Any programs for metadata and photo tagging?

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
cowboy

Any programs for metadata and photo tagging?

#1 Post by cowboy »

Hi. I'm kind of a freak about metadata and preserving original photos in an untouched and unrevised condition. Offhand, does anyone have any experience with the programs available to Puppy 4, Spup, or 5+ for photo organizing and tagging?. I'd like something that can write and read both IPTC and XMP while performing completely non-destructive edits. Yes, I could read through the various websites, but I'm going to be lazy and throw it out there to "the pound." I'm aware of XNview, and have used it some in windows, but the tagging procedure leaves something to be desired.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

pemasu

#2 Post by pemasu »

Because you mentioned Xnview....
I made sfs of latest MP version. It has XnConvert included.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Sfs/xnvi ... 5-0.98.sfs

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... fc6e77f781

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

By non-destructive edits do you mean you want a program that stores the original file and a series of editing steps that are applied on the fly?
Or do you mean non-destructive jpeg cropping and rotation (and maybe red-eye removal which isn't truly non-destructive, but does only change the part of the image where the eyes are)?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

Darktable might be what you need.
Stu90 posted 0.6 version for lucid puppy made by pdebthing.
Stable version is now 0.8.
http://darktable.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

cowboy

#5 Post by cowboy »

disciple wrote:By non-destructive edits do you mean you want a program that stores the original file and a series of editing steps that are applied on the fly?
Or do you mean non-destructive jpeg cropping and rotation (and maybe red-eye removal which isn't truly non-destructive, but does only change the part of the image where the eyes are)?
First, thank you pemasu for the XNview link, I'll check it out. I've always found Xnview a great browser, and very useful for things like bulk file renaming. As mentioned, I've always found the tagging interface a bit chunky, though I believe the program now supports XMP as well as IPTC.

Disciple - good questions, but for me, non destructive edits need to be applied at all times, which is why, as you mention, programs like Picasa and Photoshop always move the original, unedited image to another location. I'd really prefer that, and I realize its a bit of a safety blanket that one gets only with the "heavier" image programs. The odd thing is, as you may know, is that many "tagging" programs (including both Picasa and WL Photo Gallery) even slightly modify the headers of originals when simply applying captions. I don't mind that, but it can cause problems with things like Makernotes, and I'd prefer to stick with a program like IDimager (windows only), that follows the specific guidelines laid down by the standards organizations behind XMP and IPTC. Of course, metadata standards seem up in the air at the moment, and it's hard to find programs that are truly, well, on the standards program. Short answer - non destructive good, and I'll take as much of it in one program as I can get. If I need a separate program to rotate losslessly or tag, I can deal with it.

Thank you both for the help.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.