Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#101 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-008 is uploaded. Some bugfixes and several additions.
3 wifi drivers and ndiswrapper is added. Also the old classic internet Wizard for ndiswrapper usage. Remasterpup2 by shinobar replaces the previous version. Snapmergepuppy is updated to the new experimental version for faster shutdown. You2pup is added. Xournal missing libs is fixed. VLC is reverted back to the better codecs support 1.0.6 version. Missing libs for it is fixed. Menu categorization is rearranged for some apps.
FoxitReader is removed.

Download links and md5sums: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-008/

bwh1969

ati proprietary

#102 Post by bwh1969 »

Latest ati radeon source from ati compiles and installs fine in snow puppy. I have a Radeon Mobility 3200 graphics card. The open source radeon looks good enough but the proprietary driver has the PowerPlay feature that can regulate the clock of the card when on battery.

You need to have the source sfs and the devx.sfs loaded but it built in under a minute on my machine and created the infamously fickle to create fglrx.ko module.

There are bits and pieces that install all over so just attaching the .ko file won't help anyone. There are executables that need to run to create the first /etc/X11/xrog.conf.

Just wanted to report that it builds.

nooby

#103 Post by nooby »

Number 8 works good on my Acer D250. I have it first on the menu.lst so it always boot.

But the upgrade I did using the old Snow puppy 5 sfs save file did not include the Adobe Flash player.

Which such pet do you prefer to work together with Snow 8?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jim3630

#104 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:jim3630. Thank you of additional information. In SNS you should also see what driver is used for wifi. Eth0 seems to use r8169 driver.
Sorry not clear that was from SNS. It is a mystery to me. I just plug them in and hope they work. Exchanging drivers is easy with the apt you have installed. I have tried loading drivers onto the kernel before but it wasn't a pretty sight. Here's hoping 008 is gtg.jim

jim3630

#105 Post by jim3630 »

008 did it! Found wlan0 eth0 and Frisbee connected straight away. Thanks again jim

pemasu

#106 Post by pemasu »

jim3630. Thats great. It wasnt useless to make new update then.

nooby. Here is downloadflash pet. Install it. Then in console: #dldflash
It should launch the flashplayer downloader.
Attachments
downloadflash-001.pet
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 19 Feb 2011, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#107 Post by nooby »

Thanks, wow they must have fast servers there at Adobe it installed in a few seconds.

Edit Ooops did not mean to criticize your priorities. I only tried to get what I am using daily now for months. Thanks indeed for providing it.

I am surprised that the upgrade from 05 to 08 was so small that it did not have to do anything noticeable at boot time. Usually on lupu the OS loads and loads the changes and that take a long time. I have to read on your first page what it is I am using. You have combined from the best of all distros you have tried out?

You have the needed code from Jemimah to give it RFKILL and the threaded something and so on? Quote from first page
SnowPuppy-007 7.2.2011 is the 7. version, woof builded Lucid 511 using 29.12.2010 uploaded woof so it has updated packages from woof on that date. Woof builds Lucid 512 but I have added many apps also and updated kernel to 2.6.35.7

The latest development is documented here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 690#496690

I used Playdayz Lucid Puppy 511 specs and templates and added updated packages from Lucid 5.2 development thread, selfcompiled apps and apps from forum. Many apps are updated and a lot of apps are added.
Last edited by nooby on Sat 19 Feb 2011, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#108 Post by pemasu »

nooby. I know. I should update the first page. There has been 4 updates since profound information update in first page.
I will do it in about 2 days.

marco07

#109 Post by marco07 »

Down loaded snow puppy 008 and installed (frugal) onto my Thinkpad laptop R60. Everthing is working fine. Even suspend to and resume from ram. So far, so goog :D . Again a very nice job!
My only question at this time.
How can I reduce the font size in menus only? I mean not global but only in menus.
Thanks again!

pemasu

#110 Post by pemasu »

marco07. /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme. Play with it. For menu font size change value under: <!-- MENU PROPERTIES --> and there: <Font>DejaVu Sans-10</Font> for example. You can change the font and size here.

To change the height of the menu boxes: /root/.jwmrc and there change the height: <RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="20" onroot="3">

marco07

#111 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:marco07. /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme. Play with it. For menu font size change value under: <!-- MENU PROPERTIES --> and there: <Font>DejaVu Sans-10</Font> for example. You can change the font and size here.

To change the height of the menu boxes: /root/.jwmrc and there change the height: <RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="20" onroot="3">
Will try!
Thanks!

marco07

#112 Post by marco07 »

Couple of issues:
-My sound system, although working, has a very low volume despite all the sliders are at 100%. Also, it has a delay in response, e.g. when you dump a file in recycle bin on desktop it takes a few seconds or more to hear the woof. Also mixer's config window>Try>tryslider, nothing sticks but the master. I have distros on the other partitios which use the same card and have much louder volume.
-pnethood not finding the shares, although it sees the host. while run in terminal it says smbclient not found. smbclient seems to be installed though.
-Pupcontrol panel>hardware>touchpad, is not working says no synaptics driver loaded. I could not find synaptics driver in the PPM.
need help!
Will keep on testing.
Thanks!

pemasu

#113 Post by pemasu »

Marco07.
Pnethood. You are right. The sambaclient pet I used in woof dont work as it should. Try installing the sambaclient pet below and report.

About flsynclient. It is a bug in the lucid 511 specs. There is a cure, I am sure of it. But meanwhile you should do as I instructed on the first page. Go to the console state. Run xorgwizard and go through it. It will generate needed xorg.conf file. Then back to X by typing xwin. Now the flsynclient should work.

About audio. Sorry, I dont know anything about how to fix it. I have read that there have been situations, that certain audio drivers dont work right with some puppy builds. But I will inform if find something more spesific.
I dont have problems with audio, the sliders stick and even my inbuild microphone works.

I have compiled more wifi drivers, gonna add PupSnap-1.4-Scrot screen capture app, new batch-rename-convert-gui, menumaker-1.0 and fix the sambaclient to the next Snow Puppy-009

marco07

#114 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Marco07.
Pnethood. You are right. The sambaclient pet I used in woof dont work as it should. Try installing the sambaclient pet below and report.
Istalled and working well. No issues any more.
About flsynclient. It is a bug in the lucid 511 specs. There is a cure, I am sure of it. But meanwhile you should do as I instructed on the first page. Go to the console state. Run xorgwizard and go through it. It will generate needed xorg.conf file. Then back to X by typing xwin. Now the flsynclient should work.
Followed the instructions on post #1. The issue is resolved now.
About audio. Sorry, I dont know anything about how to fix it. I have read that there have been situations, that certain audio drivers dont work right with some puppy builds. But I will inform if find something more spesific.
I dont have problems with audio, the sliders stick and even my inbuild microphone works.
The issue remains. Is not a big deal though.
Thanks for all your guidance. I will keep on testing. It seems it is becoming more stable now and i getting to like it more.

nooby

#115 Post by nooby »

marco07 Re the low sound volume despite all of us set it on up highest.

There are some Puppies where they ahve a boost 200% but sometimes that sound overdrive so it seems not so easy.

You could try to search for the solutions and try one of these with boost and see if you can get those to work in Snow Puppy.

Being lupu511 compatible the chance is rather high it could work unless the kernel being too different.

but all Puppies have been this way. Extremely low sound. It is a known thing. I sadly get a lot of hum due to the low output. But Snow puppy are not lower than the rest except the few that have the boost. so search for these and do a USB or DVD or Frugal install of one of them to compare with.

I am using Snow puppy 08 as my main puppy now.

marco07

#116 Post by marco07 »

@nooby:
Thanks for your note. I have already tried a few puppy versions. But snow Puppy fits best on my laptop because the Fn keys, suspend, hibernate, etc all work well.
So, I do not feel the sound low volume is of that significant to me.

pemasu

#117 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-009 is released. It consists of bug fixes, updates and also new applications.

I have updated the kernel to include some wifi drivers requested in this thread. Radky`s excellent Pup* apps are updated and PupSnap screen capture app is added. Thank you radky. I have also added recursive filename converter gui by ravensrest. Xvidcap is brought back. I just want to have one nice screen capture recorder in my distro. Also menu entry maker is added. It creates working .desktop files easily. Thank you trio. Pmusic is updated to the latest.
Pnethood bug is fixed. The /usr/bin/smbclient wasnt copied by woof. It is now included.

Iso size is now 229 Mb. I try to keep iso under 230 Mb nowadays.
I will update the first page soon.

Download links and md5sums:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-009/

nooby

#118 Post by nooby »

pemasu, soon number 10 then :)

I did update or upgrade by copying the savefile from 8 into the snowpuppy9 folder.

shall I do the same with snowpuppy9 ? Is it a safe way to update or does some libs get missing or some other things broken. How to you do? Do you start all over each time?

pemasu

#119 Post by pemasu »

nooby, I just dont know if there will be problems. Just test. I have always all my data outside savefile. That`s why I try to build my distro, so that you won`t have to install so much extra apps. I have Libre Office and Thunderbird as standalone versions for all puppies.

I think it should work. But if you get errors, I suggest that you test also with fresh install, before reporting bug.

marco07

#120 Post by marco07 »

@pemasu:
Like nooby, I also like to know if I have to go thru a clean install or is it possible to upgrade the Snow Puppy 008?
I have already customized 008 to my liking as you helped me to overcome some of the issues I had. If possible to upgrade, please describe How?
Thanks!
P.S. In 008 I noticed that Libre Office Impress does not play music or sound embedded in the slides. I know in other distros this plays well because of a bunch of gstreame's plug ins which are not included in any Puppy version AFAIK. Could this be resolved perhaps in the next version?
Thanks again!
Edited later>
Hoops! I noticed you already responded to nooby.