Puppy Lucid 5.2 no modem detection

Please post any bugs you have found
Diamond

Puppy Lucid 5.2 no modem detection

#1 Post by Diamond »

Hi to all puppy lovers!

I have an old hardware lucent modem,and puppy 5.2 wont recognize it.Puppy 4.3.3. is working flaweless,and recognize modem "out of the box"

Any solution ?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

I think there are some extra drivers for old hardware in Puppy Package Manager.
Look in Puppy Lucid repository->system
Pet is extra_drivers-lucid52

Also look in Lucid news in Quickpet under help.

Diamond

#3 Post by Diamond »

I have just downloaded extra drivers,no use.What is the problem,why Barry done this ?

I am so disappointed in Puppy,older versions didn't have support for my modem and 4.3 then appeared and everything was fine... But then someone again "kicked out" support for some older hardware.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

playdayz

#5 Post by playdayz »

I have an old hardware lucent modem,and puppy 5.2 wont recognize it.Puppy 4.3.3. is working flaweless,and recognize modem "out of the box"
You should try Wary. That is where support for the older dial-up modems is now.

Diamond

#6 Post by Diamond »

playdayz wrote:
You should try Wary. That is where support for the older dial-up modems is now.
Thank you,but I have new hardware,only my modem is old... Okay,thanx :)

pemasu

#7 Post by pemasu »

I think I included analog modem support package to the Snow Puppy-012 when I woof builded it. Snow Puppy is based on playdayz Lucid 511 specs but most non ubuntu applications are updated and it is made using latest woof.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 097#479097

Diamond

#8 Post by Diamond »

pemasu wrote:I think I included analog modem support package to the Snow Puppy-012 when I woof builded it. Snow Puppy is based on playdayz Lucid 511 specs but most non ubuntu applications are updated and it is made using latest woof.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 097#479097
Thank you for your help,but there is no support here for my Lucent hardware modem.Any other suggestions ? Thanx!

pemasu

#9 Post by pemasu »

I am sorry. I have misled you. I havent ltmodem modules included in Snow Puppy. But I have compiled ltmodem modules though, the sources I found here:

http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.35 ... ty/modems/

The pet includes ltmodem.ko, ungrap-serial.ko and v8250.ko, ltmodem firmware and the pet installs them and executes depmod -a

Diamond

#10 Post by Diamond »

The selected Attachment does not exist anymore

pemasu

#11 Post by pemasu »

Hmm, try again. And I think, you need reboot also. The firmware is /etc/init.d/ltmodem script only.

Diamond

#12 Post by Diamond »

Thank you I tried with given driver,but it is very slow.I don't know if it is from Lucid,or drivers... I thought at first that nothing works... but it works..
I have to switch to puppy 4.3.3
thank you very much for your effort!

pemasu

#13 Post by pemasu »

Yeah. Without even knowing what was the name of the driver you have used in the puppy 4.3.1, it was mostly shooting to the dark.

I noticed that you have posted also in puppy 4.3.1 time and rerwin tried to help you at that time. I couldnt figure out what driver you at last used succesfully.

Diamond

#14 Post by Diamond »

Anyone have some other ideas ? Thanx very much!

I have tried snow puppy,and it can't detect Lucent modem.

Diamond

#15 Post by Diamond »

Please,can someone upload Lucent driver for Puppy ?
I tried many puppy versions,most of them don't have Lucent drivers,only puppy 4.3.3 had.
Please help!
Thank you very much for your effort.

rerwin

#16 Post by rerwin »

Diamond,
I am the "modem guy". I can help if I have so specifics to work with. Generally speaking, Lucent modem support is included in the wary series (which still might work with your newer hardware) and in the lupuplus and luppluslibre 528 distros. Many modem drivers are now in precise pup, but the lucent driver is not among them.

One determining factor in whether that driver is present is the linux kernel version used in a pup. The lucent driver has not kept up with the kernel used in precise (k3.2.29). Actually, there is no indication that the driver is supported for kernels 3.x, so you are limited to puppies that use the 2.6.x kernels.

My recommendation for the long term is to obtain an inexpensive USB modem. I have a Rosewill RNX-56USB ($20) that should be supported for a long time. I base that on the fact that its basic driver is included with the kernel. Mine even works on fatdog64. With that driver (cdc_acm) the modem works but does not produce modem sounds. There is a linuxant driver, dgcmodem, that provides the sound. I expect to be providing versions of that driver for puppy distros that want it. It is kernel-specific, so it may not be available early on in a new distro.
Richard

Diamond

#17 Post by Diamond »

Well friend,that is the problem.
I can't use Wary,because I have new hardware.
For years my modem don't work with Puppy. :(
I thought I don't have to buy a new modem...
Thanks for your effort,anyway.
Cheers!