How can I change double click speed?

Using applications, configuring, problems
WiZard

How can I change double click speed?

#1 Post by WiZard »

I work on a charity project that refurbishes old computers and then donates them to schools, retirement homes, etc. Puppy would be a good alternate to Windows. Puppy's default installation has a double click speed that requires a speed that is to fast for some of our potential users. I have tried adding the line "$CURRENTWM*doubleClickTime: 1200" to xinitrc, but it seems to have no effect. I'm hoping someone has a solution that will let us control the speed.

#2 Post by Guest »

it might work if you add that line to /root/.Xdefaults
which is a hidden file

$CURRENTWM*doubleClickTime: 1200

it might work better if you added these lines:

Fvwm95*doubleClickTime: 1200
Jwm*doubleClickTime: 1200
Icewm*doubleClickTime: 1200

to .Xdefaults ... but i haven't tried it

WiZard

double click speed

#3 Post by WiZard »

Hi, tried adding the lines to Xdefaults and xinitrc:

Fvwm95*doubleClickTime: 1200
Jwm*doubleClickTime: 1200
Icewm*doubleClickTime: 1200

No change in double click response speed. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

it might work if you put in /root/.Xdefaults the line:
*multiClickTime: 1000

or whatever you want to set it to

for icewm, i think you would edit /root/.icewm/preferences and change:

# Multiple click time
# MultiClickTime=400 # [0-5000]

to:

# Multiple click time
MultiClickTime=1000 # [0-5000]

or whatever you want to set it to
1000 would be 1 second ... 5000 would be 5 seconds
(note you need to remove the # from the beginning of the line to un-comment it)

WiZard

double click time

#5 Post by WiZard »

GuestToo, tried in .Xdefaults, xinitrc:
IceWM*MultiClickTime=1000 # [0-5000]

Tried in ice Preferences:
# Multiple click time
MultiClickTime=1000 # [0-5000]

No change in speed. There's got to be another file or configuration switch somewhere. Could it be related to ROX? If you're 80 years old or handicapped you just can't click the mouse at the current default speed.

I've Googled for solutions and haven't found one that works yet. Grateful for your help.

Thanks

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

you have to reboot (or restart X) after editing the file(s) to make the changes take effect

i'm not sure if it is doing anything or not
i think editing the icewm preferences file seems to do something ... when i double click the title bar of a rox window in icewm, the double-click action occurs even if the clicks are 3 or 4 seconds apart ... i think the maximum spread you can set for icewm is 5 seconds (5000) ... i think the default is 2/10 ths of a second (200)

WiZard

double click speed

#7 Post by WiZard »

GuestToo
I did do a reboot after making any of the changes. I have the ROX desktop settings set for double click (for consistency) and am judging the double click speed by double clicking the desktop application icons. Also, judge by using Gxine FILE OPEN functions.

Thanks

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

JWMs /root/.jwmrc has a setting for double-click speed, and thoughtjourney's
new JWM configuration gui will be able to adjust it.
Expect it in 1.0.5.

WiZard

double click speed

#9 Post by WiZard »

Thanks Barry, don't know if that will carry over to icewm or the ROX desktop icons, but will try when it becomes available. There's got to be a way to do it, any other ideas?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

i don't like double-clicking so i always set rox to use single clicking

i've tried a few things with .Xdefaults ... it seems to work for icewm and other programs, but rox (the older version anyway) seems to ignore the changes

i suspect that if rox ignores icewm, it will also ignore jwm

Kenneth Gundry

#11 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

From last September:
"JWMs /root/.jwmrc has a setting for double-click speed, and thoughtjourney's new JWM configuration gui will be able to adjust it. Expect it in 1.0.5."

Well, I have 1.0.8 and although the jwm instructions mention DoubleClickSpeed, it doesn't appear that I can change it in the gui (and I cannot find any .jwmrc file to modify). Is that feature yet to be included? I agree with the original poster that the default double-click is too fast (and it seems faster than the suggested 400 ms).

Kenneth Gundry

lior2b

#12 Post by lior2b »

In console type:

Code: Select all

leafpad ~/.jwmrc
You will find there these lines:

Code: Select all

<!-- Double click speed (in milliseconds) -->
<DoubleClickSpeed>400</DoubleClickSpeed>
Change 400 to whatever suits you, and restart JWM (Start->Shutdown->JWM restart).

Did it solve you problem?
[color=#4682B4]Lior Tubi[/color]

Kenneth Gundry

#13 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

Thank you. That looked as if it ought to work (I don't know why I couldn't find .jwmrc yesterday!), and indeed that file contained the lines you showed. I changed 400 to 1000, saved the file and restarted jwm, but it made no difference. To make sure I was not dreaming, I temporarily changed it to 10000; again no joy.

Then I searched and found a further three files containing DoubleClickSpeed settings, all in /root/ .jwm/, called jwmrc-personal, jwmrc-personal2 and jwmrc-personal-save, all with the DoubleClickSpeed set to 400, so I changed ALL of those and saved the results (and confirmed by closing and reopening that indeed the changes had been stored ... I'm getting paranoid!). It still made no difference.

I also rebooted, just in case restarting jwm wasn't sufficient, and confirmed that the revised files still contained the changes (I use a multisession CDRW). I am clearly missing something. (At least I now know how to search for files and text within files!)

Kenneth Gundry

Kenneth Gundry

#14 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

Still no joy. I have searched for other things that might affect the double click speed (lke MultiClickTime, DoubleClickTime) but they don't seem to exist. I am pretty sure the present, presumably default, double click speed is in fact faster than the 400 ms that it appeared to be set to in .jwmc. I usually have to try two or three times and need to operate the mouse button as fast as I possibly can. I would appreciate suggestions. I don't have any problem double clicking in other operating systems!

Kenneth Gundry

kwiller

#15 Post by kwiller »

Kenneth Gundry wrote:Still no joy. I have searched for other things that might affect the double click speed (lke MultiClickTime, DoubleClickTime) but they don't seem to exist. I am pretty sure the present, presumably default, double click speed is in fact faster than the 400 ms that it appeared to be set to in .jwmc. I usually have to try two or three times and need to operate the mouse button as fast as I possibly can. I would appreciate suggestions. I don't have any problem double clicking in other operating systems!

Kenneth Gundry
I might be wrong, but it looks to me from the source code of JWM that the DoubleClickSpeed configuration option only affects the speed of double-clicking on a window's title-bar. There is no way I can find of altering the speed for item selection. :(

I can only suggest that you install xfce4 as your windows manager which does, I believe, permit setting the click speed in the way you want.

Kenneth Gundry

#16 Post by Kenneth Gundry »

Oh, computers make me, a mere electronics engineer, feel so stupid! I downloaded and installed the pup files for xfce4 and xinitrc (finding the "real" xfce4 was not available because of a server crash, but the simple one was accessible). I found, as someone else had too, that in fact at the command prompt it was necessary to enter xwin xfwm4, not xwin xfce4, and a desktop then appeared on screen. However, it was only the top left quarter of the desktop content (therefore not including the start button) and everything was blown up hugely.. Right-clicking gave me options for ROX but nothing on the basic display. I played for a while to find a way to correct the display and gave up. Fortunately xwin jwm went back to my normal satisfactory display, and since I am using a multisession CDRW, I could choose not to save, so that at the next reboot I was/am back where I was.

How do I make xfce4 work? None of the items on the forum seems to address this problem.

Kenneth Gundry

kwiller

Mousekeys

#17 Post by kwiller »

Having further investigated the problem I'm not even sure that xfce would be any better than jwm in providing a solution to the too-fast-double-click case. At this point I'd just like to declare a personal interest in finding a solution, as I suffer from Parkinson's disease and have recently been finding increased difficulty in using the mouse.

The solution I've only just adopted may be of interest to you - the use of mousekeys. The X windowing system permits the binding of mouse movements and events to the keyboard - including the button double-click.

There is also a small utility, accessx, that allows you to turn the bindings on and off. I've attached an archive to this post that provides AccessX and can be installed as an Alien Package. This package also provides a file .Xmodmap which contains the key mappings I use for mouse click events. The keycodes may be different depending on your keyboard layout, but you can use the xev utility to dicover each key's number.

My keyboard has a UK layout and my mapping uses the keypad "/", "*", "-" for single clicks, and the "SysRq", "Scroll-Lock", "Break", for double-clicks.

Mouse movement is, by default, mapped to the keypad numeric keys.
Attachments
accessx.tar.gz
Utility that sets and displays the XKEYBOARD (XKB) AccessX features.
(14.65 KiB) Downloaded 441 times

ecomoney

#18 Post by ecomoney »

Ive been using puppy for five years, and still not found the setting for the double click speed! :oops: Ive noticed a lot of new users find the fast double click speed difficult too. Any suggestions?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

amj

#19 Post by amj »

The 'Index of resources for Beginners' directs people to this thread - but there is no answer here.

The double click speed Puppy requires from the user needs to be made adjustable.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

See here for a solution