Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
marco07

#141 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:marco07. That videowizard is quite obsolete in Snow Puppy. It is for Barrys builds and for his video driver packages. I thought I had removed it, but my script which do the last cleaning has not been used.
I am glad you are going to fix this.
The wallpapers are also wrong for my setup.
No. Your wall paper was Ok. This is part of my set up.
Xorg_high is installed as default in Snow Puppy.
Did you run xorgwizard in console state ? And then back to X with xwin ?
Yes I did 3 times. But still sticks to that intel video driver and would not allow sinaptics driver to be picked up.
Anyway playdayz posted today specs for his lucid 5.2. I am gonna change xorg, xorg_server and synclient/flsynclient to that version. The synaptics driver not loaded should be fixed by that update. And also I am going through the other fixes. Most applications are already newer than in Lucid 5.2.
This sounds great!
Oh well. And I thought this build will be good. But number 10 is good number also. Let`s keep this version as bug hunting version then :)
Hey, we are all human and subject to making mistake!

Thank you!

James C

#142 Post by James C »

Since 007 is working so well on my main box I did a quick manual frugal install of 009 on my old P4 test box. Everything working on initial boot ..... internet,sound and display.
No problems with cpu usage here,see screenshot w/ Firefox open here on the forum.
Attachments
009.png
(157.91 KiB) Downloaded 1327 times

James C

#143 Post by James C »

Still running the default setup....

VIDEO REPORT: Snow Puppy, version 009

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

# glxgears

1810 frames in 5.0 seconds
1776 frames in 5.0 seconds
1812 frames in 5.0 seconds
1807 frames in 5.0 seconds
1812 frames in 5.0 seconds
1810 frames in 5.0 seconds
1797 frames in 5.0 seconds
1823 frames in 5.0 seconds

Looks good so far, at least on this box. Haven't changed or added anything yet, now for some tweaking and testing. :)

Terry H

#144 Post by Terry H »

Hi pemasu,

Just posting to let you know snowpuppy_009 is running really well on my Dell D620 laptop Core Duo 2.16 GHz 2GB RAM. I did a manual frugal install and every thing is running great.

My wireless is auto connecting on bootup, I use bcm43 driver. This has been a problem recently with lupu520 puppy and some other puplets requiring manual reconnection.

Thanks for some really good puplets.

pemasu

#145 Post by pemasu »

Terry H. Thank you of your report. I have been in the ankle artroscopy and in the hospital. Back now. I am starting to play with playdayz specs for lucid 5.2. I am going to start with fresh woof folder. Barry also announced today new woof version which i downloaded. It will be awhile before the testing and tweaking is done. I can tell that synclient update works. Xorg and xserver_xorg is basically same in Lucid 5.2 than in Snow Puppy. But all the updated scripts for Lucid 5.2 takes time to see what to include in Snow Puppy. I will probably upload first the test build when basic things are alright. I also include Barrys latest 3g modem script updates and check the latest versions of apps included in Snow Puppy.

If there is some behavior in Lucid 5.2 which is preferable, I will see if I would like to include it.

marco07

#146 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Terry H. Thank you of your report. I have been in the ankle artroscopy and in the hospital. Back now. I am starting to play with playdayz specs for lucid 5.2. I am going to start with fresh woof folder. Barry also announced today new woof version which i downloaded. It will be awhile before the testing and tweaking is done. I can tell that synclient update works. Xorg and xserver_xorg is basically same in Lucid 5.2 than in Snow Puppy. But all the updated scripts for Lucid 5.2 takes time to see what to include in Snow Puppy. I will probably upload first the test build when basic things are alright. I also include Barrys latest 3g modem script updates and check the latest versions of apps included in Snow Puppy.

If there is some behavior in Lucid 5.2 which is preferable, I will see if I would like to include it.
Looking forward to test Snowpuppy 010.

pemasu

#147 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-010 has been released. This version implements first update from Lucid 5.2. Synaptic touchpad informs the need of restart X. Samba client bug is hunted down to the roots and fixed so pnethood works. Previous bugs that were in 009 has been fixed.
Pidgin, Pschedule has been updated to the latest releases.
This version has all the kernel modules. Conexant, Intel and Agere,Smartlink, Pctel, Lucent big modem drivers, SCSI and all the exotic modules.
Hence the bigger iso size 232 Mb.

Download links and md5sums: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-010

nooby

#148 Post by nooby »

Do you have the RFKILL and the threaded something that makes it boot reliably on Netbooks? Because lupu520 only boots if I do nosmp.

while Snowpup boots all the time.

Your Snow Puppy 10 just works. Have not tested much but I upgraded and everything look the same to me. :)

I had set viewnior as the picture viewer which I prefer over Geeqie which is set up in a way that I fail to get in the preferences but viewnior did not open when one click on the jpg pic or png pic. Ha ha there is none there is it? So I changed to Geeqie instead and then it worked but same goofy behavior that it suddenly have a big close up when I want it to be as what Viewnior had as standard set up. Picures remain within the boundaries of the screen and not get bigger than the screen suddenly.

I guess I have to learn how to set the preferences right.

Thanks indeed for all your efforts.

I guess now when snow are based on Lupu 2.5 then I can use LMMS from the lupu PPM and it will just work?

Good night
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#149 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. It seems that Viewnior is just missing. I updated it to the 1.1 version, but ./2createpackages didnt catch it. Added now to the woof correctly for next release. Fine report nooby.

Just install Viewnior from here.

About Lmms. I know nothing about it, but it installs, there isnt any reported missing dependencies and it starts ok. After that someone who knows more about it cant do their tests.
Attachments
viewnior-1.1.pet
(57.61 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
viewnior_NLS-1.1.pet
(45.4 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
viewnior_DOC-1.1.pet
(758 Bytes) Downloaded 333 times

James C

#150 Post by James C »

Did a manual frugal install of Snow Puppy 010 on the old P4 test box.Everything working fine on initial boot except the sound was muted.....got it working quickly with Retrovol.
Looking good so far..... :)

James C

#151 Post by James C »

Regret to report that I'm losing the sound every time I reboot. Used Retrovol......muted on reboot. Used Alsa Wizard....muted on reboot.Do nothing...stays muted. :)

Multimedia audio controller : Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

Also experiencing the same problem with the new Luci-250 as well.

jim3630

#152 Post by jim3630 »

Hey pemasu, your working overtime now finished v10. Unfortunately, I now have a new bug with v10. On the live cd no problem with my monitor but after install to HD xorgwizard blows up my screen using xorg, xversa, the intel driver all of which is new problem not occurring since I started with version 6 on my Dell D610. Have noted there is a couple of other pups on here that do the same. Will try at boot nox forceversa. Any suggestions? thanks jim

pemasu

#153 Post by pemasu »

James C. Thank you. The reason found and fixed. Next Snow Puppy will have audio persistence back. Meanwhile you should get audio working by installing the pet below and rebooting.

jim3630. Thank you of your report. The updating of xorg_base and xorgserver_xorg seems to be tricky. I will continue experimenting.
Attachments
alsafix-001.pet
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 592 times

pemasu

#154 Post by pemasu »

I made bugfix release of Snow Puppy-011. Alsa is now persistent in my machine. At first bootup sound is muted, but I think it never has been audible. I dont bother to bug hunt it. About X server problems. I havent had them during Snow Puppy release cycle. I made xserver_xorg slightly differently in this build. It works fine for me. Viewnior is added back.

jim3630. I hope this version works for you. I was thinking, that are you sure your older savefile isnt loaded when you test with new version ? You should try at first with fresh install before testing older savefile.

I will start my ski vacation after two days on 25.2. I am in Lapland middle of nowhere. My mother has laptop with 3g modem, so it is possible that I can read murga-linux forum there. But I wont release new Snow Puppy at least in couple of weeks.

I hope this version satisfies people`s needs. Most applications should be newest you can find from additional software section, or from woof repositories. If you find older version in Snow Puppy, please report. I will update it to the woof.
Remember to activate from Menu the Cpu frequency scaling before reporting excessive cpu usage. The old governor is removed from /etc/rc.d. After first cpu frequency scaling loading, it should be remembered and activated at next bootups.

Download links and md5sums
:http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-011

Oh, I made also sfs of latest Xnview and XnCoverter. As combined they are much smaller because they use same Qt4 libraries. I know, the sfs is still big in Puppy standards 25 Mb. But I really do like Xnview, it can rotate pics from the folder in the viewer automatically using Exif information.

Download link:http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Sfs/xnvi ... 5-0.98.sfs
Last edited by pemasu on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#155 Post by pemasu »

Sorry. Snow Puppy-011 upload was corrupt. I deleted the iso and try again.

marco07

#156 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Sorry. Snow Puppy-011 upload was corrupt. I deleted the iso and try again.
Does this mean it is OK to download it now?

nooby

#157 Post by nooby »

Yes me too early for 11 too :) Sorry I refer to 10 and not 11. Is 11 uploaded now?

Pemasu do you remember the fix they made for Zigberts PWidgets.

When I try to use widgets like showing cpu usage or what process are going and temperature and world time and some others then they fail to show up.

Version of puppy work and Calendar and analog clock work but many of the others fail in Snow puppy. And it has been like that since snow 5 so it something general and not exclusive for Snow.

Do you remember what name of the pet that fixed it?

I use your snow 11 now as far as I know. Or at least the snow 10 :)
Last edited by nooby on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#158 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just tried Snow Puppy 010 (I was too early for 011 apparently) and it looks good and works well.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

pemasu

#159 Post by pemasu »

SnowPuppy-011 is uploading again now. Ftpsite has been really slow today. I upload it first. Then I download and check the md5sum and if it is okay, I post the success.

Nooby. I installed the latest Pwidgets 2.3.4 yesterday to Snow Puppy. It worked fine for weather, clock, calendar and cpu_graph. Cpu showed the usage after small latence, it didnt start to show immediately. I have used Pwidgets from the beginning and I like it a lot. My main eye candy beside the wallpaper in the desktop. Well, the ones I use, works anyway.

By the way. When I had to upload Snow Puppy-011 again. I noticed that SFS-Load on the Fly app was updated to the 0.9 version. I quickly uploaded it to the woof and made Snow Puppy-011 with it. It loads fine on the fly the sfs applications. I have used devx and kernel source sfs loaded on the fly when I have compilded kernel driver modules. You can test Xnview with it :)
Last edited by pemasu on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#160 Post by pemasu »

SnowPuppy-011 uploaded and downloaded succesfully now.