Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 06:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Graphics
Any programs for metadata and photo tagging?
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
cowboy

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 13:19    Post_subject:  Any programs for metadata and photo tagging?  

Hi. I'm kind of a freak about metadata and preserving original photos in an untouched and unrevised condition. Offhand, does anyone have any experience with the programs available to Puppy 4, Spup, or 5+ for photo organizing and tagging?. I'd like something that can write and read both IPTC and XMP while performing completely non-destructive edits. Yes, I could read through the various websites, but I'm going to be lazy and throw it out there to "the pound." I'm aware of XNview, and have used it some in windows, but the tagging procedure leaves something to be desired.
pemasu

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 17:10    Post_subject:  

Because you mentioned Xnview....
I made sfs of latest MP version. It has XnConvert included.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Sfs/xnviewmp-xncorverter-0.35-0.98.sfs

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21616&sid=97a8b31c0655a33cd8f6c8fc6e77f781
disciple

PostPosted: Sat 26 Feb 2011, 19:25    Post_subject:  

By non-destructive edits do you mean you want a program that stores the original file and a series of editing steps that are applied on the fly?
Or do you mean non-destructive jpeg cropping and rotation (and maybe red-eye removal which isn't truly non-destructive, but does only change the part of the image where the eyes are)?

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb 2011, 05:29    Post_subject:  

Darktable might be what you need.
Stu90 posted 0.6 version for lucid puppy made by pdebthing.
Stable version is now 0.8.
http://darktable.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
cowboy

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb 2011, 23:53    Post_subject:  

disciple wrote:
By non-destructive edits do you mean you want a program that stores the original file and a series of editing steps that are applied on the fly?
Or do you mean non-destructive jpeg cropping and rotation (and maybe red-eye removal which isn't truly non-destructive, but does only change the part of the image where the eyes are)?

First, thank you pemasu for the XNview link, I'll check it out. I've always found Xnview a great browser, and very useful for things like bulk file renaming. As mentioned, I've always found the tagging interface a bit chunky, though I believe the program now supports XMP as well as IPTC.

Disciple - good questions, but for me, non destructive edits need to be applied at all times, which is why, as you mention, programs like Picasa and Photoshop always move the original, unedited image to another location. I'd really prefer that, and I realize its a bit of a safety blanket that one gets only with the "heavier" image programs. The odd thing is, as you may know, is that many "tagging" programs (including both Picasa and WL Photo Gallery) even slightly modify the headers of originals when simply applying captions. I don't mind that, but it can cause problems with things like Makernotes, and I'd prefer to stick with a program like IDimager (windows only), that follows the specific guidelines laid down by the standards organizations behind XMP and IPTC. Of course, metadata standards seem up in the air at the moment, and it's hard to find programs that are truly, well, on the standards program. Short answer - non destructive good, and I'll take as much of it in one program as I can get. If I need a separate program to rotate losslessly or tag, I can deal with it.

Thank you both for the help.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Graphics
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum