loaded sfs causes kernel panic on ext2

Please post any bugs you have found
ariszlo

loaded sfs causes kernel panic on ext2

#1 Post by ariszlo »

1. Installed Puppy 5.2 with Puppy Universal Installer onto the 2nd partition of a usb key. The partition is formatted to ext2.
2. Copied java_jre-6u22-Lucid-sfs4.sfs and LibreOfc3-en-us_3.3.0.4_final_sfs4.sfs onto the partition.
3. Booted my netbook from the usb key.
4. Shutting down the computer, I saved session directly to the ext2-formatted partition of the pendrive selecting the
< SAVE TO sdc2 > option.
4. Booted the netbook from the usb key again.
5. Boot Manager: SFS Files popped up and I added java_jre-6u22-Lucid-sfs4.sfs and LibreOfc3-en-us_3.3.0.4_final_sfs4.sfs.
6. Rebooted the computer and received the following error messages:

Setting up the layered filesystem... failed
mount: mounting unionfs on /pup_new failed
Pausing for 60 seconds...
Performing a 'switch root' to the layered filesystem...Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

No problem if session is saved to lupusave.2fs.

Sit Heel Speak

Suggestion for improvement in save-to-partition instrucs?

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but, it is my understanding that, when you save to a partition, it is intended that the partition you save to be a partition other than the one on which the Puppy frugal install resides (i.e. other than the one on which vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pupnnn.sfs reside).

I'm going on memory here, as I have never saved to a partition, I have only ever used full installs and frugal installs with a pupsave.(n)fs.

ariszlo

Re: Suggestion for improvement in save-to-partition instrucs?

#3 Post by ariszlo »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:it is my understanding that, when you save to a partition, it is intended that the partition you save to be a partition other than the one on which the Puppy frugal install resides (i.e. other than the one on which vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pupnnn.sfs reside).
No. You can only save session to the Puppy partition. These are the options at shut down:

Code: Select all

< SAVE TO A FILE >     < SAVE TO sdc2 >     < DO NOT SAVE >
If you choose save to a file then the session will be saved into lupusave.2fs, which can be saved to any partition.

With Puppy installed onto ext2-formatted /dev/sdc2, the session can be saved directly to /dev/sdc2, too. As you can see, Puppy only offers to "save to sdc2", no other partition.

So, lupusave.2fs can go anywhere but saving the session directly to a partition can only go to the partition where you have vmlinuz, initrd.gz and lupu_520.sfs.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

What size is the USB flash drive?
How much ram does this computer have?
Those are some big SFS files you are asking to load at boot. May not have enough ram. They expand when loaded.
Puppy 5.2's SFS file will use around 250MB.
LibreOfc3 is probably around 300MB.
Loading issue being talked about here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64911

ariszlo

#5 Post by ariszlo »

bigpup wrote:What size is the USB flash drive?
2 GB, paritioned into two partitions. The first partition is 903 MB, formatted to FAT32 to store data. The second partion is 1 GB, formatted to ext2 with Puppy installed on it.
bigpup wrote:How much ram does this computer have?
1 GB. It is an Eee PC 900.
bigpup wrote:Loading issue being talked about here:
Thanks. I will read it.

ariszlo

#6 Post by ariszlo »

bigpup wrote:Loading issue being talked about here:
I have read it and it says nothing about performing a switch root to the layered filesystem.

Note that kernel panic only occurs if session is saved directly to an ext2 partition AND Puppy tries to load additional sfs files.

If session is saved to a file (lupusave.2fs) rather than directly to a partition then Puppy boots and loads the additional sfs files without errors. So I do not think this is related to the amount of RAM.