Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#921 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
I tried Lupu 520 on my 600MHz 256MB computer,
What kind of cpu? Did Lucid 5.1.1 run any better? Can you try Wary? Is the Live-CD loading into ram--you can know because it takes a while and you can see the cd light spinning. You are entering 'puppy pfix=ram' at boot?

600MHz *is* slow--A typical computer of a year or two ago would have 4 cores at 3000MHz each--that would be, yikes, 20 times faster (potentially anyway). Lucid does concentrate on newer computers, with Wary for older ones.

Lucid has run on slower computers though. It *should* load into ram on a 256 MB ram machine--it does on my test machine, a 900MHz 256MB ram P3 Thinkpad.
I've tested all of the Lupu/Lucid releases on my old P3 test box (733 Mhz/ 256 Mb ram w/ 1 Gb swap) and it's perhaps a bit slower than 4.31 but not enough to make a real difference to me.
I did a test install of one of the later Luci's on a 500 Mhz Celeron w/128 Mb ram (512 Mb swap) and it doesn't run half bad.

bigpup

#922 Post by bigpup »

Lucid 5.2 in PCWorld.

Good glowing report about Lucid 5.2. All good comments.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... ux_52.html

peebee

#923 Post by peebee »

James C wrote:
playdayz wrote:
I tried Lupu 520 on my 600MHz 256MB computer,
What kind of cpu? Did Lucid 5.1.1 run any better? Can you try Wary? Is the Live-CD loading into ram--you can know because it takes a while and you can see the cd light spinning. You are entering 'puppy pfix=ram' at boot?

600MHz *is* slow--A typical computer of a year or two ago would have 4 cores at 3000MHz each--that would be, yikes, 20 times faster (potentially anyway). Lucid does concentrate on newer computers, with Wary for older ones.

Lucid has run on slower computers though. It *should* load into ram on a 256 MB ram machine--it does on my test machine, a 900MHz 256MB ram P3 Thinkpad.
I've tested all of the Lupu/Lucid releases on my old P3 test box (733 Mhz/ 256 Mb ram w/ 1 Gb swap) and it's perhaps a bit slower than 4.31 but not enough to make a real difference to me.
I did a test install of one of the later Luci's on a 500 Mhz Celeron w/128 Mb ram (512 Mb swap) and it doesn't run half bad.
I can beat that - lupu runs fine on my Thinkpad 600 with a 266MHz PII and just 196MB ram with a 2GB swap partition. Not lightning fast but perfectly usable for surfing the net....manual frugal install. Certainly much much much quicker than XP :wink:
Last edited by peebee on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

gerry

#924 Post by gerry »

My cpu is Intel Celeron Coppermine 600MHz. Wary runs fine, but not quite as fast as 431. What is puzzling is that other people are reporting good performance on slower machines.

And where is all that cpu time going if it is not listed by Top? The processes listed by Top add up to less than 10% of cpu time.

gerry

nooby

#925 Post by nooby »

Yes and no I had to update the ppm thing first build some database it told me, took some 30 minutes to do. :) Maybe it was needed but it was impossible to install the first one I found, tested with three resposities and after it the update of database it just worked.

Have to run now can not test until some six hours from now. will be away.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

chrismt

#926 Post by chrismt »

Thanks for the instant update!

playdayz

#927 Post by playdayz »

es and no I had to update the ppm thing first build some database it told me,
Nooby, To update just the puppy-lucid repo (which is all you really need) use Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM. It's very fast.

stu90, I made Fotowall into a pet and added to PPM.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet

gerry

#928 Post by gerry »

Well, having got fed up with trying to get Lupu 520 to perform at faster than a snail's pace on the old, slow, 600MHz 256MB machine, I took my life in my hands and put the cd into my wife's P4 3GHz 512MB machine. Booted fast, and the Personalise panel appeared. Started to select a UK keyboard-- and it crashed! No response to Control-alt-backspace, no response to anything, so it was time for the shiny button on front of the computer. Then I had to reboot, get the cd out, and check that Windows was still working before I got turned out of the house.

This Lupu thing is getting dangerous...

gerry

gcmartin

I am wrong I thinnk about pfix=ram and MultiPUP

#929 Post by gcmartin »

Jasper wrote:Hi bigpup,
If you try puppyluvr's MultiPup version 1.0 (with just Lupu 5.2 if you wish) I believe the code he uses will eliminate the problem. ... My regards
I going to go out on a limb here in trying to help. As I understand it, the pfix=ram is a problem in base SFS that come with the Puppy system(s). Without the "fix", a Puppy derivative may have the problem that was surfaced.

I am not sure that MultiPUP (which I like and use) FIXES a problem in the Puppy Boot process that exists within a distro's SFS. That's NOT my understanding that somehow MultiPUP goes into your SFS and applies a fix.

I wonder, am I wrong on this?
Hope this helps

gcmartin

Common problem

#930 Post by gcmartin »

I believe that I had commented many months ago about the need to identtify a "target" system that a Puppy distro should acceptably run on.
I thnk @Gerry exhibits the reason such a publish should be added to every disto's announcement. (At least processor and memory).

Although his problem may, well indeed, be a problem with his CD's burn, it would be good for him to know if his LiveCD is suited for his hardware system.

This post is NOT a complaint. Just something for us to consider if its useful to do so.

Hope this helps.

Jasper

#931 Post by Jasper »

Hi gcmartin,

I think MutiPup (as opposed to just "puppy pfix= ram") uses for lupu 520:

root=/dev/ram0 pfix=ram psubdir=lupu-520

and, of course you may well be right, but I recall that it worked for me (with frugal lupu installs also on my hard drive).

My regards

gcmartin

MultiPUP and PUP65.2

#932 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Jasper
Seems, based upon what you show, MultiPUP boot-time parameters circumvents this problem. Maybe the Lucid 5.2 can publish LiveCD parameters to circumvent the problem when the LIveCD is booted. and we want to run "pfix-ram"

Can anyone announce something official for LiveCD use?

chrismt

#933 Post by chrismt »

@ playdaz

I wish you might integrate TOR with puppy in the next version or so or put TOR in the PPM

I found that coolpup has compiled them here

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/tor

I was wondering why i have to install that version of SSL when there is already an SSL in 5.2 for TOR to work

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/openssl

I hope you can understand the necessity of me having TOR because I live in an Arab Islamic country which places restrictions on websites and restricts my free speech

For example

Such anonymizing software like TOR will make puppy popular in this part of world and others.

I will just need to put a live cd to access site

Just my opinion ofcourse

nancy reagan

announcement

#934 Post by nancy reagan »

playdayz wrote:Announcing Here First: Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 52-001.pet

This is *not* a crucial bug-fix update because we simply have not found enough bugs to justify that. However it does contain a few nice enhancements.

=> PupControl 1.3 by radky starts with the Setup Icon on the desktop

=> Desksetup Icon Templates by 01micko to make it easy to adjust icon placement on Desktop

=> Quickpet 4.1 - the latest version by 01micko, updates the contents of Puppy Package Manager and SFS Get - There are a lot of nice new packages available - including both LibreOffice3 3.3 and OpenOffice 3.3 prepared by jim1911

=> gparted 0.5.1 - reverted because some people had trouble - if you want 0.6.2 it is in PPM

If you are already using PupComboPlus (which includes PupControl 1.3 and Desksetup) this will install right over it.
You can also install PupComboPlus over this update (LupuNews -> Fun tab).
Would it be comfortable -especially for new users- to place this announcement on page 1 as well ?

ICPUG

Re: MultiPUP and PUP65.2

#935 Post by ICPUG »

gcmartin wrote:Thanks @Jasper
Seems, based upon what you show, MultiPUP boot-time parameters circumvents this problem. Maybe the Lucid 5.2 can publish LiveCD parameters to circumvent the problem when the LIveCD is booted. and we want to run "pfix-ram"

Can anyone announce something official for LiveCD use?
Yes - I wish there was an official list too! Maybe there is one on the wiki?

That root=/dev/ram0 has been completely useless for frugal installs since Puppy series 2 and yet it still keeps popping up!

It is probably the psubdir speeding things up (bootup), although I am not quite sure why that should affect pfix=ram.

Word of warning to this producing an official boot code list. Barry made some changes towards the end of last year. I would have to search his blog to find out what they were (pfix=copy, pfix=nocopy, pfix =noram ???). While his latest Wary will have these changes I am not sure of the status of Lupu.

playdayz

#936 Post by playdayz »

Would it be comfortable -especially for new users- to place this announcement on page 1 as well ?
Done nancyreagan.

01micko

#937 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:Announcing Here First: Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 52-001.pet

This is *not* a crucial bug-fix update because we simply have not found enough bugs to justify that. However it does contain a few nice enhancements.

=> PupControl 1.3 by radky starts with the Setup Icon on the desktop

=> Desksetup Icon Templates by 01micko to make it easy to adjust icon placement on Desktop
=> Quickpet 4.1 - the latest version by 01micko, updates the contents of Puppy Package Manager and SFS Get - There are a lot of nice new packages available - including both LibreOffice3 3.3 and OpenOffice 3.3 prepared by jim1911

=> gparted 0.5.1 - reverted because some people had trouble - if you want 0.6.2 it is in PPM

If you are already using PupComboPlus (which includes PupControl 1.3 and Desksetup) this will install right over it.
You can also install PupComboPlus over this update (LupuNews -> Fun tab).
Also on the first page of the feedback/bugs thread

:wink:

EDIT: there is a 403 error on the libreoffice sfs (permissions?)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#938 Post by playdayz »

Here is Frisbee-beta-2-lucid52 for Lucid 5.2. It is one package--everything included. I uninstalled beta 1 then installed beta 2. I had to redo the profile for my wireless.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet

playdayz

#939 Post by playdayz »

Tor and Polipo. This sounds very worthwhile. It also seemed complicated and I was not able to get it working for Firefox 4.0b10. Where did it say that you needed a special version of openssl? If we are really lucky someone might package it all in one pet that is tested and configured for Lucid 5.2 ;-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: there is a 403 error on the libreoffice sfs (permissions?)
Fixed now. Thanks.

stu90

#940 Post by stu90 »

Hi Playdayz
Michalis made a combined package for Tor and Polipo - some one reported that it worked in 5.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64170