Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#61 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-006 is uploaded.
I added the Scribus and updated Vlc to 1.1.5. Pupradio is also updated. Sfs on the fly is now 0.8 version.
Iso size is still about the same 220 Mb.

I will update the first page later.

Download links and md5sums: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-006/

bwh1969

r8192se_pci realtek wifi source=build but invalid module

#62 Post by bwh1969 »

Here is the source for a somewhat common realtek wifi card

http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downlo ... loads=true

I tried to compile it, but I am getting "invalid module format"

If anyone is set up to compile successfully, can you post a pet for this particular kernel (oddly, it works in fluppy with the same kernel so after the invalid module format issue, I tried just insmod'ing the fluppy version but I got the same error.

I also tried using ndiswrapper,: ndiswrapper -i works to install the windows .inf file but when ndiswrapper is modprobed, there is no module for ndiswrapper. I did a search of /lib and found no reference to it.

nooby

#63 Post by nooby »

pemasu, thanks for providing this. What is most important to test?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#64 Post by pemasu »

bwh1969: I will try it when I have time. Today or tomorrow.

I will look for ndiswrapper also. I haven`t compiled it into distro, but now there seems to be interest for it.

Thank you of your interest.
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 15 Feb 2011, 06:21, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#65 Post by pemasu »

nooby: For testing. Just overall use. To find out if there is something instable or not working. I am not expecting any problems, but you never know.

nooby

#66 Post by nooby »

I booted 06 and first saw that it chose 800x600 instead of 1024x768 but that was easy to change.

Connection to internet worked out of the box.

But VLC had not the installed codex you had in first Snow Puppy 5 or the second 5 either. In them I could play anything it just worked.

Here in 06 it says that it does not have the codec for mp4 videp or for wmv video. So that works for people good at reading manuals they can find out how to set up the codec for such but newbies like me rather give up and test some other puppy or other linux.

I've not tested Firefox yet. Swedish keyboard worked :)

pemasu

#67 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. Good to know about missing codecs in VLC. It is Barry Kauler`s compiled VLC 1.1.5. I thought it would support all formats. I need to check another VLC or even roll back to VLC 1.0.6.

nooby

#68 Post by nooby »

I know too little to really say but for somebody on my level one need a hands on to get it going. To go into settings and turn things on and such.

Don't get me wrong maybe the VLC has it all if one know how to activate it which I have no clue on how to do? I just reported that the difference to the older Snow puppy 5 was that that one just played everything I gave it and that is why I have used it daily since you posted on it. It is my fave puppy just now.

06 did not play the two formats I tested it with. I did not test mov or flv or RM or avi so don't know about them.

All else looked okay.

marco07

#69 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:

I will look for ndiswrapper also. I haven`t compiled it into distro, but now there seems to be interest for it.
Yes. Please!
The lack of ndiswrapper discouraged me and kept me away from snowpuppy since I tried one of the early versions. I am glad to read that you plan to include it. This is one of the essentials when installing on older system.
Looking forward for a new release.
Thanks!

yordanj94

bg phonetic

#70 Post by yordanj94 »

Hi.
I tried Snow Puppy 006 today .
All was fine,but i couldn't install BgPhonetic from
Setup-Change the mouse and keyboard-Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration-Layouts
Maybe i am doing something wrong ?
Greetings.

pemasu

#71 Post by pemasu »

yordanj94. I recommend to use menu - setup- setup puppy - personalize settings for language and keyboard. Or menu - desktop - country settings - *
The old menu - setup - mouse/keyboard wizard is obsolote. I will remove it in the future.

I will post new Snow Puppy-007 soon. I recompiled the kernel and made new source.sfs. There really was something wrong with the previous one. I didnt recognize that before, because my own kernel module compilings didnt have problems. But the latest 8172u didnt compile right. Now i succeeded with it. Will post the kernel driver soon.

Nooby. VLC 1.1.5 did play mp4 movie I had just fine.

yordanj94

#72 Post by yordanj94 »

Hi.
I did it but nothing happened .
What i wanted was to have BgPhonetic as a second keyboard and to change it from us to bg when i have to write in bulgarian.
No success the system doesn't let me do it.

pemasu

#73 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-007 is uploaded. It has now recompiled 2.6.35.7 kernel and kernel source.sfs is also new one. Snow Puppy-001-006 used kernel 2.6.35.7-lupe4. Kernel is now 2.6.35.7-lupe5. The Kernel source.sfs is accordinglly uploaded.
The previous kernel modules wont work with this newly compiled kernel, if somebody has made them or downloaded those rt....sta kernel drivel modules posted previously in the thread. I will start to collect new kernel driver modules to the 2.6.35.7-lupe5.pet according to requests and also post them as pets. In the long run Snow Puppy will have those drivers preinstalled in distro.

Inside Snow Puppy-007 should have same apps as Snow Puppy-006. Iso size 218 Mb.

Download links and md5sums: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-007/

Download link for kernel source.sfs:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... -lupe5.sfs

And then the latest requests. But no promise of working.
These pet`s are for Snow Puppy-007 and up.
Please report the results.
Attachments
8712u-k2.6.35.7.pet
8712u is for RTL8188SU/8191SU/8192SU/8712SU Realtek usb wireless chips
(150.3 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
ndiswrapper-1.56.pet
The pet installs ndiswrapper.ko and executes #depmod. It also installs the appropriate binaries for usage.
(102.51 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

nooby

#74 Post by nooby »

Okay I do a fast test of this one and then go to bed :)

Back booted into 007 :)

Nope same problem here too.
No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "h264". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
I tried to play a mp4 file from youtube that almost every one of of the modern puppies that I've tested do play.

Pictures works well though. VLC in your old 05 did worked well.

HTML graphic on Puppy forum split up making it almost unreadable when one scroll fast. But that has been for a long time and most often goes away after reboot to the new driver?

Now I shut down linux for today most likely.

pemasu

#75 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. Thanks of your testing. VLC needs some investigation. Unfortunately codecs are hardcoded when compiling. Only way is to revert to the previous one or try another.

The browser problem happens to me also sometimes. Fortunately it has gone away after rebooting.

For ndiswrapper usage. I really don`t know much about it. For easier usage i made modified build of net_setup-20101020.pet

It will add back the classic internet wizard. After installing the pet the Internet by wired or wireless LAN menu option is enabled. So you can use it for ndiswrapper and windows .inf files loading. But I removed the original rc.network script from the pet, because Snow Puppies use modified rc.network already. Does that affect the loading of ndiswrapper or usage of windows driver, I don`t know. But you can test and report.

jim3630

#76 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Nooby. Thanks of your testing. VLC needs some investigation. Unfortunately codecs are hardcoded when compiling. Only way is to revert to the previous one or try another.

The browser problem happens to me also sometimes. Fortunately it has gone away after rebooting.

For ndiswrapper usage. I really don`t know much about it. For easier usage i made modified build of net_setup-20101020.pet

It will add back the classic internet wizard. After installing the pet the Internet by wired or wireless LAN menu option is enabled. So you can use it for ndiswrapper and windows .inf files loading. But I removed the original rc.network script from the pet, because Snow Puppies use modified rc.network already. Does that affect the loading of ndiswrapper or usage of windows driver, I don`t know. But you can test and report.
Hi, enjoyed ver.006 was able to connect with wifi straight away on my Latitude D610 with BCM 4313 ethernet. Now no go. will try this pet and let you know. thanks for the puppy jim

bwh1969

reaktec

#77 Post by bwh1969 »

with the sfs for the source included in 007, the realtec 8192se_pci source built fine.

Oddly, dhcpcd did not exist on my machine, nor dhclient. I tried both from the command line. I installed a pet for dhcpcd for 431 and rebooted and frisbee was able to configure my wireless and connect.

It still says wlan0 is down on boot and does not connect until I launch frisbee manually (I don't need to do anything other than open frisbee from the menu though so it did save my profile).

At any rate, it looks great and works fairly well. I would make a pet package for the wireless but I am unsure how to go about that as I have never tried it.

James C

#78 Post by James C »

Finally made the time to do a manual frugal install of 007 on my main Linux box.Everything worked on initial boot.......screen resolution(1440x900), internet and sound.
I'll confirm the missing codecs for VLC...mp4,wmv,avi,rm and mov results in no video in VLC.......they all play fine in MPlayer though. :)
It's nice that you included Streamtuner 2, I use it a lot.
No real problems have appeared yet so on to some testing.Really solid release. :)

pemasu

#79 Post by pemasu »

Hi folks. Thank you of your reports. The internet connection problems needs definetely investigation. I will look on to it. And make fixing pet or new Snow Puppy with fixes when I hopefully have resolved them. I made many things in fast time to get kernel module compiling environment working. Distro checking wasnt the first thing.

bwh1969. Please, can you upload the kernel module driver, ....ko something. I will package it as pet and i will also include it to the next Snow Puppy.

jim3630. What seems to be the problem. Does the driver load ? Doesnt it find your dhcp provider ? Or something else. I am curious and willing to find cure. Thank you.

About VLC. I will roll back to the good old 1.0.6 build which just works. There is also the dejan555 build version 1.1.0. When I meet him in the irc, I will ask if it supports those formats. Compiling VLC is something I still wouldnt like to do.

Dhcpcd. It is included in Snow Puppy in /usr/local/sbin/dhcpcd. It should be launched by Frisbee. At least it is with my laptop.

pemasu

#80 Post by pemasu »

Internet connection problems. I found already one reason.
In /etc/init.d there are 2 Frisbee launchers. 10-Frisbee and Frisbee. Delete /etc/init.d/10-Frisbee script. It is older one and not needed. Probably disturbs normal Frisbee startup. I will fix the problem in the next Snow Puppy.