pUPnGO - 6Mb ISO - Basic Building Block Puplet

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goingnuts

#281 Post by goingnuts »

Keef: Sorry to hear that! Tested the original build with a pcmcia netcard loaded and observed the hang at shutdown. Made a new build and included the pccardctl and no problems. I will do a re-test. vers 230510 did not have pccardctl included so likely more things are missing... :?
Update: It does not work installed as a "service pack" for me either :cry:
But it seems to work in the new build I am working on without me consciously doing anything for it - beside including pccardctl.

Keef

PCMCIA

#282 Post by Keef »

I'm going to give you a headache now...
Cutting a long story short, I've found that pccardctl doesn't make any difference for me.
After a bit of mindless keybashing, I discovered that ctrl+z will get me to a prompt when it hangs. Reboot or shutdown then works. I can save ok but it will still hang on the next reboot until hitting ctrl+z. This works even without pccardctl.
Hope this helps!

goingnuts

#283 Post by goingnuts »

You got me there Keef! Not headache but I was nearly goingnuts...
Exposing my ignorance - here is what I have found:
/etc/rc.pcmcia calls pcmcia-socket-startup (at boot) which is not present in version 230510 or 041210 and if present dont seem to do anything (think udevd handles this).
At shutdown pccardctl eject is called (eject) which seems to actually eject the device (as light in my netcard goes out). Later this line is called:

Code: Select all

for DRV in yenta_socket i82365 tcic ; do
      grep -qw $DRV /proc/modules && modprobe -r $DRV && echo -n "$DRV " && break
done
which seems to be the real problem. If yenta_socket, i82365 or tcic refuses to be removed you end in a endless loop.

pupngo version 230510 busybox grep do not understand flag "-w" and seems to error out of the loop (?). pupngo vers 041210 do understand -w and continue to modprobe -r which fails (on my machine). And therefore never gets out the loop.

I have tested original grep - same problem in pupngo.

Easy fix is to delete /etc/rc.pcmcia as it seems to do no real important.

Above is probably not a real solution to the problem but the closest I can get with my limited knowledge.
I like the ctrl+z: might come handy when ctrl+c wont work.

Update 020211: Looked a little closer, tried to include dir /etc/pcmcia, org. modprobe and org udev rules incl. pup_event_backend_firmware and pup_event_backend_modprobe with-out success. Then looked at org. p410 behavior running /etc/init.d/rc.pcmcia stop: It fails too but do not get trapped in an endless loop.

Concerning rebuild of vers 041210 to run on AMD K6: Almost finalized but bring no news. Today got I got hands on this fine machine but it will not run pUPnGO. Then tried the P412retro - and it spins. So to not just make a rebuild of vers. 041210 with some "minor" bug fixes and K6-ready I plan the next build to be based on P412 retro to target the old hardware standing unused and forgotten in your basements....

goingnuts

#284 Post by goingnuts »

New build. Not so much new - most stuff is like the 041210 version although discovered "bugs" removed. Tested on AMD K6 32 Mb ram and AMD Athlon 64 3000Mhz 1000Mb ram - so should be "AMDK6-ready" and the fix for ejecting pcmcia should also be included...
Included bl3-sfs and xwoaf-sfs in "/demo" on iso to promote/demonstrate the versatility of pUPnGO in relation to further build. Included also static version of links.
For low ram (16Mb) it is recommended to create a swap-file and save-file before trying to run GUI (or delete pmnet and pmfree as they tend to eat some of your ram...).
The build on the retro P412 mentioned in previous post will have to wait - first tests showed good results but kernel is bigger and no lzma-support present - so tend to be more ram-hungry.

ndujoe1

pupngo iso

#285 Post by ndujoe1 »

I downloaded the pupngo iso to work in the CLI world and learn a bit more about linux. However I confess I am a bit behind the curve. I see the merit of the Links, and the e3 wordprocessor.

But I can't seem to get past square one: how to tell the iso to acknowledge my internet and get the LInks browers to begin.

Some rudimentary instructions to get me started would be welcome.

nooby

#286 Post by nooby »

Dear Devs of pUpnGo

How is this one different from TinyCore? They have 10MB and a GUI and you have 6 and maybe no Gui? Have not looked recently due to me remember I failed to get internet going

ndujoe, maybe you have my problem.
The iso lack the needed driver. I fail internet too.

One need to find the driver and somehow get it useful Way above my knowledge.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

goingnuts

#287 Post by goingnuts »

nooby wrote: How is this one different from TinyCore? They have 10MB and a GUI and you have 6 and maybe no Gui? Have not looked recently due to me remember I failed to get internet going
pUPnGO is a basic building block - extract of the very "core" of Puppy Linux...
Gently modified org. initrd (changed BB and ntfsg3), mainssfs is CLI only and contains only static build programs.
This gives a basis to continue building all static or using any libc you want (ulibc, libc old or new etc.- any version) even loaded as a sfs after creating a save file or load it with otf-sfs-loader. So you can install/uninstall libc without breaking the core system. Busybox resides in initrd.gz and are copied at boot if not present...

Contains file-manager (asmfile), udevd, mksquashfs, grub and most of the needed setup-scripts.

Included on the CD also a GUI-example - as a sfs-package but can be installed (pkginstall.sh also handle install of sfs-files). All set-up-wizards and other scripts should work in console and in GUI (cli/dialog/Xdialog - the later only if present...).

Now personal builds can be done keeping the "core" and adding sfs-files with the new personal stuff - and trespassing the org. 6 sfs-file restriction - load 150 or more - if you have the hardware power. :!:

Core sfs-file size: 1344K - 3800K installed
Example GUI-sfs: 2000K - 3800 installed
On top of that zdrv 21MB with all org P412 drivers, kernel 1500K and initrd.gz 1300K. And zdrvctr is included so you only have to bother your HD with the drivers you need.

Why compare with TC? pUPnGO can run TC delivered as an sfs-file... :) Try loading one of the two demos - xwoaf or bl3. Both just works even though libc and Xlibs are totally different from org. P412. Thats being a building block.

Net problems? If P412 works - pUPnGO should work - same drivers - only wifi progs not included. Try running "firstboot" and configure to autoconnect - or just run netstart at the prompt.

nooby

#288 Post by nooby »

Yes I give it a try soon. Thanks

found this following the link.
Please use in a protected environment (qemu, other emulators or an old not critical pc). The GUI_412.sfs automount all drives found and ntfs-drives might be affected - they are so sensitive...). This is a consequence of using BB mount/umount only - if you want to avoid this behavior install pupngo041210_SP1.pet (contains ntfs-3g/mount/umount full versions static builds).
Is there no other way to avoid they automount everything. Can I not tell it not to on the kernel line?

goingnuts

#289 Post by goingnuts »

Automount is not default anymore. Run setup.sh to enable - beside many other settings. And mount-FULL/umount-FULL is now included together with ntfs-3g so mounts of ntfs should be clean. Automount was only part of the GUI_412.sfs and was never part of the main-sfs.

nooby

#290 Post by nooby »

Thanks that was good to hear. So now I only need to find a way to get internet going? I ahve Atheros 8132 ethernet card

Keef

#291 Post by Keef »

goingnuts:

All good on the PCMCIA front. CF card in adapter is recognised and mounted, and no shutdown problems.
Also, sound is working straight off - couldn't get it going previously (ess1968), so I'm very pleased.

Armada M700
PIII 450
320mb

goingnuts

#292 Post by goingnuts »

I have been a little reluctant to expose the TC_412.sfs (pUPnGO running Tiny Core2 as sfs-extension) as I do not know if I offend anybody or violate some licences...
If I do I will remove it immediately - just let me know.
But here it is: Mainly edited the package installer to use pkginstall.sh (if running without save-file) or to use otf-sfs-loader (if save-file created). By doing that all the original symlinky-dinky is avoided and do not pollute your save file if package is un-installed.
TC_412.sfs it self is loaded via otf-sfs-loader.
There might be several corners of TC that I have not tested and they might not work out of the box...
I supply it as a new build of pUPnGO as small adjustments of the core files has been made.
For those who just want an impression of this release here is a little teaser.
I am not trying to do another puplet - just exercising possibilities with pUPnGO used as a building block - so I do not support or trouble shoot on this one.
download and description
Last edited by goingnuts on Thu 10 Feb 2011, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#293 Post by nooby »

Yes they are very sensitive about such. You ahve to provide the whole script and maybe use some GPL thing too. Have you read about remixes and the policy and rules? Very strict as I get it.

I downloaded it just in case :)

So what meny code should be best for frugal install of that one? I want to test it within some 30 minutes if your still here.

goingnuts

#294 Post by goingnuts »

Yes they are very sensitive about such. You ahve to provide the whole script and maybe use some GPL thing too. Have you read about remixes and the policy and rules? Very strict as I get it.
That is my concern...but still do not know if its only an attitude/rule in the forum or I am breaking any real laws?

Boots in 20 Mb to the GUI, but make a save.file and swap-partition if you start installing packages and open many programs.

technosaurus

#295 Post by technosaurus »

You can offer to provide sources on floppy via snail mail for the cost of media and shipping (some licenses) + provide links to their original source for the rest, if you did not modify the source... otherwise you would need a diff.

I've been playing with httpd and cgi scripts that will act as an interface for the system:
For tray use a 100% width iframe to a page that auto refreshes periodically (for status icons)
To get input to the shell scripts, just use forms... can do anything the system can do... like start up a network connection for starters
Other examples are on pupweb.org for making it "pretty"
I may try to build the pupweb style menu from the .desktop files... if it will work with forms and perhaps a table for some icons
Haven't figured out the pager but may need to store the window id to close, kill, grab focus...
Just have the concepts working now, but I'd like to start using the tiny mcwm as my wm, and still want the eye candy.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

nooby

#296 Post by nooby »

I failed to get internet going but it could be that I know too little about how one set up the interface to the station. It ask my IP but that one get known after it has been requested so it is kind of Catch 22 one are damned whatever one do. Sure one can give a random number based on what has been used up to now but they change the IP now and then when others wake up early and look for the news or whatever and they catch the IP I had last night.

so when it ask such things how do you guys set it up?

goingnuts

#297 Post by goingnuts »

nooby: Why not use qemu emulator for all your testing of different versions/distros? If your host can connect then the system/distro run in qemu just use that connection.

technosaurus: I found that busybox httpd (at least the builds I have tested) keeps your browser waiting for some info that is never send...(browser keeps saying loading page...). Maybe a static build of Hiawatha - think you did one with diet-lib?

nooby

#298 Post by nooby »

But Qemu is way slower than Vbox is it not?
And now when Vbox exists as pet and sfs for to be used in Lupu511 then why use an ultra slow Qemu unless one are buddy to the Dev of it?

Or am not Qemu slow with TCL?

You are right about the connection to internet though. If used on a Puppy that have the right drivers then the virtual one would use that one I find that logical too :)

But then one don't really test the OS one kind of get the wrong impression will it really be usable later on when installed? one need to test that one too.

But back on topic.

How do I set up the network thing in pUPnGO when I don't know the ip before it get decided.

Sure I can boot up Snow puppy and write it down and then reboot and get same IP again but that does not help if pUPnGO fail to load the driver for Atheros 8132 or whatever card I have

goingnuts

#299 Post by goingnuts »

pUPnGO autodetect your netcard and load driver if present. Then it gets ip automatic. I think the driver for your netcard is not in standard P412 and therefore not in pUPnGO. If you are trying to get a wireless to work pUPnGO lacks all the programs to get this going. If you can point me to a driver that you have seen works in P412 make a pet-package of it and install it in pUPnGO - for ethernet you then shoould get a working connection. For wireless you still need other bianries I think.

nooby

#300 Post by nooby »

Thanks then I get it.

Back to using pUpnGo on Vbox or Qemu.

I 've read up on it and one guy wrote this.
qemu is an emulator; it will run like a 1-legged dog. It is the only option if you have a computer with a non-x86 CPU and want to run x86 software.

If you're running x86 software on an x86 machine, virtualbox is the software to use.
another wrote this
KVM (a modified QEMU with kernel support for VT/SVM) runs as fast as native.

The kqemu module is a kernel module for accelerating QEMU without VT/SVM, and is separate to KVM.

You can run plain QEMU (slow!),
QEMU with kqemu (about half native speed),
or KVM (modified QEMU with VT/SVM support).

Both QEMU and KVM are under constant development with frequent updates.

so this text is way over my knowledge to grasp. But if I get it.
The first guy talk about old Qemu that is without the accelerator?
The second guy mention three different versions.
1. Old Qemu
2.KQemu
3.KWM that is the fastest of the three.

But how does KWM compare to Vbox on same Puppy OS?

Sorry to derail your thread