Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nooby

#981 Post by nooby »

Grtub4dos will only work of it has gotten the grub2 features and I am not sure if it has.

So I need a grub2 installed to usb using Puppy or Lupu version of P.

But maybe Rcrsn51 has a working version of that ubuntu program or the general Gnome? grub2 program that latest Ubuntus make use of since 9.04 or was it 9.10? At least since 10.04 I am sure of. :)

So maybe Rcrsn51 have accomlish it. We had no such ability prior or officially before.

so unless the grub4dos guys have added some very new patches inspired by grub2 then grub4dos will not do it unless it is Fat32 or Ext2,or 3.

While Grub2 can do it on NTFS as I get it. But I can not install grub2 on the HDD due to Windows have their identity made that one don't tamper with it. I am going to bed now. Thanks for caring about my needs.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#982 Post by playdayz »

This seems interesting - Conkeror browser - keyboard-centric (very)

Built with XUL-Runner but without the chrome - very fast if you like the keyboard approach

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet

playdayz

#983 Post by playdayz »

nooby wrote:Grtub4dos will only work of it has gotten the grub2 features and I am not sure if it has.

so unless the grub4dos guys have added some very new patches inspired by grub2 then grub4dos will not do it unless it is Fat32 or Ext2,or 3.
Ah, I think I see, you want it to work with an NTFS file system on the usb flash drive. When I tested, the usb flash drive had a Linux file system, ext 3, maybe also with ext 4.

bigpup

#984 Post by bigpup »

From Grub4dos Now at version 1.7
Grub4dos supports many file system: NTFS, VFAT, EXT2, EXT3, EXT4. ReiserFS is supported by v1.6.9 and later.
Grub4dos is upper compatible with (legacy) grub, can do all the legacy grub can do.

Remarkable is NTFS support. Easy to install on Windows pre-installed PC's because linux partitions are not essential,
Boots up Puppy(frugal and full) and other Linux and Windows.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

rcrsn51

#985 Post by rcrsn51 »

OK. Here is what nooby (and other Puppy newcomers) wants. He wants to make a bootable flash drive for other distros that just contains the ISO files. Meaning that you don't have to unpack the ISO and copy the individual files onto the flash drive. You can also multi-boot several distros off the same flash drive just by adding their ISO files and modifying the grub menu.

Legacy GRUB can't do this at all and GRUB4DOS can only do it for some simple ISOs. GRUB2 can do it for a wider variety of distros. I now have a GRUB2 flash drive that successfully boots Ubuntu 10 and Tiny Core.

I am currently downloading some other distros to see how easily they can be added.

MinHundHettePerro

#986 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

bigpup wrote:From Grub4dos Now at version 1.7
Excuse me for being a grumpy ?#£@! today :)!
Grub4Dos is currently at ver. 0.4.4 (and has been since 2009), whereas shinobar's Grub4DosConfig is currently at ver. 1.7.
And, then there's grub24dos.... :).

/(an overly nitpicky'ing :shock:) MHHP :)
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

playdayz

#987 Post by playdayz »

OK. Here is what nooby (and other Puppy newcomers) wants. He wants to make a bootable flash drive for other distros that just contains the ISO files.
Thanks rcrsn51. Will you provide a How-To?

rcrsn51

#988 Post by rcrsn51 »

At the moment, this is just a proof-of-concept. Like I said in the other thread, anyone with a Windows setup would be better advised to use Unetbootin.

runtt21

#989 Post by runtt21 »

Sneeky did a video about this , It's called Mulisystem.It uses grub2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tKbesAyUNA

rcrsn51

#990 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sneeky did a video about this , It's called Multisystem.It uses grub2.
Thanks for that. It isn't clear whether Multisystem can handle any distro's ISO or just the ones that have been specifically built to boot that way.

For example, I could not get the Mepis ISO to work with my GRUB2 flash drive setup.

stu90

#991 Post by stu90 »

What about this 'linux live USB creator' for the windowz - says it can do persistence installs for selected distros.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/home

nooby

#992 Post by nooby »

Thanks to all of you for engaging in this side thing on the Lupu52.
rcrsn51 are you using Lupu520 or some other puppy when you did the compiling?

I mean such things seems to relate on kernels and such.

Pupitup don't have the kernel with the Atheros driver I need to go out on the internet. So sure I can use it for music but not internet.

Lupu until I realized I needed nosmp added to the kernel line booted unreliably on my Acer D250.

So if you make a pet for Puppy I hope it is Lupu520 so as many as possible get to use it? Would be very nice to have.

No I don't want to use Windows and Unetbootin and don't want to use Ubuntu either. I can accept TCL or Knoppix or CDLinux (Slax based) and prefer Puppy so one knows one can rely on people caring about it if something goes wrong.

Grub4Dos can not do such thigns on NTFS which Grub2 can do unless Grub4Dos has recently got patches or new release or unofficial new features but that would have been shouted out in triumph by those that modded it.

rcrsn51

#993 Post by rcrsn51 »

nooby wrote:So if you make a pet for Puppy I hope it is Lupu520 so as many as possible get to use it? Would be very nice to have.
That's not going to happen. If a nooby just wants to play around at testing distros, a USB+GRUB2+ISO setup is too complicated and unpredictable.

Especially when there are so many simpler ways of doing it.

nooby

#994 Post by nooby »

Rcrsn51 said: Especially when there are so many simpler ways of doing it.

Such as what?

stu90 yes I downloaded it but are too scared to test it using wine on Puppy. But does it do grub2 on the usb?

playdayz

#995 Post by playdayz »

The latest Wine 1.3.13 has been added to PPM. Thanks to green_dome.

stu90

#996 Post by stu90 »

nooby wrote:
stu90 yes I downloaded it but are too scared to test it using wine on Puppy. But does it do grub2 on the usb?
Nooby i believe it is a windowz program - i do not use windows so i don't really know how or what it does. If yo have windows + a USB drive, why not give it a try if it is rubbish just format the USB drive and all traces of it will be gone.

bigpup

#997 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:The latest Wine 1.3.13 has been added to PPM. Thanks to green_dome.
I updated PPM with the the update Lupu PPM in Quickpet.
After reboot went to PPM to download this new version of Wine.
In PPM went to setup and this new version of Wine not listed.
Did search for Wine and new version showed up in search results.
Possible problem with update of PPM?
See attached pictures.
Attachments
wine 2 PPM.jpg
after update Lupu PPM in Quickpet
(61.74 KiB) Downloaded 1912 times
wine PPM.jpg
after search for Wine
(43.41 KiB) Downloaded 1947 times

playdayz

#998 Post by playdayz »

Bigpup, I don't know. I just tested and it showed up in both traditional PPM and zigbert PPM. I updated Lupu PPM with Quickpet and then rebooted.

But, I am noticing that your version of zigbert PPM looks different than mine--mine has the repos, etc., on the right. Does that mean anything?
Attachments
wine.png
(58.6 KiB) Downloaded 454 times

bigpup

#999 Post by bigpup »

I forgot my version of Lucid 5.2 is highly modified.
I do have one of those alternate versions of the PPM layout.
That is probably the problem.
Sorry for the false bug. Maybe?

Kind of goes along with this problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#490398
Last edited by bigpup on Tue 15 Feb 2011, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1000 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Please help with a mystery.

1. Use Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM to get the latest Packages-puppy-lucid-official (contents of PPM).

2. Look under System for libpython, hal, gparted <not there>

3. Search for libpython, hal, gparted <are there>

Why is this happening? Thank you.
Did you figure this out?