Questions about FreeBSD and Debian

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
37fleetwood

Questions about FreeBSD and Debian

#1 Post by 37fleetwood »

I've kinda been trained to notice subtle things that signal really big things. often the really big changes are signaled by very subtle announcements, sometimes it's just conspiracy theory stuff but it's good to be aware anyway.
I just noticed on Distrowatch, Debian has just announced the release of Debian 6.0. Nothing amazing about this particularly except for certain language in the announcement. I would draw your attention to two sentences:

first, "Debian systems currently use the Linux kernel."
(what does that mean? aren't they planning to use the Linux kernel in the future?)

Second, "After 24 months of constant development, the Debian project is proud to present its new stable version 6.0 (code name 'Squeeze'). Debian 6.0 is a free operating system, coming for the first time in two flavours. Alongside Debian GNU/Linux, Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is introduced with this version as a 'technology preview'."
(is this a sign of things to come, and what does it mean in general?)

sometimes these things mean nothing but what could the reason be that Debian would be looking at FreeBSD?
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

technosaurus

#2 Post by technosaurus »

Debian does that regularly... woody had a uclibc based build, etch added platforms as did lenny ... oh yeah there is eglibc. I expect a bsd licensed base may follow with bsdlibc & Libc++ (from Apple)...
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

kFreeBSD is a freebsd kernel with a GNU 'system'. Many of the GNU basic utilities needed a bit of 'porting' to make them run with the bsd kernel.

The other reference is to the use of the hurd kernel instead if linux. hurd is a micro-kernel pertaining to the GNU project. It was started even before linux was started -but has only in the last souple of years become barely runnable. Since debian is really big on GNU, they cooperate and promote thse things. Bt don't hold you brath waiting for hurd to mature enough for daily use -GNU is also responsable for the rewrite of grub to grub2 -nearly 10 years later it also is barely usable.

37fleetwood

#4 Post by 37fleetwood »

well that's good news, I'm already traumatized enough over Ubuntu going to the Unity desktop and Gnome going to Gnome Shell, both of which may be cool but neither of which work well enough to know how they are going to turn out. I'm kinda a creature of habit and like regular old Gnome. :lol:
I've never had any luck getting any BSD running, is there any advantage to using it?
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

37, did they not claim that it was more secure than Linux is? Or was that some other Unix variation?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

37fleetwood

#6 Post by 37fleetwood »

I've also heard that BSD was more secure but never heard much about Linux having real insecurities.
I suppose a bank on the moon is less likely to get robbed than one on a desert island but that doesn't address how hard it is to rob a bank on a desert island.
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

ilanrab

#7 Post by ilanrab »

amigo wrote:..-GNU is also responsable for the rewrite of grub to grub2 -nearly 10 years later it also is barely usable.
Amigo,
Since Ubuntu Maverick made the switch to grub2, I also make the switch.
Right now some of my systems are with 1 and some with 2.
There are some tradeoffs between 1 and 2, but either one is manageable from my perspective.
What areas of grub2 do you dislike?
ir
[b]ir[/b]