tried without the ',' and that didn't work.) Then the code is at the very end (locCode=) in the URL box just below.

-TazOC

Krille

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 02:27    Post_subject: Re: Weather codes for Berlin in conky ??  

tazoc wrote:
Krille wrote:
Hi,

How can i change the weather datas in the puppywidget to Berlin/Germany ??
Thank you and welcome Krille!

Copy and paste this:
Code:
EUR|DE|GM003|BERLIN
I found it by clicking on the 'www' button in Pwidgets, entering
Code:
Berlin, Germany
in the location box of the Accuweather page that opened and clicking 'set'. (First time I tried without the ',' and that didn't work.) Then the code is at the very end (locCode=) in the URL box just below.

-TazOC

Thanks for your help TazOC,

so i have to enter the code into the window that appears and everything should work ? Sounds good, i will try that when i`m back home later.
I installed the 5.02 but as i noticed this morning you already made a newer one so i will first install the 5.03 and do it then. ( sorry for my bad english...)

Thanks again Smile
tazoc

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 02:49    Post_subject:  

Yes, paste the code into the Pwidgets weather plugin dialog, hit Apply, then Apply again in the Pwidgets main window.
Screen shots and more info here: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/weather
-TazOC

Krille

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 03:12    Post_subject:  

Cool, thanks a lot, that´s a description for Dummies...( like me...Wink

And thanks again for your help, i really appreciate how you handle questions that are probably stupid for you... Embarassed
Thanks for your patience
Q5sys

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 18:57    Post_subject:  

Krille wrote:
Cool, thanks a lot, that´s a description for Dummies...( like me...Wink

And thanks again for your help, i really appreciate how you handle questions that are probably stupid for you... Embarassed
Thanks for your patience

Hey man, never worry about asking questions like that. Believe it or not... everyone here at one point didnt know much either. Yea we may not like to admit to it. haha But once upon a time everyone on this forum asked what some would call 'dumb' questions.
Feel free to ask. After all thats how we all learn. Welcome to the forums, welcome to puppy, and specifically welcome to LightHouse Pup. Smile

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 16 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum